Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

New Game of Thrones Episode

ITWASME's picture
May 18, 2014 at 10:27pm
31 Comments

All I have to say is DAMN. That may have been the best midseason episode of the whole series. Things are finally starting to come around

MackRM408's picture

Agreed. I've been described as a book snob when it comes to the show but I loved this episode. No spoiler here but just wait until the episode. It should be as memorable as last seasons Red Wedding. 

+1 HS
ITWASME's picture

It better be good if they're giving it 2 weeks until airing it

DJ Byrnes's picture

Viper vs. the Mountain is a heavyweight fight the people deserve!!!! RIDE ON THESE FOOLS OBERYN!!!!!! 

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

William's picture

Can't believe they didn't show the Viper vs. the Mountain this week. That fight is going to be amazing, and I wonder how close they'll stick to the book with it. 

KBonay's picture

has Lysa landed yet?

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

For the most part, I thought that it was good in that it is going to set up a good last couple episodes. Obviously there were parts that I said Damn to, but more excited for how the last few episodes play out. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

The biggest challenge the show faces is the time continuum that takes place in the books. It sort of forces the show to show things in an order that doesn't entirely make sense to a fan of the books but they do a bang up job of keeping things running smooth.

I have to ask the show only folks. Did anything about Prince Oberyn make you think he'd be the type to stand up to the Mountain in Tyrion's defense? His distaste for the Lannister's was made pretty obvious at his introduction but did he strike anyone as the fighting type?

The ONLY part I'm a little critical of is the whole mentor\mentee relationship Arya and the Hound have. Its not quite like that in the books. Otherwise, I have no complaints as its just good TV no matter how you slice it.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

Furious George 27's picture

I believe in the first episode when they were waiting on the road for the wedding guests, they said Oberyn was known for his fighting when they were told he arrived on his own. In a later episode they explained why he hated the Lannister's and the Mountain. Last night though explained why he was sympathetic to Tyrion and him fighting for him allows him to exact revenge on the Mountain

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

To me, Oberyn's choice came out-of-the blue.  Aside from his one altercation in the brothel, you don't see or hear much about his fighting skills -- and I think that was a conscious choice.  They laid the groundwork around the character and then backed off the foreshadowing to make his decision to fight for Tyrion feel unexpected but logical.  As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm not sure if it was a more obvious conclusion (by your tone, I'm guessing it was), but I appreciated the restrained way that the show handled it.

Before Oberyn, Tyrion was without hope -- the show captured that feeling exceptionally well.

They refer to him early and often in the book as the Red Viper-which is a name that doesn't imply pacifism. The book's 'chapters' aren't chapters at all but rather POV takes from specific characters. He never has his own chapter that I can recall so much of his reputation is built through the eyes of other characters. In the grander scheme of things, that's what I love so much about the books. Things and events are built up through the eyes of several different characters. As an example, I'll take the Red Wedding- Its hard to argue the fact that right now its the central event in the show. It was the death of a beloved character but in the books, the event takes place through Catelyn's POV-Robb never had or maybe only had 1 or 2 POV chapters. In truth, Robb was a minor character in the books and the Red Wedding was a minor event in the grand scheme of things. But as viewers, we get attached to a character who is in a central role in front of our eyes so his death becomes more traumatic. Truth be told, in the book, it was sort of a 'meh' event. The details of the Red Wedding-the mutilation of the body, the slaughter of the wolf (which the show totally botched. Grey Wind gets released into the wedding and tears like 7 people to shreds before getting killed), the sewing of the head-is revealed by other people-Sansa talks about it in her chapters and you get more detail from Arya's POV chapters but it is never expressly stated while the event is occurring in Catelyn's POV chapter (obviously her last one). In all reality, Ned's death was drawn out way more and much more brutal to the reader. The Red Wedding was like "Here's Robb, there's the Frey's. Rains of Castamere is being played annnnnd Robb's dead".

