Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Fargo

Groveport Heisman's picture
May 21, 2014 at 4:12pm
46 Comments

Anyone else  enjoying this masterpiece of a series on FX? Basically for those that do not know this is a 10 part series(Based off the movie Fargo)that came out in 1996. This is anything but your normal cop drama and it is not for everyone I will agree with that.But me and the wife have found ourselves Tuesday night at 10p.m. waiting like little kids for this to start.

Stars:Billy Bob Thorton,Allison Tolman,Colin Hanks,Martin Freeman

Writing and produced by The Coen brothers.

RedsBuckeyeBoy's picture

I absolutely love Fargo! I have told so many friends, relatives, and co-workers to watch this show. It's crazy how little publicity it seems to be getting right now. Billy Bob's character is already among my favorites of all time. I love how he creates completely unnecessary mischief (I won't go into specifics to avoid spoilers) and the scenes where he threatens people are unbelievable. I can't wait to watch it tonight!

Oh, and the movie was just "okay" for me. I almost didn't watch the tv series because I thought the movie was actually a bit overrated.

+2 HS
RedsBuckeyeBoy's picture

To clarify, the wife works insanely early on Wednesday mornings so we watch it together on Wednesday evenings instead of its regular night.

+1 HS

I believe last nights show ran 1:17 so you get to look forward an extra 17 minutes,if watching on demand I would assume you might get a full hour as there is tons of commercials now because of the shows success.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

stevebelliseeya's picture

One of my new favorite shows....Billy Bob is delightfully creepy and Bilbo Baggins is awesomely meek and evil.

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Have not seen the show (my toddler dictates our home viewing choices), but the original film is legendary imho.

Hope to jump in and catch up via a marathon on-demand session (hell-o holiday w/e), sounds good - BBT is a great performer.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS

Yea Lorne Malvo is a character that is going down in my history book right beside Rustin Cohle.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Great show.  Dark, dark, dark.  Thornton and Freeman are exceptional.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Last night's episode was intense. The masterful aesthetics provided by the Snowstorm and score involved with Thornton as Lorne Malvo  made this episode. Allison Tolman as Molly Solverson and Colin Hanks as Gus Grimly are an great combo (hopefully that doesn't end after this week's episode).

+1 HS

Without giving anything away the Hospital,house,and freeway scenes absolutely blew me away with the cinematography and well thought out writing. Had hair standing up on the back of my neck a couple times.

+1 HS
warosu's picture

Movie is great!!!! Don't like shows based movies, but will give a peek

+1 HS
JLBNYC's picture

Movie is great!!!! Don't like shows based movies, but will give a peek

I am usually in that boat as well, but this show is so good.  And it actually seems to be simply "inspired" by the tone of the movie (totally different story so far).  Really, really good show. 

+2 HS
warosu's picture

Dexter, Breaking bad, American horror story, SoA, damn good.

Calgarybuck's picture

Minus Dexter season 7 and SOA Season 3

Calgarybuck's picture

On another note...Have you not seen True detective yet?

+1 HS

Or Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire?

Sin City Buckeye's picture

True Detective was awesome. Eager to see who they get to star next season. Another great one on HBO is Newsroom.  But Fargo & Game of Thrones have helped me with my Walking Dead & Bates Motel absence.

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+2 HS
osu407's picture

As some one who is interested in both the show and the movie but hasn't currently watched either, which is better to watch first? Movie because it was made first? Or does it not matter?

+1 HS
JLBNYC's picture

it doesnt matter. Two unrelated stories.  But if it were me, I'd knock the movie out first. Then binge watch the TV show.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

So far there's only one thing connecting the plots of the movie and the series, with another really subtle reference made in the last episode, really more of an easter egg. But you don't really need to watch the movie at all to get the series.

The movie's pretty great, btw, and it's on Netflix streaming. Strangely enough, I prefer the show, which has been absolutely fantastic so far.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
osu407's picture

Thanks guys, I've liked other Coen brothers stuff (no matter how many people tell me they hate burn after reading it is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen) but I haven't gotten around to Fargo yet. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Very unusual but very good actor in my opinion

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

The movie is absolutely great.  Top 10 for me personally.  Like others, I'm enjoying the new series as well.  I'm a tad behind though and still have the last 3 episodes in the queue.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

TheBadOwl's picture

I'm just super happy about the timing of the series, how it premiered a week after the Justified finale. Otherwise there would be a huge void on my Tuesday nights and I would feel lost in this cruel world.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

TheBadOwl's picture

If Allison Tolman doesn't win an Emmy, I'm going to write a few strongly-worded letters. 

+2 HS

Great episode tonight,Lester has really surprised me with his growing transgressions.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Coen brothers always rock. Great stories, great characters. 

+1 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

SPOILER

The scene when Malvo goes into the building and goes on a shooting rampage without seeing him shoot anyone,as the camera was out side the building and just followed the mirrored windows to go with the sounds of the rampage was a classic in cinematography. I love this show!!!

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+2 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Yeah, that was cool, but wtf were Key and Peele doing there? Lol

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Fantastic show.  My favorite new series this year.  Martin Freeman is amazing in his role, and the whole series is very gripping, I love it.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Ok, ok. This thread has convinced me. I will indeed check Fargo out.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Mizzillion's picture

Damn, Fargo is just getting better and better. Ephing love it.

TheBadOwl's picture

Last night's episode was the best one yet. The finale next week is going to be incredible.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Did someone say Effen?

Have to admit last nights episode shocked me with the writing(in a good way) after the week before was slow and predictable. The 90 minute banger to end this, next Tuesday is going to be a thing of beauty.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The craziest thing about last night's episode is that there wasn't really a ton of action for the most part. It was a moving pieces episode to get everyone in the same place for the finale. And yet it was the most suspenseful episode of the season. Especially the diner scene.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I was going to wait for an episode marathon to get caught up but I watched it this week and thought it was really good. Billy Bob is such a master at playing the creepy-evil yet likable type. Does anyone know if this is going to be an ongoing series or just a 10-part miniseries?

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS

I was under the impression it was going to be the 10 episodes then its over forever. It has been such a huge success I would like to see them go the True Detective route try a second season with different cast. I know it wont happen but Im bugged out knowing there is only 90 minutes left of this great show.

P.S. your question made me dig a bit and I'm not sure how solid the Telegraph is for a source but this seems promising.I''l copy and paste a bit.

There are just two episodes of this season left of Channel 4's Fargo, but its writer has suggested that the second season may have a different cast.

IN PICTURES: The Coen Brothers in films

Noah Hawley, who wrote the entire first series of the TV remake of the Coen Brothers' 1996 film, told E! News that a combination of cast commitments and narrative constraints will change the show.

Speaking about how the realism of the original film added to its appeal, Hawley said: "When I went in and sat down with FX, I said the movie was as powerful as it was, because at the end you knew she was going to wake up tomorrow and it was going to be a normal day."

The writer added: "And we're saying it's a true story, which it isn't, but it's following a certain true story logic, and it would strain credulity I think to have the continuing adventures of Molly and Gus with [a new storyline of] 'What crazy Coen Brother case are they going to catch next time?' My feeling is we would explore new territory, but nothing is set in stone yet.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

In the last episode, Molly's dad talked about his time as a cop in South Dakota back in the 70's, I'd love to see that as the second season.

TheBadOwl's picture
I have a feeling that the finale will be...

+2 HS

Oh its going to be all Aces my young wise barnyard friend. I like your idea about Mollys Dad I'm just not sure he can carry a whole season. I'd love for them to go backwards in time and show Molly and the chief that died adventures. Or even have all the same cast but show what they were doing leading up to the first episode of this season. With the Coen bros anything they put out is going to be solid with a shot at greatness.

TheBadOwl's picture

With the Coen bros anything they put out is going to be solid with a shot at greatness.

Actually, apart from watching the pilot and saying that they liked it, they haven't really had any input on the show. It's entirely Noah Hawley's. He's done an really incredible job with it.

I thought they had a little more influence on the show then just a nod. Noah has done excellent no doubt about it. The Coens have been part of some of my favorite movies. The Big Lebowski,O  Brother,Where Art Thou?,Burn after Reading,No Country for old men,True Grit. Couple of the best directors and producers around. I meant they are pretty much at the point that they will not touch something unless it has a shot at going somewhere. I know they write,direct,and produce. Hell they even  share editor rights under the alias Roderick Jaynes. I even enjoyed Inside Llewyn Davis which a lot of people didnt appreciate.

TheBadOwl's picture

That finale.

Danify's picture

Finale (especially with Malvo | Lester and Gus | Malvo) was fantastic! Intense.

TheBadOwl's picture

Such a fitting ending, too. Nice to see Lester get what was coming to him, since he was on thin ice the whole time...

Have to say Gus actually pulling it together and sacking up at the end against the dragon threatening his family took me by surprise. Loved the whole season and cant wait to see what they come up with next year.

+1 HS