Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Remember when UFC was relevant?

Calgarybuck's picture
July 9, 2014 at 1:38am
59 Comments

Another event cancelled due to a guy (ALDO) getting hurt, nothing against Aldo he'd prob kick my ass but a dude whose 145 getting dinged means you have to scrap a whole event say alot about the depth you have.

Which brings me back to the UFC of 2005-2011

Remember how stacked it used to be? Events worth buying, KO's a plenty.  Nothing against wrestling but I don't recall anyone paying $50 to see 2 guys grapple and not Ko each other.

southernstatesbuckeye's picture

They're worried about concussions.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

A lightweight got dinged up in practice? Im sure the next man up is just as hungry. These guys train very hard and Iwould expect them to get hurt before a boxer or any other type of fighter. Shit can happen but they usually make these things right.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

IH8UOFM's picture

Probably not gonna make any friends with this one, but I loved the way Brock Lesnar came in and rose through the ranks so quickly.

+5 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I'm a huge Lesnar fan! It's a shame he got so sick, otherwise he still may be champion right now. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

eh....

I love me some "The 1 in 21 and 1," but his skills just were not on par with others.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

I REALLY hope that was a joke.  Lesner couldn't beat the bottom of the barrel in the UFC.  He would get absolutely destroyed by anyone in the top 10.  He knew it.  That's why he quit.  Over-roid put a beating on him and he, himself, has taken a beating from everyone else.  Lesner was a total farce.

-2 HS
highwire's picture

Lesnar had diverticulitus, nearly died, and still managed to become the champion despite limited training. He was the more over with casual fans than any other competitor has been, I would guess if he was still around I'd still see douchebags running around with gaudy UFC gear.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Meh, he beat a washed up, 70 lbs smaller, 46 year old Randy Couture before the sickness set in and didn't beat anyone else worth mentioning.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Lesner didn't "rise through the ranks".  He was a known commodity to the casual fan so a quick way to make a lot of money.  Not only did he SUCK at fighting, he was a total pussy that covered up as soon as he was hit.  Talk about a paper tiger.

-3 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I'm not here to defend Lesnar (because frankly I dont care about UFC anymore), but I'm pretty sure there is only one NCAA wrestler I can name off-hand,  that is more accomplished than him.

+4 HS
KB3RG's picture

Chris Weidman Hofstra
Cain Velasquez - ASU state champ. Hell, ASU alone put out Josh Koscheck, CD Dolloway, Ryan Bader
Rashad Evans - MSU wrestler 
Mark Coleman - Columbus born. Wrestled for OSU, won a  NCAA championship. Went to the Olympics... 

Frankie Edgar Clarion
Dan Henderson - Cal State and ASU...
Tito Ortiz -Cal State
Matt Hughes - Eastern Illinois 

There is a lot of talented wrestlers who go into MMA now

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Josh Koscheck

Wrestled at some unknown school in Pa not ASU.

You can add Coleman's friend Kevin Randleman. He was definitely an All- American at tOSU; I heard he won the NCAA tourney and had a dislocated jaw in a match. I think there's a couple other guys in Hammerhouse too.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

You are correct on both

Josh was at Edinboro University in PA. I know he trains out of Arizona and there are a bunch from ASU and for some reason his name was in that bunch. 

Coleman was a beast. I actually had seats that were next to Coleman at a WEC event in Columbus a few years back. 

Curt Heinrichs's picture

Currently more accomplished? 

Mark Coleman was a 2x NCAA Champ at Ohio State and was the UFC's 1st HW champ. Coleman is retired. 

Dan Henderson wrestled at Arizona State and twice represented the US in the Olympics. He was Pride's Middleweight and Light Heavyweight champion and held the same titles in Strikeforce. Hard to be more accomplished than Hendo. 

Ben Askren (though not in the UFC, he is under contract with Asia's ONEFC) was a 4 time NCAA finalist (2x champion), Hodge Trophy winner, and Olympian. Askren is undefeated and was Bellator's WW champion before leaving Bellator for more money. 

Curt Heinrichs's picture

I was a victim of the quadruple post. 

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Remember when UFC was relevant? No. I've never been interested. 

+4 HS
GoBucks713's picture
you got knocked the fuck out

Remember when boxing was relevant for nearly 100 years?

To be honest, the UFC got stale once the actual MMA part came into it for me. I liked the original format of having people from different styles fight against each other more than the format that has been followed since the early 2000s. And Tank Abbott. Chug a beer, kick someones ass, and go home bloody. I loved watching that dude.

-The Aristocrats!

+5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I remember when Royce Gracie looked like he was going to get mauled every fight and then somehow he'd choke a dude out.  Royce Gracie was the godfather of UFC.  Back when you had to go rent the video from the video store.

They would fight a whole tournament in a weekend.  There were no weight classes, so you would get sumo's fighting little karate guys. There were no true MMA fighters, each guy came from a discipline.  The only rules were no groin hits, no eye gouging and no hair pulling.  All of the contrasting styles and disciplines made it feel so much more wide open...and brutal.

Havent really been into it since I moved out of my parents basement in the late 90s.

+8 HS
GoBucks713's picture

That's what I'm saying. The different disciplines and the tournament format was fantastic. And Royce Gracie had the best technique to use against all of those guys that were bigger and stronger, which is probably why most fighters have a ground based background.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Come on.  The only reason Royce won was because no one knew jiu jitsu.  Would you like to play football against someone that's never played the sport?  Once bigger guys learned, he knew it was time to get out of Dodge.  I get what you say about the other disciplines, and to a degree the UFC has gotten stale (fighters learning takedown defense to keep it standing), but there is a LOT of skill in there and there ARE a lot of disciplines being used, whether you see it or not.  You have the world's best grapplers, karate fighter, Muay Thai fighters, Judo, etc.  Learn a bit more about the sport and you will appreciate how incredibly talented the fighters are.

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

To think that I don't know about the sport is a misconception Jax. I don't see the fighters as talented, on the contrary I see them as athletes that train for this sport, and take advantage of the sport's rules, so they don't have to be great at anything, but just good at most things. They aren't good strikers, and aren't great grapplers. They are jacks of all trades, and not masters at anything. That's what I loved about the original format. Those guys were masters of their discipline.

I boxed for a long time and I also practiced Judo and Tegumi for a long time too, and still find time to roll with some guys that train in jiu jitsu, so I understand what it takes to get into a ring and fight, and the training that goes along with it. UFC has become an amalgam of WWF and Nascar. Big bright lights and promotions and sponsors everywhere. It's not so much of a sport for me anymore, it's a spectacle. It's just not exciting for me anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

-The Aristocrats!

+3 HS

World Wildlife Foundation and NASCAR? That sounds like a terrible amalgam!

GoBucks713's picture

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I meant WWE. I would go back and edit, but "F" it, right?

-The Aristocrats!

your chops,I am busting

+3 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Actually, I believe groin hits were allowed, just frowned upon.  Watch some of the old fights, there are a couple shots to the wedding tackle in there, that result in victory, but it's clear from the announcers comments that it's the cowards way out.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Oh there was definitely hair pulling. Erik Paulson & Kimo come to mind. There was at least one other one but I can't remember the name (dude was actually drug around the ring by his pony tail).

hit_the_couch's picture

To be honest, the UFC got stale once the actual MMA part came into it for me. I liked the original format of having people from different styles fight against each other 

They had to change it up and also start getting some rules because that d-bag Arizona state senator with the short arms was trying to ban it.

sivaDavis's picture

I like watching highlights of Ronda Rousey. That's about as far as I'll get into UFC.

The beautiful sport of Boxing > UFC everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

There's just been no one worth following in the main stream since... Lewis maybe (heavyweight)?  And even that is a stretch.  The Mayweather/Pacquiao BS hasn't helped it either.  Oh, they'll fight, but when they're both washed up.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS

I wonder how old you are, Siva. I'm 26, for reference. In my lifetime, boxing has been two things. Mike Tyson biting Holyfield's ear and the Pacchio(sp?)/Mayweather fight that never happened so Mayweather makes a ton of money to beat up on someone else then bets $40k on the coin toss of the Super Bowl.

I don't ever remember boxing being relevant.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Man I'm only 23 and could talk anyone's ear off about boxing. It's just not everyone's cup of tea and that's perfectly fine. I don't hate the UFC, I've seen highlights and know some of the fighters, I just don't pay to watch it and would rather watch boxing. It has died down in recent years but there are a lot of great fighters out there still and there will be great matches coming up this year and for years after. I guess I'm a little biased because I was thrown into the ring, literally, at a young age to box and all my family, especially my dad, loved watching every fight possible. And yeah Tyson and Pac/Mayweather were two big highlights of boxing but there were so much in between and even after.

Klitschko brothers, Adrien Broner, Roy Jones Jr, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Lennox Lewis, Mickey Ward, Arutro Gatti, Ahmir Khan, Antonio Tarver, Andre Berto. The list goes on, it obviously isn't like the past where you had big named boxers like Ali and Frazier but Boxing was a lot more popular back then and I feel that if the UFC was never around, it would be that same way now. There are great fighters but UFC became a lot more popular than Boxing. Hell even guys like Bernard Hopkins and Oscar De La Hoya had fights in the late 2000's that were pretty damn good. De La Hoya almost beat Mayweather and some feel like he did, me being one of them. I could talk for days and sorry if some of the above is spelled wrong or kinda goes all the way around, I'm posting from my phone on my break so hopefully it's a decent read. But anyway a kinda new guy that I'll post his highlights below, might become a big name pretty soon, big powerful heavyweight, I'm talking like Tyson power. He's a baaad boy. In the video below, watch the part around 1:57 where after he lands a successful combo against the guy he's fighting, the opponent thinks it's a smart move to talk shit to him and tell him to "come on!" and then he knocks him down with a nasty straight. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

jaxbuckeye's picture

Boxing is absolutely DEAD!  Talk about a joke.  Just saw a commercial for pay per view for two guys, neither hold a belt.  Never heard of them and they want $50.  Good luck with that.  Once the older, loyal boxing fans are gone, it will be completely irrelevant.

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Remember when UFC was relevant?

Nope.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
elitesmithie's picture

Say what you want about UFC, however atleast in this sport the top fighters fight each other...alot. In boxing you have Mayweather duck Paquio for years as an example. The top fighters don't fight each other and you have about 3 fighters that people give a damn about.

Give me UFC any day of the week.

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I think that's something that Dana White instilled in the UFC though. It's a league, and in order to get the payday these guys want, they have to put up or shut up on a top billed card. In boxing, those guys could make a fantastic living just being a top 5 fighter and go their entire career not taking a shot at the top if they don't want to.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

I respect the athletes of MMA but I dont have a high opinion of The UFC. Having thousands of viewers watch while people beat each other lifeless sounds like Roman times. . . I like to think society has changed since 470 A.D.

I season my simple food with hunger

-1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

That is about the most ignorant statement I've ever read.  MMA (I've trained for a number of years) is literally a physical chess match.  These ARE the best athletes in the world.  Don't believe me?  Try grappling for two minutes.  They are not "beating each other lifeless". Fights are stopped as soon as someone can't defend themselves.  It is MUCH safer than allowing two boxers to punch each other for 12 rounds.  Go talk to an MMA fighter and then talk to a boxer.  Night and day.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't mean ignorant to be a jerk.  I literally mean uniformed.  Not that you are uneducated, but that you just aren't exposed to the reality of the sport.  I apologize if this comes across as a dick.  That is not my intent.

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I roll a couple times a week, and I have to be honest, I get worn out, but not nearly as worn out as I do playing soccer.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

You know, I thought about that line right after I posted this HAHA. As they say, great minds......

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

I'm sure most fighting experience is a "chess match" just like it was in Roman times. In the UFC some of those people do get knocked out yet they are still hit (for good measure I guess). I'm not sure why you talked about boxing. Also I'm not sure why you assumed my level of experience, you know nothing about me.  I stand by my statement. I didn't take your comment personal, it's the internet, however, I appreciate the sentiment. 

-1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Lol comparing to Romans who literally had slaves gutting each other is hilariously ridiculous. These participants are very willing. The level of illogical notions in that comparison is amusing. Maybe I could see it in UFC 1, but not in todays UFC. It is a sport, there are doctors in the cage, refs to separate the action, rounds, gloves, rules, etc.

You talk about him assuming, when you're are clearly doing that with an entire sport.

In football sometimes people get concussed from a helmet to helmet hit, then come back in the game to get hit 6, 7, 8, more times. Yet since you're here, clearly you defy the standards you lay out in your comments. So you're not only illogical but hypocritical. Multiple NFL players have ended up debilitated for life after playing, yet you clearly still cheer earnestly for your favorite college football team. What you have to realize, is that contact sports have unavoidable risks from playing. However, those who compete are willing to accept that for the tradeoff of the joy of playing and the benefits of what can come from it(millions of dollars, fame, etc.).

-1 HS
BroJim's picture

I think the intention of football is different, in college football you don't get rewarded for things like knockout of the night (sometimes upward of a $50,000 bonus) the intention is different. 

"In football sometimes people get concussed from a helmet to helmet hit, then come back in the game to get hit 6, 7, 8, more times" That's their choice, and many time players and medical professionals are not aware someone is concussed. 

Also, Romans didn't always use slaves; there are many cases of regulated sports, fights, and events that occurred that resulted in death. 

BroJim's picture

Double post, sorry 11w community. 

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

These ARE the best athletes in the world.  Don't believe me?  Try grappling for two minutes.

Nope I don't believe you & I've spent hundreds of hours on the mat.

I've completed the Iron Man twice and it's everything I can do to keep up with my children's mom on skis (she's a world class Nordic Skier). Want another way to get gassed? Try a 6 min water polo period.

Going full out 1 on 1 is very physically demanding but there's plenty of other sports that just as much so.

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

When it comes to physical attributes, most of those slow-twitch athletes would not be explosive enough for striking and most of the fast-twitch athletes (football, basketball, etc.) would not have enough cardio or muscular endurance for grappling. 

