Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

I like maps - totally random

OSU_ALUM_05's picture
May 29, 2014 at 1:26pm
57 Comments

I've seen this map before and it blows my mind every time ....just thought I'd pass it along when I saw it today.   .........Yes, I'm a nerd.

map

William's picture

Well yeah. China and India account for 1/3 of the world's population, and Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam and the Philippines are all Top 15 I think. 

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

Pakistan, the sixth most populous country, also looks to be at least partially in that circle.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I don't know why but seeing this map makes me want to have chinese food for dinner.  Totally random I know.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

Earle's picture

I like maps, too.  Especially this one:

Italics are for emphasis.

+32 HS
hodge's picture

Was this map published prior to January 3, 1959?

+5 HS
Earle's picture

Clearly.  Well-spotted.

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Hhmmm.  I am stumped.  So I will ask...what is Alaska's significance here?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Look at the map again, and consider what is missing.

+2 HS
William's picture

Hint: It rhymes with shitigan. 

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

I saw what is missing...and rightfully so.  But isn't the date Hodge cited when Alaska became the 49th state?  ...I was just asking if I missed the joke.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Alaska and Hawaii are missing from this map.  I see no other issues here.

+9 HS
Earle's picture

Hodge beat me to it.  So you didn't miss the joke in the map, but you might've missed his.

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

Fair enough.  UVs for the both of you.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Look at the map again, and consider what is missing.

+6 HS
Oyster's picture

I'll give you credit for trying to hijack this thread, but it would seem that the next two posts after your contribution are trying to keep it on topic.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

Earle's picture

You're the one talking about red X's.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

I'm guessing this is a treasure map?  Because all I can see is a red x, which obviously is marking the spot where something is buried?

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

Groveport Heisman's picture

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

1MechEng's picture

U.S. States and the countries that are closest to each state's GDP ...

equivalent GDP by State

+5 HS
OSUStu's picture

Overrated:  Gerardus Mercator 

Underrated:  John Paul Goode 

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Alabama = Iran

Saudi Arabia = Tennessee

makes sense

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Russia really is the world's New Jersey.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

2 words - birth control

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nicely put brother

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

I'm sorry Alaska, but that is garbage. Can't we count some of the Deadliest Catch guys instead? That's almost a sport.

Shitter's full

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

most popular tv show set in each state ... didn't copy over

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Hard to believe that Breaking Bad wouldn't represent New Mexico... then again, this may be an outdated image

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

What about turtles?

+4 HS

I drive truck!  ;)

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Bluke221's picture

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+1 HS
William's picture

It's soda. Only heathens call it pop. 

-4 HS
beamga's picture

Interesting that Indianapolis follows the southern trend of calling it "coke" while the rest of Indiana falls in line with the midwest and refers to it as "pop".  Also, what are do those in NM and NC call it that fall in the "other" category?

jedkat's picture

They call it Fizzy Drank?

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

Bluke221's picture

Map of Napoleon's march on Moscow and subsequent retreat. The width of the line represents the amount of living troops in his army.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+3 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

Going to be a long summer.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Map of the different dialects of the United States and Canada.  The website is really fascinating and much more in-depth.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

The west and Canada are def close! The rest of the US is just a mixed bag.

Seattle Linga's picture

Oregon is the only state with a picture on the back of the map - it's a picture of a beaver. Let the jokes begin in 3.2.1.....

+2 HS
bukyze's picture

They have the best adult beverage stores around.

+4 HS

+4 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

There was a school nearby that had the beaver for the mascot. When girls sports were being played the announcer kept calling the team the Lady Beavers. Being kids ourselves I am sure we embarrassed ourselves as much as those around us.

In any event to the OP: I love maps. I am a nerd as well. There is nothing like a good map....except maybe for a Lady Beaver.

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

They sure do love sexy time for those in that circle smh

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

How has anyone not posted this video about maps, like such as and the Iraq and Asian countries?

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You win Illy .................... I fold

I still laugh every time I watch that video - thanks for posting

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture
Africa v. Greenland

Bluke221's picture

Don't even get me started on the mercator projection....

+1 HS

Gerardus would be proud.