Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Another Reason Why M*chigan Sucks

Drewbuckeye's picture
May 17, 2014 at 9:33pm
38 Comments

Why do Michigan fans claim their colors are maize and blue? Their colors are actually Maze and Azure. (Note: I know they are very similar but they say maize is one of their colors instead of yellow or piss, so obviously they do care about the accuracy of that. Also it is not like we say our Bucks are red and gray (grey?) )

Michigan Sucks
MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

Knarcisi's picture

Another minute off the clock, another reason. 

+5 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I've never understood the fascination with Maize. Why would you care so much to specify your color as corn? and they call us farmers! 

On a side note, it is grAy because this is America and we say so!

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

'Cus back in dem der days of _ishitcans foundin', to be called yella' was not a good thing. Dem dars fightin' words. But... if the truth fits, <ting! - spit hittin' spittoon> well dem skunks get was comin to 'em!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

Their fascination with maize? It's a Crayola color.... what their players use taking tests.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Most scUM crap actually says maize and blue...but there are many shades of blue so they went with azure blue. 

What I find hilarious is that Nike copywrited maize so when scUM switched apparel brands, Adidas had to make up a new color called sun. 

TSUN is actually sun and blue. 

+7 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

TSUN is actually sun and blue.

sun & azure

+5 HS
M Man's picture

This internet rumor is simply untrue.  Nobody gets to "copywrite" [sic] colors.  Nike trademarked "Maize" so that no other merchandiser could use that term in connection with sports apparel.

This long-running internet meme seems to go back to a blog-post on the website of the Michigan Daily, in which an undergraduate athlete named Lexi Zimmerman claimed that someone in the athletic department told her team that "Nike copyrighted 'maize'."  I actually exchanged email with Lexi Zimmerman about that subject.  She had no other factual support; she was not a Daily reporter (she was merely doing a kind of student-athlete diary); she couldn't even recall the identity of who it was or when it was they were told anything about Nike copyrights.

Michigan didn't have to change anything when we changed equipment suppliers.  Adidas, in its own retail market sales, just can't call its color "maize."

I expect that at least some of you realize that the 11W Forums did this same routine two years ago...

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I usually have found that they suck as the reason to why they suck.

+13 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

Maybe because its a shade of blue.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Isn't maize a shade of yellow? Why don't they call themselves yellow and blue?

LEBRON

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Okay if you insist.  Sheet music for the University of Michigan's alma mater, "The Yellow and Blue":

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

If it is on wikipedia, it must be true...

+4 HS
BroJim's picture

Don't hate on wikipedia, it's actually pretty accurate. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
lamplighter's picture

But was it in the Rolling Stone?

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I don't know, man...they were not thrilled when I made edits to a few articles that were blatantly inaccurate.  Threatened to ban my IP address.

Class of 2010.

ghalephoto's picture

Not to be a stick in the mud but why is the I in Michigan have an *?  I thought the common way to dis the blew was to type *ichigan...deleting the block *.

+2 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I thought the correct form was replacing the block * with a B. At least, that's how I always saw it on a certain Saturday in Fall.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

IH8UOFM's picture

I refuse to capitalize the name of the school, which I see as a subtle dig, but I doubt anyone affiliated with them is astute enough to  recognize it.

Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

Do not try to comprehend our fiendish foes, to the frozen north.  Their frenzied fights befit the finer fracas of a fallen falcon-warrior.  Why all the "F" -words you ask?  Well, you can't describe #^*%ichigan without a bunch of "F" -words. 

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+4 HS
Crumb's picture

You forgot the most common 'f' word involving that team up north; FAIL.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+2 HS
dancorona5's picture

whats great is that azure is #007FFF on the color wheel.  which is closer to the color of the sky, or a light blue.

+1 HS
My2Sons's picture

You guys really need a life.

-4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Or football season to start.

#offseasonhasonlyonecure

+9 HS
toad1204's picture

or a gray box.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS

"Go Azure" doesn't have the same ring to it...haha

Class of 2010.

Knarcisi's picture

Yeah, but it has the arrogance. 

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

If _ichigan wants to be called "Maize & Blue", let them call themselves "Maize & Blue."

We tell everyone, "No, it's Scarlet... not red" so what's the freakin difference?

Besides... they probably can't even pronounce Azure, so give 'em a break.

-3 HS
Crumb's picture

Legend has it that headed into the 1919 version of The Game, Michigan's color was just blue and Ohio State's was just grey. Chic Harley and company beat Michigan into the ground so badly that the Michigan players had wet themselves, staining their pants yellow, and the Buckeye players uniforms red with the blood of their enemy. When the Buckeyes laughed and asked "Why are your pants the color of piss?" a Michigan player said; "This... This is called Maize," dumbfounded another of the Michigan player's childishly asked; "Why are your shirts red?" The Buckeyes smiled and said "This," pointing to their uniforms, "This is Scarlet, and from now on, you'll see it every year."

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Is it really all that surprising?

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Huh, now in November they can say they look forward to getting their Azures kicked. 

+2 HS

So, what is it?

a.  Maize and blue
b.  Sun and blue
c.  Maize and azure

Or the way out there option d - sun and azure

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture
+2 HS
Crumb's picture

How about Piss and Tears?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I can agree with that Crumb

+2 HS
lvccacamcrca's picture

# UCK -ICHIGAN

MackRM408's picture

I think selling alumni association memberships on groupon is the end all

Go1Bucks's picture

I find it even more amusing that _ishitcan has to market to get their Alumni to join

Go Bucks!

+1 HS