Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

A Family of Chipmunks has made a home in my chimney

sox33osu's picture
July 8, 2014 at 8:58pm
92 Comments

Unfortunately they are not of the singing variety. There is no way for the to get in, as the trap that leads into my fireplace from above is basically unable to be opened, but they are very audible and I want to still find a way to get rid of them other than screaming obscenities into my mantle. Anyone ever dealt with something like this?

WhySoSerious's picture

Nope. Good luck.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+15 HS
sox33osu's picture
+13 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Sorry bro, I couldn't help myself. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'd of said the same thing. I, too, am a butthole.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I think most of us are..............

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Football is complicated...

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Up-vote earned, sir.

Buckeye fan from PA

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture
Butthole!

How Firm Thy Friendship

+5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Removed dead or alive?

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Dead or alive will be fine. I'm trying to avoid damaging the hearth. Trying to potentially sell this summer.

VintonCountyBuck's picture

I would just build a fire

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+18 HS
sox33osu's picture

Therein lies the problem. If I open up the trap, they will all fall through and scatter throughout my house. I live by myself and am significantly less mobile than I was when I was younger/more sober.

+1 HS

I see.  Do you own a dog or cat? 

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I do not, unfortunately.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Attach an open sack to the bottom of the chimney, open the trap, seal the bag, dispose?

sox33osu's picture

I thought of this as well. Once again, living alone makes this difficult. I'd need to bring someone over to help with this for sure.

brunstar's picture

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

You need this guy. Gophers...squirrels...they're all the same

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+15 HS
Rocket Man's picture

And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

"Statistics always remind me of the  fellow who drowned in a river where the average depth was only three feet." -- W. W. Hayes

+6 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Seattle Linga's picture

Have a few brethren over - tap a keg - watch Ohio State highlight game from last year and do as much damage to the keg as possible and get to work on those chipmunks.

To be serious - call a rodent removal company.  

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Yep, time to go with the professionals.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I have a feeling you guys are both right. I tried thinking of a way I could get fire into the chimney from above but that has disaster written all over it. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Correct safest bet

cajunbuckeye's picture

Call this guy. He is the "Master".

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+32 HS

Lol

Squirrel Master's picture

Chipmunks are not squirrels my friend! I have nothing to do with those furry death rats!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
KingsRite's picture

Removal Through the House

Close all doors to any rooms in the house that the squirrel is not in. Close all of the curtains on the windows or the doors in the room where the fireplace or exhaust fan is located. If necessary, use newspaper to cover incoming light sources. Leave the curtain open on the window or the door where you want the squirrel to exit. Open that window or door as wide as possible. Remove the screen, if necessary. Open the door to the fireplace or the cover from the exhaust fan so the squirrel can exit. They will escape towards the light. 

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

That is a really good idea to get them out, but the problem is they will get back in again. I want a way I can get them out and then have them be dead without a mess. 

dubjayfootball90's picture

I know a guy who can make it look like an accident..... (no sarcasm font on my phone)

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+4 HS
KingsRite's picture

I got the above method from an online site. My opinion is you must have a hole in your chimney somewhere. I bet the adult ground squirrels are coming and going through an access hole. You could poison them or trap the adults outside and then let the young die. There are some people out there who specialize in this sort of thing and may be willing to remove them alive for the pleasure of saving critters.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

FYI. Rat poison works well but it takes a few days for them to eat enough of it.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Ok this might be a really good idea. I have access to get onto my roof, and I imagine they got in from the top (85 year old chimney likely has an access spot near the top at this point somewhere). However, dropping some pellets in from the top would definitely do the trick. Thanks man!

+2 HS
OnlyOne's picture

No poison.  The critters die in there and the house smells so bad you want to die.  Poisoned rat died in wall smell so bad had to move family to hotel for two weeks.  Had to cut 5 holes in walls until I found the carcass.  NO POISON!

Groveport Heisman's picture

Go to your local dollar store or kroger. Pick up a box of Decon mice bait. Its a anticoagulant and tastes sweet but will have your little friends sleeping soundly in 48 hours. Open 2 of the wedge shaped boxes and drop them in from the top. They are a blueish green small pellet. Problem  solved for 5 dollars.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Nice! Thanks man, I appreciate it!

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I'd really like to know how you know what Decon tastes like.

Italics are for emphasis.

+7 HS
nfischer's picture

These were my thoughts exactly! 

Groveport Heisman's picture

I was curious one day on what actually made them eat it like mad men. I  googled and seen a word I didnt recognize. Found out it is actually made out of a very popular prescription medication that I have had to take before(wife is a nurse). The medicine had a sweet taste and I was just assuming the pellets were also sweet since mice seem to do anything possible to get to it. Sorry if it wasnt as exciting as it seemed.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Doc's picture

Decon is the same thing as Coumadin.  Just cheaper :/

"Say my name."

Earle's picture

Yeah, but Decon lacks the smooth finish of Coumadin. 

+4 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Screw the Decon then.

exnwohiobuckfan's picture

Wait a minute, I take Coumadin.

toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+11 HS
sox33osu's picture

If not for the cholesterol, I would invite Eddie over. He usually eats these GD things.

+6 HS
buckeyedude's picture

How about a simple mousetrap? I caught several mice once that way. Worked like a charm. Quick and easy. And the poor little critters don't have to suffer.(that's my bleeding heart)

sox33osu's picture

Several reasons why I cannot use mousetraps.

KingsRite's picture

They will definitely eat the mouse/rat poison and take some back to the nest as well. You will have a smell to deal with after they die.

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Or live trap and release a little ways away...  Note it's illegal to move wild animals, I won't tell but just a heads up.

Regardless you'll have to find where they're getting in and fence it off before they really start making things interesting.  

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Poison nuts's picture

All I can think of is: ALVIN!!!!!    

Sorry I'm dumb.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
BuckeyeCrew's picture

Sheesh.. what a bunch of Neanderthals in here.  Instead of resorting to extremely painful measures, just call a company that will remove them without killing them.  Or alternatively, have some who IS physically able, implement the plan of having one exit (i.e. the window), and making sure they all leave.

Poison?  BURNING alive? WTF is wrong with you hilljacks?  Oh wait.. I answered my own question.

-11 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

City folk are amusing.

+7 HS
sox33osu's picture

Calm down and sip your latte, Sally. My chimney is infested with disease-carrying rodents, not golden retriever puppies.

+11 HS
OSUStu's picture

Disagree with him, but save the personal attacks.  Of course, he could be advised to do the same.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Floyd Stahl's picture

Let us know how it ends up.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Will do. I'm trying to catch them at a time when they are gone, but I'll be damned if these things just don't leave.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Killing the Rescue Rangers is unacceptable.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Sorry. Didnt read other responses so dont know if it's already been answered...but put a bowl of mothballs into the shaft and leave them there for a few days. The chipmunks will skedaddle, and the mothball smell will fade quickly. Rinse and repeat as needed.

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Call VarmentGuard.

villagebuckeye's picture

Call Turtleman...... YeeeYeeeYeee

+4 HS
mshaf's picture

I see this going horribly wrong

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

The way country folks handle unwelcomed visitors. Ignore, poison or shoot. We don't mess around.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If you have a way of closing the fireplace, (doors) I would just start a fire then close the doors and open the damper. I've been there plenty of times, it's usually birds for me though. 

Doc's picture

Sorry to the Bleeding Hearts above, but you have to kill them or they will come back.  Decon works the best, they eat it up and then go outside to die.  No mess, no smell.  If they do die inside you will find a dried up carcass of just fur and bones, still no smell.

Signed,

Neanderthal Doc

"Say my name."

+7 HS
sox33osu's picture

Yep, this is what folks don't understand. Once these animals find a spot to take shelter, they come back. I'm sure as hell not putting them in my car and taking them elsewhere so they can do the same thing at someone else's house.

+1 HS
Onionballz's picture

Here's a slightly cruel but very clean way to do it:

You're gonna go buy a bunch of dry ice.  I'd guess about 20 lbs.  You'll also need a piece of plywood and a broomstick (sans broom) and a flashlight.  Use the plywood to block off under the damper, wedge it in there nice and tight. Get to the top of the chimney and drop the dry ice in.  Now, you'll use the broomstick to knock any of the little buggers back down to the bottom if they start coming up.  They'll suffocate in the CO2 as the dry ice sublimates and the CO2 should stay near the bottom of the chimney.  

Fashion a chimney cap from hardware cloth to keep any from coming back and attach with metal strapping after finishing.  

"You must have been eating dumbfuck sandwiches when you came up with that logic" - Ramzy

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I'm not completely clear on where they are and where your fireplace is sealed off.  Anyway, try moth balls.  Would you be able to put them in your fireplace?  They will bring a temporary stink but if you put them in your fireplace and that smell rises and kicks them out, you can remove the jar/cup of moth balls. 

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Do you have duct tape, a stick of chewing gum, and some string?

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+1 HS
kalabuckzoo's picture

if you can get your car near the base of the fireplace, and a long garden hose you could tape off the garden hose to your exhaust and run the hose down the chimney.  should put them to sleep in no time.  sounds cruel but its better than poison that takes time to burn 'em up from the inside.

also, no matter what route you take to kill them, just cause they're dead will not solve your problem.  the entry has to be blocked or new ones will find it as well.

edit...don't sit in the car if you do this and keep the doors open during and after.

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Buy a pet guinea pig and teach him to to wield a little samurai sword. Lower him down the chimney with a little climbing harness and let him do some work.

