Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Moving Out of The Great State of Ohio

BuckAlum35's picture
June 5, 2014 at 2:18pm
31 Comments

So after almost 28 years in Ohio, the past 7 in Columbus, I am moving down to Charlotte, NC for a new job. It's a big change for me and was wondering if anyone familiar with the area could suggest some good spots to watch games or just generally have a good time? Any help would be much appreciated since I had never even been to the state before until last weekend, thanks.

RandyBoBandy's picture

I'm right there with ya. Recently moved to Hilton Head from Columbus. Luckily there is a very large following on the island and a phenomenal Buckeye Bar/Restaurant in Mangiamo's that caters to all of my Buckeye and Cleveland sports needs.

Good luck with the move!

I don't wear shirts.

BuckeyeinSavannah's picture

I live in Pooler, Ga and my cousin works for Mangiamos

CharlotteBuckeye's picture

I think we stopped for breakfast at some place in pooler when we visited savannah. Savannah is an amazing city by the way, I like hanging out there more than Hilton Head. I dont come down that way during july - august tho, gets too damn hot.

1. Coach is always right.

2. See rule #1.

RandyBoBandy's picture

I work in Pooler. Area is really booming right now.

I don't wear shirts.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Traitor!

Good luck.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
InTressITrust's picture

My family did the same thing and I lived around Charlotte for 8 years during grade school.  I need to look up the alumni bar for games but it was a nice place to go.  I have not been there in a while though.  Any questions about that area I can probably answer.  Other than Columbus, that is my favorite city to live in.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Welcome to the Queen City. Downtown (Uptown to the locals) there is the Epicentre which has several bars/restaurants ect... The bowling alley called Strikers is Buckeye friendly. We need all the soldiers we can get down here.....ACC sux.

2. See rule #1.

CALPOPPY's picture

Charlotte has a well-known OSU Alumni Club:

http://www.charlottebuckeyes.com

Never been there but learned to appreciate the OSU Alumni Clubs around the country...even if not everyone is an alum. We had a blast with the Sacramento Valley Club. The Alumni clubs meant more to me when I was further from Ohio than I am now.

Here is the listing of clubs around the country. And there is a listing of International clubs as well. Often that's a good starting point.

Here is the list of game watch locations...and here is the map.

Have fun and Go Bucks!

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Citrus's picture

I moved from C-Bus to Miami, then back, then its off to DC for me in a few months. I'll probably be back after a few years. 

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

The DC area has a pretty decent OSU following.  A lot of transplanted Buckeyes here.  My only gripe is that I haven't found a Buckeye bar in the area yet.  I also live in southern Maryland and there isn't a whole lot to do down there.

The Navy took me many places but there's still only one place I call home. O-H..

+1 HS
BuckAlum35's picture

Thanks for the info! Yeah I am yet to hear a bad thing about Charlotte (besides OSU not being located there). I have looked into the alumni association a bit, probably be something I pursue once I get settled down there. I need to find a nice bar with a good craft beer selection and lots of televisions.

TheTeam16's picture

Charlotte is actually frequently referred to as "The Columbus of the South." 

It is a great city, you will love it. 

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

What is Ann Arbor refered too? Oh yeah,the whore of the North.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

That's interesting.  I think it may be the other way around soon - Charlotte is a rapidly growing city (Columbus is 15th among "major cities" so not far behind either) with better public transit.  I view Columbus, Charlotte, and Portland as sister cities.

osu07asu10's picture

Charlotte really doesn't have better public transit. They have 1 lightrail that runs East - West across the southside of downtown. Ridership is low and it doesn't really service many areas.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Which is still better than simply having COTA.  (I'm assuming Charlotte has a bike share or car share as well)

osu07asu10's picture

They do have a bikeshare. Columbus is one of the biggest small cities though. You can navigate CBus much easier than Charlotte.

RedStorm45's picture

Or really, smallest big city.

You are correct though - with 270, it's really pretty easy to get anywhere in the city in <30 minutes (outside of rush hour usually).  The problem is that it's not an attractive city to move to if people don't have a car.  I mean, people do live car-less in Cbus, but not many.  Although they are re-doing the COTA routes and Mayor Coleman wants a passenger rail line from the airport/easton to downtown.

osu07asu10's picture

I've spent stretches of time without a car in Cbus with little downside. Have friends who are professionals who work downtown and don't have a car.

I live in Victorian village and work in Worthington and can ride my bike from downtown all the way to Worthington spending less than a half mile on roadways.

Columbus is a city of neighborhoods. If you work on the NW side and live on the SE side of the city, public transportation shouldn't be your primary mode of transport

OneOfOver475000's picture

I live just south of Charlotte in Rock Hill, SC.  I usually go to the season opener at Strike City (HUGE following there as it is the home of the Charlotte Buckeyes.)  Like CharlotteBuckeye said above, it is in the epicenter (right next to Time Warner Arena - Where the Bobcats/Hornets play)  Get there early for big games or you will be standing by the bar, which isn't too bad considering you are hanging out next to 400 fellow Bucks. 

Funny side note, they hold raffles every week and the big prize is a flight into Cincinnati.  Always found that comical. 

Enjoy your move, you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of Ohioans you will be around and the fact that in two years, I have only been shut out of two games on local tv (because I don't get the B1G Network)

Strike City.....no clue where I got the name Strikers from. :(

2. See rule #1.

If you like beer you are coming to the right city.

http://www.charlottesgotalot.com/breweries-and-beer-fests

2. See rule #1.

osu07asu10's picture

The Brickhouse Tavern, ask for Kerry (GM), shes from NE Ohio and a diehard Browns fan!

and yes, Strike City is freakin amazing sans buckeyes and even better with them!

Denny's picture

Congratulations!

Taquitos.

Unky Buck's picture

Get in touch with Giovanni Strassini. I hear he has good connections to the Buckeye community in those parts.

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Yeah, I almost mentioned that shining example of proud Buckeye heritage! He was the first idea that popped in my head when Charlotte and OSU were mentioned together. 

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

WOOOOO!  Good luck.

Class of 2010.

BuckAlum35's picture

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions! I am excited to get moved in down there and check things out. It's nice that Columbus is only about a 6.5 hour drive so I can still make it back for some OSU games.

Bugsyk's picture

Make Sure to hit Ri Ra's Irish pub.  Always a good time.

SchwitzBlade's picture

Not really Buckeye specifics but definitely check out the US National Whitewater Center usnwc.org It is the training site for the US National kayak and rafting teams.  They have a man made rive that you can go whitewater rafting on as well as mountain biking, a natural river for relaxed kayaking and Stand Up Paddleboarding, a rock climibng wall, plus free concerts and a great beer selection at their bars!  The place is amazing and tons of fun.  It's only about a 15 minute drive from Uptown Charlotte.  I recently moved down here from Columbus myself, I was a little skepitcal at first.  I moved to follow my fiance and her career.  You will be surprised how diverse it is (in the sense there are tons of transplants here) So it doesn't have too much of that southern city feel.  Enjoy!

Ashtabula's picture

Plus they serve beer...so you can just sit around and watch other people get crushed by waves while you crush some Fat Tire!

+1 HS