Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

B1G Schools as Game of Thrones Characters

cplunk's picture
June 3, 2014 at 3:20pm
22 Comments

Alright, I first have to admit that I regularly make trips over to MGoBlog to see what those folks up north are talking about. I think of it as recon on the enemy. Kind of like learning Russian so if a Soviet submarine commander ever chooses to defect in a Soviet submarine with a new type of drive we can have a conversation when I go on board in a minisub from the USS Dallas.

Now I'm about to make what is probably a grievous error here on 11W and go so far as to LINK to an MGoBlog article. Blasphemous. 

However, this particular one is amusing. Or at least as amusing as non-11W college football sites get. You can ignore the anti-OSU rhetoric (although I revel in it as I think back on the last decade or so of face to face results), but read through because the last one is arguably the most amusing

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/b10-game-thrones-characters

Hovenaut's picture

"...you hate Tywin not because of his inherent evil, but because he’s willing to use his superior intellect in evil ways."

AGAINST YOUR HATED RIVAL.

RECOGNIZE.

*EDIT* I don't go over there often, but when I do, I walk away laughing.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

There was actually a thread for this for a totally seperate one. I think I like being Tywin more than Joffrey...

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I thought the MGo piece was MUCH better than the nonsense linked the other day. Ohio State as Joffrey was a complete and utter farce. I said to The Stunning Mrs. Vance at the time, "Okay, if you want to cast us as the villain, at least pick Tywin for cryin' out loud - at least I can see some logic in casting us as the brilliant all-powerful villain."

But still, it's hard to say at this point who I'd want to see cast as Ohio State... Ned Stark not being the best choice and all.

OSUStu's picture

I'd say Ohio State would be most accurately cast as one of those kick-ass, fire-breathing dragons.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

Michigan should have been Robert Baratheon...once an unmatched mighty warrior only to become fat and worthless

Penn St = Walder Frey...believes they are mighty, when they are not, and the institution as a whole is not too fond of steering clear of gross misconduct (Red Wedding = Sandusky scandal)

+5 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Good call. PSU also sits astride the bridge to the east coast.

That being said I'd still go with PSU = Craster.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

I have not seen this show but I am told a lot of people die. I hope Ohio State is a character that does not die. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
cplunk's picture

I can't say anything even though I've read the books. There was a big blowup thread the other day about spoilers and I don't want to see that again. 

+2 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

I know. I was waiting for someone to insist this thread be labeled 'Book' or 'Show' or have a 'SPOILER ALERT' posted...

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

OSUStu's picture

Wait...there are books!?!  Thanks for spoiling THAT for me.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

If you don't want Ohio State to be a character that dies, you probably want to use a different show.  Pretty much EVERYBODY dies, the show is awesome, but brutal.

BuckeyeQ6's picture

Rutgers = ..."Hodor."  Priceless.

+6 HS
PG_BUCK's picture

I just started laughing in the middle of my night class when I saw they had Rutgers as Hodor....hilarious!

Go BUCKS!

thatlillefty's picture

I'm only at Nebraska and these comparisons have me rolling! Cheers to MGoBender. Very funny.

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

Rocket Man's picture

Kudos to the author of that piece, but you know nothing, Jon Snow.

Illegitimi non carborundum

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

My problem with that is I've had the feeling for awhile that Tywin was going to get sh*t on by someone soon, nobody that powerful gets to live for that long in this series. Ohio States more like the Blackfish I think, consummate bada**.

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Urban Meyer = Jaqen H'ghar because he is a straight up assassin.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

michigan is more of a Reek.... Not sure what makes them believe they are a Jon Snow.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

I'd say Michigan is more of a Jaime Lanister. No one can deny your past as arguably one of the best swordsmen of the era, but you have a questionable past that mars the fact that you were really good. (akin to UM being the winningest ever, but by beating under developed teams early in it's inception = Kingslayer).

You were then captured by the rival regime who broke your pride & cut off your hand (Jim Tressel-OSU), and you've been a shell of yourself ever since. Despite that fact, even though we hate you and are somewhat satisfied at what you've become, we still can't help but want to see you be good again (even if it's for self-serving purposes).

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+4 HS
Rogabone's picture

The Buckeyes 2014 D-Line should be 'The Mountain'

The Mountain

"Who is that madman?" the new arrival asked St. Peter.

"That's God," St. Peter replied. "But he thinks he's Woody Hayes."

Ahh Saturday's picture

Michigan is obviously Viserys Targaryen. Comically unfounded arrogance?  Check. Obsession with mythical past greatness? Check.  Constantly pouting and whining about his return to greatness?  Check.  Getting pushed around by his little sister (brother)? Check. Gold winged helmet?  Sort of. 

+5 HS