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I knew the first time they showed his character he was a man to be feared at all costs. You must have missed one of the his best scenes right after he stabbed the fat Lannister kid in the wrist. He told Tyrion how they carved up his niece and nephew and and how the Mountain raped and cut his sister in half. Told him "tell your father I am here in the Capital,and the Lannisters are not the only ones who pay their debts". Knew that would make for quite a future episode which could turn into many. If he wouldn't have made the blond kid at the brothel get naked he might have been one of my all-time favorite characters,hell he still might be after all is said and done since I refuse to read the books just to see what happens.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

chicagobuckeye's picture

I agree with Furious. They have made comments about him being the fighting prince vs. his brother. Would have been interested to see him do something beforehand, but I think their thought is to surprise everyone with the fight at how well the Mountain is known for fighting. 

labuck's picture

Yes.  I thought it would be him or Braum??  Oberyn is there for blood and this is one way he can get back at a group of people he despises.  Keep the imp alive and then take them down one at a time.  

Catch 5's picture

I told my wife before the show that I thought Oberyn was going to fight for Tyrian against the Mountain.  If you recall when Tyran offered the seat on the small counsel to Oberyn, he promised him the chance to fight the Mountain as part of the agreement.  I saw it as the perfect chance to uphold that promise, and the only way he can save the Lanister line now that the deal with Jamie is undone.  I like where he and the Imp are heading.  Could make for a very interesting relationship.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

KBonay's picture

Who would you be most disappointed in if they are were killed off?  And who would you like to see with their head on a spike?

ITWASME's picture

Well my favorite character is Tyrion but I'm pretty prepared for him dying and I want Cersei to burn in hell

joebuckeye's picture

Cersei deserves an ugly death.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The thing that is crazy to me is that Little Finger is like the orchestrator of the whole freaking plot... He was behind Jon Arryn being assassinated, he was behind Joeffry's murder.... He's the puppet master of the puppet master. It's brilliant.

Other than that, I'm probably not going to read much of the comments on this thread because people who have read the books like to spoil things without actually knowing or believing that they are spoiling things.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

KBonay's picture

It's hard to spoil it, the books aren't even finished yet....

DJ Byrnes's picture
asd

I'm one of the book snobs who has more fun with innuendo than I probably should but I will honestly say, I don't have the foggiest notion as to why Littlefinger is doing what he does. I'm about half through the last book out-Dance of Dragons-so his reasons could very well be revealed. At present, I'm content thinking he is a Joker type character who just does things to do them.

NCBuckeye1's picture

Just you wait Brewster's. All will be revealed at the 33rd Degree.

OR not. I really have no idea.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be civilization." -- Woody

DJ Byrnes's picture

As they say on R/GameofThrones, Chaos is a ladder, and Littlefinger understands that perfectly. 

"He'd burn the realm down if he could rule over its ashes." 

sharks's picture

With Lysa taking a trip, does the little prince starve?

Also, the only thing hotter than Cersei is the actress in real life.  Cannot get enough of her pout.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

KBonay's picture
Emilia Clarke: Daenerys Targaryen, Khaleesi and Mother of Dragons
VS
Natalie Dormer:  Margaery Tyrell, the Shrewd Seductress of Highgarden
VS
Lena Headey: Cersei, the Lioness of Lannister

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

I might go with Natalie Dormer but her new hairdo scares me a bit.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

AndyVance's picture

I was aghast when they cast Headey as Cersei, because I couldn't picture her as a blonde after seeing her in 300 as the hottest/most ruthless Spartan queen in history.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You're killing me K 

You're just killing me

AndyVance's picture

Natalie Dormer is a good reason to go back and rewatch Showtime's The Tudors, if you haven't done so lately.

jeremytwoface's picture

She has a small recurring role in Elementary also. I recommend it.... good show.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

AndyVance's picture

One of our absolute favorites. Extremely well cast, and the dialogue is outstanding.