Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

What Do You Miss?

Chief B1G Dump's picture
June 8, 2014 at 10:46am
62 Comments

I have been watching some old classic games this morning and I started thinking about the things in college athletics I miss from the past.

In true off season spirit, what do you miss from yesteryear, when it comes to college sports?

Best posts shall be showered with up votes. 

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Natural grass in the Shoe and Keith Jackson. 

+13 HS
HighBallAce's picture

YEs!!! Keith Jackson and Dick Vermeil! Best two announcers ever!

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

At this point, i'm starting to miss Ohio State winning the BigTen.

And I love Urb, but I miss Tressel

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+13 HS
SilverState's picture

Eddie seemingly getting three yards just by falling forward.

+4 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

I miss having a defense 

+30 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I miss having a (feared) defense.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+7 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I miss Lane Ave being blocked off and being able to drink openly there. 

Or the drunken orgies as Karen Holbrook so lovingly called it. 

+12 HS

I miss Ohio State having NFL caliber WRs.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+10 HS
sharks's picture

Neckrolls

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture
+3 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

reflective visors on helmets

+5 HS
CC's picture

Big kat wasn't the first to do it but he made it cool.

That is all.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Yea that's who first came to mind for me too, but then I also thought about those Miami teams, and the likes of Sean Taylor, and McGahee and all those other guys wearing the orange tinted reflective visors-I hate Miami, but those were some bad ass looking teams.  

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Having the nation's best defense. Ohio State football just isn't the same without an elite defense. I just feel like Urban embarrassed the Ohio State brand last year by allowing such an awful 'efense. The nation ridiculed us and we were never taken seriously. No one fears a squad who gets into shootouts with MAC-level teams. And I applaud Urban's addition of Chris Ash, but while I think he will give us a good enough defense, I want a great defense, and I don't know if we will get that. Offensively, we are going to have one of the most feared offenses in the nation. That is awesome and very exciting. Nonetheless, it won't amount to anything without the return of Buckeye Defense.

+6 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Big numbers on the shoulder pads, gray sleeves, shiny pants.

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

-Linebackers with four-syllable last names
-John Simon
-Punt returns for TDs

+6 HS
Earle's picture

I'm trying to figure out how you get 4 syllables out of Spielman.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+5 HS
bucknut8's picture

Laurinaitis 

#Buckeyes

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Gradishar, Cousineau, Middleton

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Im not sure if your making a point about them not being 4 syllables but those are all three lol 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Kat-zen-moy-er

But the Laurinaitis gets a +1 from me

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Most recent comments on the right of the page.

+13 HS

Speaking of things from the old 11w. I miss Oregon cheerleader pics.

+10 HS

Now I miss Steensn. XD

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Mid 90s to mid 2000s Bama

Antoine Winfield

Chris Spielman

Keith Byars

scUM relevance 

No Twitter

Responsible media

Black shoes

Not about the money 

+5 HS
bedheadjc's picture

The game being about running the ball.

+4 HS
Norwalk's picture

Pre-game 5 cent wings at BW3, post-game buckets at Papa Joe's. 

+3 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

I miss Columbus. And big tittied OSU broads. 

+10 HS
Earle's picture

Bullets of silver

Also:  Boxes of gray

Just say no to italics abuse.

+8 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

What this guy said ^^^

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I miss traditional offenses. Not that I don't mind seeing the talent disparity between traditional teams closed up a bit. More close exciting games now due to spread offenses and softer lineman. I guess I miss watching 90's- early 2000's college football where the running game and defense was the focus. I know the game evolves every so often, but I just miss the old style of play.

I also miss having a grass field, our old jerseys with grass stains, and I also miss traditional style helmets. Kind of weird but you asked.  I also miss Midwest dominance!

Most of all I miss the pre instant information generation of the sport. I don't care if some kid we missed out on recruiting smoked some weed, or if some kid got in a fight. I miss the days when you didn't know as much that went on outside of the field. In a sense it made the games seem that much more important to me. I feel like the offseason had become this media circus that exists because the sport has grown in popularity so rapidly. Some things are ok, I enjoy recruiting coverage. I just feel like certain things weren't made such a big deal back then. Jameis stealing crab legs, the tat 5 BS, etc are all things that no one would have heard about 20 years ago. JMO of course. I'm getting older and I miss the more simple times. The games where all that mattered then.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The media not drooling over SEC football.

Heisman trophy winners who aren't complete dumbasses.

Mullets and box top fades.

OK...was only kidding about the hairdos.

Hate Week runneth over

+8 HS

The media not drooling over SEC football.

I too miss January 1st, 2007.

+5 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

I miss the fans that have been outpriced for season tickets that made the stadium a feared place to play for opponents.  Ohio Stadium has definitely been raucous at times but no where near what it used to be. 

Also miss our silver bullet defense.  We have too often made mediocre QB's look like Heisman trophy contenders in the previous years dink and dunking down the field with the occasional and more often big play recently.

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I miss BucksFan changing his icon, and The Houndie. Long Live The Houndie. And a little piece of me misses Zim and Elika around these parts.

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS
Remy's picture

I'm surprised Chief B1G Dump didn't go with:

Chief's Drink of Choice

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

LOL +1. 

I have a Cold War bunker full of Zima.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I miss less expensive tickets and less expensive airfare!

+1 HS
makearuckus's picture

The hits from the silver bullets. dam targeting rule sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

Rocket Man's picture

I miss a time when it was more about the game and less about the sponsors, when there was a lot less money floating around.  I'm sure there was still a lot of cheating going on even back then, but it all seemed more innocent and less about the almighty dollar in the pre-BCS days.

". . . It's because I don't buy one @*$%# drop of gas in the state of _ichigan! We'll coast and PUSH this @*$%# car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of _y _oney!"

faux_maestro's picture

Beginning the day with a Bloody Mary at 9, beer on the way to skull session, flask of rum in the stadium, keg after the game, Labamba at midnight. In case you are wondering why so much booze: I was in school 1996-2002 (spring quarter before the mNC) so I knew there would be a game or 2 that I wouldn't want to remember the next day.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

Smanpoint10's picture

Beating TSUN every year. Oh wait, never mind 

+1 HS
CC's picture

Dominant, super elite, best player in the the country (or ever) lines.  Names like:

Orlando Pace

Stringer

Wilkinson

This may happen again with Bosa, no pressure! 

CC's picture

Targeting, launching and obnoxious celebrations (ironically which I hated at the time).

The old conference alignments.

Being young, eating wings and pizza and not gaining weight.

+2 HS
Misplaced Buckeye's picture

A player placing value in the education they are receiving instead of worrying about forming unions or the fact that they aren't receiving a paycheck. STUDENT/ATHLETES! Still student's first.

MAKING THE GREAT STATE OF OHIO PROUD

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Grass turf as mentioned above.  The 80s-90s jerseys.  Being a student at Ohio State.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

I formation. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

buckskin's picture

Willis McGahee and his knee.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Here is the stick - knocking him out of the game was great for the Buckeyes and horrible for the Canes. Glad he made it to the NFL.

causeicouldntgo43's picture

I miss all the shitty coaches Alabama had before they hired Nick Satan. I miss all the losses USC suffered before they hired Petey Carroll. I miss RichRod and Lloyd (once Tress came to town). Speaking of Tress, I miss they way he put the focus back on beating Michigan after Cooper was let go for not figuring that out. I feel that one day soon, I will miss the Hokester.

I'm gonna miss Lou Hotlz this year (I'll never miss his cohort - Mr. Pumpkinhead). I miss Bobby Bowden's latter years of coaching Florida State into mediocrity. I miss Bobby Petrino causing an SEC shit storm damn near every year. I fear I'm going to miss Mack Brown more and more.

OK - done feeling faklempt. Looking forward to new heroes (Urban) and villians (Darth Franklin at PSU). On with the show.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I miss the days where SEC football wasn't the best thing since sliced bread.  Not that it is, but the media seems to think so.

I miss Llllllllloyd Carr - at least he could build some pretty good TTUN teams for us to beat.  I miss the days where beating TTUN was a big signature victory beyond just satisfying my desire to see TTUN get their asses kicked by us.  Not that I don't enjoy TTUN losing several games each year, but I hated the fact that I was not overly satisfied with our 42-41 win in AA last year.  TTUN being relevant would've made that one of the most enjoyable games I've ever seen.

I miss tickets being a lot less than freaking $78.  And parking being less than freaking $15.

I will miss Brent Musberger calling the big Saturday night game every week.  Again, fuck the SEC and their stupid network.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

GRAY BOXES

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+2 HS
RBuck's picture

Being a kid.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And the innocence that was attached with being a kid!

+1 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Consistency with punt formations. It blows my mind when the scheme changes every year. 

Mike Nugent. 

D-Line rushing the passer and not dropping into the flats. 

+3 HS
DoubleB's picture

Ed-die and Nuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over.
-Joey Bosa

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I miss gray pants that aren't the color of dirty socks.

hit_the_couch's picture

I miss when all of the games were shown on ABC except for one or two, which were, on that awful four letter network. I also miss when there were fewer bowl games and it actually meant something to be bowl eligible.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
halfmile78's picture

I miss being able to drive down to Columbus and buy a ticket at a price you could afford without feeling I got gouged.I miss the days when the players were motivated by winning, not what the payday will be at the end of the year.

Halfmile78