+6 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

chipmunks are hell creatures! Not like squirrels. My cute fuzzy boots is not fond of them.

once you get rid of them, get a handyman or someone to find where they are getting through. the problem isn't getting rid of them, its making sure other rodents find their way in. Rodents will always find a way to get into spaces like that for warmth.

Might also want to hire a seasonal pest guy. My guy comes out every 3 or so months for about $90 each visit. Sprays the area for insects and checks for holes through the outside of the house. Once you think you have your home sealed off, they will make a new hole and get right back in there.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

Definitely my favorite random thread this off season. I say attach a string to the damper so you can open it from a distance. Load your semi auto shotgun with some small shot bird shot. Pull damper open...fire away, into the fireplace. If you don't have a semi auto shotgun, this is the reason why you need one.

Shitter's full

+3 HS
OnceaBuckeye's picture

Please don't start a fire to burn them out!  Not that I have any fondness to the fuzzy rats, but because chances are there is a hole in the chimney somewhere that is allowing entry (unless they are entering through the top.)  If you burn them out there is a chance you will burn the house down if an ember escapes through the entry hole.  Although cruel and at the same time mildly comical, there is also a chance that the chipmunks could catch fire, and go running through the house leaving a trail of flames.  Seriously though, a mouse poison like decon can work well as after they eat it, it causes internal bleeding and they start searching for a water source outside at which point they die.  

And when we win the game we'll buy a keg of brew

lamplighter's picture

No, not Chip and Dale ---

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Write a letter to Santa and ask him to catch them in a net or something when he shows up with presents. Reindeer can only fly when they eat chipmunks ....so it'd pretty much be perfect, except that you couldn't sell your house this summer.

sharks's picture

I think you need to be thorough.  The last thing you want is to sell the thing and have the new owners complaining and pestering you.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
Scott's picture

I'm surprised it took this many posts to reach a dynamite recommendation.

Class of 2008

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

I managed to catch a point this afternoon when they weren't there and I opened up the trap. There was a relatively decent amount of droppings but I was able to just shimmy it down the trap under the fireplace. I should also note there is a way for them to come up from under the fireplace (one came up last April while I was watching the Kentucky-Florida basketball game, which I lost money on and it made the situation worse). It popped up and we had an epic staredown before he ran back down. I hate old houses and will never buy another one again. This weekend I'm going to buy the Decon, and also mothballs. I want to make sure as shit I get rid of these guys. They are really loud and exceptionally annoying.

sox33osu's picture

Can someone show me how to upload pictures? I have no idea how to other than putting them on an image hosting site and I don't want to do that. I'd like to load a picture of my fireplace and living room to see if that makes a difference.

Colby3333's picture

Option 1: A 12-gauge shot gun, some buck shot and an open trap should do the trick.  I would suggest some eye protection too.  This will do the trick.    Option 2:  go on the roof.  Light some newspaper and drop it down the chimney.  You may smell some fried chipmunk, but their vocal chords will be no more.  Open the trap and dinner is served my friend.  Carry on!

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Maybe its time to move and let the next person deal with them? :p

Buckeye fan from PA

sox33osu's picture

So the sounds kind of died down yesterday, and so far today I haven't heard a thing. I'm starting to think that perhaps it was not a chipmunk family, but raccoons. The reason I'm thinking that is because there is a large dead raccoon that just showed up yesterday in the road in front of my house. Perhaps it was her young that had been making all the noise. Fingers crossed.

sox33osu's picture

Well, this saga came to a close yesterday officially. It was, indeed, raccoons. Over the weekend, I probably had to clean up somewhere close to 1300-1500 flies in my living room, dining room, and basement. Turns out the big fat dead raccoon in front of my house from a month ago was the mother of two baby raccoons that ended up dying in my fireplace. Somehow could not smell them, but the flies sure did. They were sitting on top of the damper and are now gone.

Now, does anyone know how to further prevent these little shits from getting back into the chimney again?

BamBamBuck's picture

You can purchase a chimney (flue) cap for most size flues. Slips over the flue and has screws that tighten against the sides of the flue to fix in place. I had this same (sort of) issue and just waited until the little critters left to feed then climbed up on the roof and slipped the cap in place, problem gone. Good Luck!

BamBamBuck

sox33osu's picture

If you're talking about the cap for the tap, the metal ones that look like the top of a silo, I actually already have one. That's the bitch of it. But thank you for the input amigo!

BamBamBuck's picture

Then you have a larger problem and I suggest you never burn a fire in that fireplace ever again. More drink, less fire!

BamBamBuck

+1 HS
Earle's picture

My understanding is that they are attracted to the odor of  bad pizza, so you just might have to live with the periodic infestations.

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Thread win.

How Firm Thy Friendship

Gobucks2204's picture

Call Varment Guard. They trapped groundhogs that were burrowing under my dad's hot tub and barn.  They even caught a few raccoons as a bonus.