JasonR's picture

I'm not a big fan of the wrestling in MMA, but I do like to see talented Jiu Jitsu fighters grapple. It may not be appreciated by everyone, but transitioning and putting yourself in position to attempt a submission is an artform in itself.

But I agree, UFC seems to be going downhill. I always check the results but stopped buying the PPVs. I like that the best fighters fight each other, but the judging has been a big part of why I am losing interest. Great example is Frankie Edgar... he has several losses on his record that he shouldn't. Hendricks also beat GSP, I don't care what anybody says. Fighters are winning fights but getting losses on bad decisions. Who wants to watch that?

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

I have attended multiple WEC events and UFC events, I have not purchased a UFC event in the past year. I grew up watching boxing. I love MMA because no matter the instance the better fighter may not win.  Could be a slip up, a lucky punch, etc. Lots of action. 

Another interesting thing with MMA is that in the past few years you are having collegiate wrestlers coming into MMA without backgrounds of wrestling and learn multiple facets of fighting. The fight cards in general though for MMA are a lot better than boxing. Boxing you only watch the main event. MMA you can watch the entire under card and sometimes those fight can be more entertaining. 

BucksFan2000's picture

I'd say both boxing and MMA have similar issues.  Each can have periods where it gets boring, and it's hard to constantly invest PPV dollars into something like that.  There are too many other sporting options that are free.

Like soccer, yes they are amazing athletes, but in the grand scheme of things, so what?  People want to be entertained.  Just because someone is a great athlete doesn't mean butts in the seats.  Let's see how many people show up for the OSU wrestling team next year.

Gametime's picture

I too enjoy the original format of the UFC better. I would love to see that brought back, but with weight classes, because it would bring discipline pride back into the arena where you can have a Judoka vs. Jujutsuka (that's Judo vs Jiu Jitsu) or Taekwondo vs. Muay Thai, Capoeira vs. Wing Chun etc, etc. Though I greatly respect what modern MMA has become. 

However, Boxing isn't, hasn't been, & won't ever be dead. It's too much like Soccer, where it has a universal appeal that still finds it's roots in poorer cities and countries, still flourishes with the golden gloves & amateur events worldwide, has Olympic appeal, and last time I checked the richest athlete in the WORLD is a boxer who has ZERO endorsements. Just because YOU don't know about competitors doesn't mean they're irrelevant; (for the record, Saul Alvarez & Erislandy Lara are two of the better known Light Middleweights in the world, and Lara (one of the most ducked fighters in his division) is the WBA champion. Tough fight for Alvarez IMO.)

MMA supporters can be too extreme at times. They are great athletes yes, but don't call them the best, by far. I'm sure they can't do somethings football players can, or crossfit competitors, or decathlon competitors, etc. Their training should be respected, as should other elite athletes, but not everyone is among the best.

And truth be told, all of our sports are a reflection of Rome/Greece - ordinary folks watching exceptional athletes compete at the highest level in modern amphitheatres.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

well said, but the early days of the UFC proved that fighters have to be truly mixed in their backgrounds. A pure wrestler will outgrapple a pure boxer. 

There is a degree of fanaticism among MMA fans, and I think it is thank in large part to the advertising by the UFC. "____________ is the toughest threat that this champion will face yet." That line of thinking will only last so long. IMO, Rousey is out of viable contenders in the UFC until they sign Cyborg or Holly Holm. 

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

I agree that to compete, you have to modify your discipline to be effective, but that's part of the intrigue of contrasting disciplines (well at least for me) If at a random chance you master Aikido, but come up against a master in Krav Maga, who can adjust? Who wins the mental chess game?

MMA fighters are all molded mostly the same now, boxing, kickboxing, or Muay Thai along with wrestling or BJJ which can get kinda meh accept when you see guys who are truly dynamic strikers or submission artists, since that skill-set has become the default.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Eh, I don't see it. The UFC was not anymore relevant in the beginning than it is now, in fact if you look at acceptability from the public it has gone up quite a bit. Good riddance to the days when unskilled brawlers were at the top of the sport, today they're skilled, and the matches are strategic. I understand that is too much for the casual fans, but I would watch Machida vs. Mousasi 3 times before I'd watch Brian Stann vs. Wanderlei. The style matchups haven't gone away, they have simply become more complex.

I am always amused when people say the UFC is dying because it is losing casual fans in the US, when clearly they do not see what the UFC is working towards. It isn't working for US popularity, it is working toward global expansion.

OSUStu's picture

Does anyone remember when UCF was relevant?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

If it wasn't for UFC we wouldn't have Affliction or Tap Out gear!

+2 HS
Onionballz's picture

I lost interest the first time I saw a kickboxer or whatever beat a ninjitsu guy.  I figured it had to be fake.  I was like WTF?  Dude's a motherf***in ninja!

(maybe slightly NSFW)

"You must have been eating dumbfuck sandwiches when you came up with that logic" - Ramzy