Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Watching osu football games on tv

Ohio State Ombre's picture
July 8, 2014 at 10:32am
27 Comments

Hey guys, im going to be moving out to california shortly and wanted some peoples takes on how to get osu football on tv. I am cutting the cord and going without cable (just a good internet setup), and was wondering how I would be able to catch the games. Do you think most osu games will be shown on the watchespn app, btn2go, or other services that I can get via streaming?

kareemabduljacobb's picture

First row sports is always good for streaming sporting events.

+2 HS
Woodysghost's picture

The only problem with this is the quality is hit or miss. Sometimes its really clear and other times you cant tell what sport you're even watching. 

Woodysghost's picture

Most of them should be on the apps espn to go, btn2go and the CBS app. The only problem you might run into is that a lot of those apps make you sign in using a cable username and password. So basically they want you to pay for cable in order to use the streaming services. However, in college I didn't have cable but couldn't miss my buckeye games so i used my parents username and password and it worked great. So really all you need to do is find a nice friend or family member that does have cable and see if you can piggy back off their info (much like many people using the same netflix account).

+1 HS

is it specific to cable, or as long as you have internet via common provider like comcast or at&t and just use that login?

InTressITrust's picture

This is what I do.  You need to have the service.  For example Directv doesn't have ESPN3 so I get that from my brothers TWC account.  They do not have BTN so I get that from my parents Drectv account.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Woodysghost's picture

Doesn't even have to be a common provider. When you sign into say Watch ESPN app it asks you your cable provider and then your username and password through that provider. But I would recommend checking the apps first to make sure they have the cable provider you want to use. Not all the apps have all cable providers. 

OSUlewis's picture

Do you know if multiple people can stream off those sites (espn to go, btn2go, and the CBS app) or only one person at a time? Last season I always streamed off first row sports or went out but like what was previously stated, the quality was hit or miss.

makearuckus's picture
Buckeye vision (9.95 a month )

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Can you say more? Can you setup a monthly payment system as opposed to a direct deduction? is it legitimate? Thanks, I'm in Philadelphia and have a hard time getting Buckeye football. 

Also, this bit for the site is concerning:

Select home games for Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Ice Hockey, Baseball, Softball, Men's and Women's Soccer, Field Hockey, Men's and Women's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Gymnastics, Men's and Women's Lacrosse and Wrestling.

Is football included? 

I season my simple food with hunger

kgratz's picture

see my comments below, wiziwig.tv

How Firm Thy Friendship

phxbuck's picture

I am in Chicago and have cut the chord as well. Woody is spot on that you need a friend/family member to give you their cable credentials. All of those services (WatchEspn, BTN2Go, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) require a cable provider login/password. The WatchEspn app streams easily on Chromecast and Roku. Big Ten app does not have streaming capabilities on Chromecast/Roku so you can either login on the chrome browser and stream the browser through your chromecast (bad quality) or I went ahead and bought a Lightning to HDMI adapter to connect my mac air directly to my tv (good quality) but I guess with an apple TV device you can sync over airplay. I did this throughout the NHL playoffs because NBC sports does not have a streaming app. 

+2 HS
kgratz's picture

For those of you looking for a free website to watch sports that I use is wiziwig.tv  .  I use it to stream Blue Jackets game when I'm at school in Philly.  It also works really well for watching NFL football if you don't want the regional game.  

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
sharks's picture

I was going to do that for Gaelic Football, but was reluctant to download materials from that site.  Is it completely safe, and have you had any bad experiences? 

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

kgratz's picture

I have not had any problems/bad experiences with it.  No viruses or downloads or anything like that.  

When you find the game you want to watch they offer anywhere from 3-8 links and some of the links don't work but only once have I had an issue where I couldn't get it to work at all.  College football and NFL streams like you're watching normal TV, no problems at all.  It also has basically any sporting event that could be on TV. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
sharks's picture

The links were as far as I got the other week b/c any of the links required a download, probably the codec/video player.  I'll check it out again this weekend- thx for the reply.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
Young_Turk's picture

Use caution with the free services.  Last year I got a virus on my work computer because I stoopidly clicked a link to watch a Buckeye game.  Somebody had posted a comment that they were watching the game over the internet, I click the link and next thing you know I had malware loaded on my work computer.  

Watch out!!!

kgratz's picture

It's hard to see right now since the only thing streaming is Tennis but try it tonight with the MLB games. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

Calgarybuck's picture

So you can vouch for stream service they make up download?

mshaf's picture

Find an Ohio State Alumni Association where ever you are moving to. I`m sure they could direct you to some local hangout to catch OSU football.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

I have Dish with their $20 plan (basic, basic) b/c i don't watch tv all that much.

I do pay for Netflix and piggyback btn2go from my dad's DirectTV package (his HBOgo too).  I can't stream btn through my Playstation 3 since there's no app, but I have an MHL connector ($5 on eBay) that allows me to plug my droid into my hdtv, so I get the game on the big screen, standard def though.  Most times I just watch on my tablet.

DirectTV doesn't allow me to stream ESPN,  so I'm out of luck for games not on ABC or BTN.  I'll try that FirstRow Sports thing, I've heard of it before but forgot about it.

Another tactic I've used in the past is to bump my basic Dish plan to the sports package ($50 or so) during college football season, which is like 3 months.

OSUStu's picture

If you want something really foolproof and are willing to pay for it, buy a Slingbox.  It will stream HD video to your PC, tablet, or phone.  You just set up the Slingbox at a family member's or friend's house that gets all the games on cable.

It makes it so you can control the set top box remotely.  However, the people at the location will have to watch whatever you are watching on the Slingbox o(r you could get a separate set top box and dedicate it just to the Slingbox.)

Plus, it is completely legal.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

DaveStephens's picture

What part of Cali?  I'll be returning to San Diego for a month before heading out again.  There's a ton of bars that you can sit down early and drink bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Marys for $10-15.  I know there's similar bars in LA and I would guess San Fran as well.  At 10:00am, they're just happy for the business and the company and will but on whatever games you want.  The OSU backer bar in Pacific Beach closed down after the season though.  Rare was the Saturday last fall that I wasn't blacked out in a taxi by the time all the B1G games were over.

The Dude abides.

+2 HS

i will be in the oakland/san fran area. ill try to find a buckeye bar, im sure there are plenty

2002osubuck's picture

I have a lot of problems streaming games on my iPad. Most of the sites use flash player and it's not supported. Does anyone know a good way to get around this issue?

kgratz's picture

use the watchespn btn2go apps. other than that the iPad isn't going to be able to stream games. use your computer for that. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

mshaf's picture

Ohio State Ombre.  There is a group called the Bay Area Buckeyes and they will gladly take you in. You have to contact them by email though.

whiskeyjuice's picture

There are a couple of people that post replays of the game on youtube but a day or two later. I watch a lot of the games on youtube.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes