Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

USA-Belgium: Abstain from Anheuser-Busch InBev "beer" along with your Belgian waffles today.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture
July 1, 2014 at 10:25am
55 Comments

Waffle House doesn't want you to eat Belgian waffles today.  I say we also don't drink beer run by the Belgians today either.  Abstain from drinking Bud Light and Budweiser, etc.  (Really its probably best to not drink that stuff anyways)

Drink American.  Drink local.  Drink better beer.

Go Team USA!

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I was all over this last week.

How Firm Thy Friendship

-1 HS

For your sake, you should be happy the English and South Africans are no longer in the World Cup as Coors and Miller would be a no go as well.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Ah ha, you are correct sir. I should have done better DD. 

Looks like I'm running to the carry-out after work today to pick up some Yuengling!

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
BROSEPH's picture

It must be torture to go 5 days without Busch Light. 

Signed,

Beer elitists everywhere.

+9 HS
Orangeslash's picture

No waffles, and now no BL? What do you think, I'm just made of money?

+1 HS
Remy's picture

Not a fan of Boston sports, but I'll drink their American beer:

American Beer

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+12 HS
MackHall400Series's picture

Sam Adams representatives will be at The Three-Legged Mare for the game.  I think it's $3 draughts and you get a raffle ticket for each Sam Adams bought to win a jersey.

+2 HS

Its not the best beer, but it might be the best beer you can find anywhere in the United States.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I only wish I could get my hands on some of this n Seattle - a great smooth local favorite of mine

+11 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

Great Lakes is world class.

+3 HS
Anononym's picture

Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, Nosferatu, and Christmas Ale are all world class.

+3 HS
bukyze's picture

Burning River for the love of God !

+3 HS
hodge's picture

I'm particularly fond of Rye of the Tiger, myself.

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

I have a six of ed Fitzgerald for the game and a six of rye of the tiger for the round of 8.

+2 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

USA-USA-USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
dcbucks's picture

Who needs Belgium when we have a New Belgium

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That's funny - LOL

jeremytwoface's picture

Perfect.

I love New Belgium's beers.

BROSEPH's picture
Here you go, Akron's own:
+3 HS

How about Thirsty Dog Brewing Company?

+3 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Also very good.  

That's what I have heard. I no longer live in Akron so I have never been to the place.

aboynamedtracy's picture

You have correctly identified the best brewery in Ohio.

Good deal. A couple of my friends back home say that's the only bar they'll drink in.

sharks's picture

Yuengling is Pittsburgh beer.  Go with Great Lakes.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

For the purpose of this game, I don't really care which state it's from because we are the UNITED States of America.

This is a day for the USA, not just Ohio.

I do agree that Pittsburgh is gross though.

Iron City Beer is one of the worst beers ever created.

+1 HS
UFest57's picture

Lone Star Beer, labeled as the "National beer of Texas" is by far the worst beer I have consumed. 

Earle's picture

Pittsburgh, Penn State, would anyone really be that upset if Pennsylvania seceded?

Italics are for emphasis.

-1 HS

Probably only steeler & Nittany Lion fans I'm guessing.

-1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I think even they would be ok with it.....

-1 HS
Earle's picture

They'd probably elect Joepa's pants as emperor:

Italics are for emphasis.

BassDropper's picture

Cant go wrong with Great Lakes. Just tried the Commodore Perry IPA last night.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Buy local. Go out and find beer from Actual Brewing, brewed right here in Columbus OH. Fred's stuff is amazing. You can buy directly from them at their brewery on James near the airport. They have fantastic coffee that they roast there too if you're into that stuff.

Or check out Rockmill Brewery, made just outside of Lancaster, and you can pick up their stuff at Giant Eagle.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Stuff I've had from Columbus Brewing Co. was really good.  

Have you ever gone to the Gordon Biersch Brewery in Columbus?

GoBucks713's picture

I agree, CBC is really good. They kill it with their IPA and Bodhi. Actual has a lemongrass saison that's just amazing. If you roll in there, you have to get a glass of their Sorry Charlie before you walk out.

-The Aristocrats!

toad1204's picture

MadTree (Psycophathy), Sam Adams (including a majority of Angry Orchard), Mt. Carmel, Moerlien (OTR), Blank Slate, 50 West are all made in Cincy and worth a sixer.  I know for sure MadTree is starting to make a push into the C-Bus market. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

I would add Rhinegeist and Rivertown to that group as well.  The brewery/ tap room at Rhinegeist is awesome, formerly the old bottling plant in OTR for Christian Moerlein back in the day.

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

It's hard to name them all anymore.  It's awesome because you can play wiffleball/ cornhole in there.

bukyze's picture

Living in Cincinnati, I think it's absolutely incredible that it seems like a couple more local breweries are added every year.  The choice of local beers is just insane.  And to think just 5 years ago, Mt Carmel was really the only local craft beer around.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I had MadTree the last time I was in the 'Nasty and I was impressed. I hope they really make a hard push up here because they could do well for themselves in a town that's really into local brews.

-The Aristocrats!

toad1204's picture

The brewery is actually a minute off 71 about 15 mins north of the river.  Nice little tap room. 

bukyze's picture

No food inside, but you can get stuff from the vendors selling their stuff from their carts outside.  Psycopathy, in my opinion, is their best beer.  You really can't go wrong.

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

I was talking to the bartender a couple weeks ago and they are doing some barrel aging things.  Their Whiskey barrel aged stout is awesome, but he said they were doing some things with gin barrels and wine barrels.  Definitely worth a visit for the limited releases.

buckeyebfd's picture

Love MadTree. I think their taproom is the best in the Cincy area. Love me some Gnarly Brown

KingKosar's picture

A personal favorite of mine:

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Anheuser-Busch holds a substantial stake in Widmer Brothers, which makes them part-Belgian at the very least.

Seattle Linga's picture

I love the Hefe - so refreshing

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Abstain from drinking Bud Light and Budweiser, etc.  (Really its probably best to not drink that stuff anyways)

It's OK because Budweiser is named after a Czech town in Bohemia. Bohemia is where lager was invented and Czech Republic is an awesome place.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Groveport Heisman's picture

Westmalle Trappist Tripel or bust.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Crimson's picture

Abstain from [...] Belgian waffles today.

No thank you.  What better way is there to piss them off than to walk up to one and say, "I ate a Belgian today.  Grrrrrr!"

RunningFree's picture

Beer with a "kick" to it.  (See what I did there?)

Hovenaut's picture

Cheers from central MD - Flying Dog Dead Rise Summer Ale: