Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

johnblairgobucks's picture

Sam is auditioning for a job in a sports league that has made millionaires out the likes of Adam Jones, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Primetime Sanders, Ocho Cinco, Micheal Strahan, Brian Bozworth, Kellen Winslow Jr, Terell Owens....etc..
He may fit right in.

-3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The difference between Michael Sam and those guys is that Michael Sam actually doesn't come off as a total self-obsessed douchebag in his interviews. So what if he took a while getting ready for his 40 at the combine? That doesn't make him an attention whore like Bassdropper so eloquently titled this thread.

Dude's a 7th-round draft pick who got offered a TV show by Oprah. Why not take that deal? Especially with everyone saying that he won't make the roster anyways.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If it's just about football, why take it? :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Oh I don't know... Maybe because he sees an opportunity to start setting his life up financially? You know, because 7th round draft picks usually don't last in the NFL. But yes, the great financial opportunity has nothing to do with it, its all for the attention.

+3 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

I hear what your saying. I really have no feeling one way or the other on Sam's journey, just saying the NFL is littered with attention whores. Cant fault Sam for trying to capitalize on oppurtunity.

+1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

4 of the men you listed are or will be hall of famers, another 2 were pro bowlers multiple years, what's the point you're trying to make? 

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

TheBadOwl's picture

Yeah, I know how that feels. I was originally on team Aaron Hernandez, but I think it's obvious that he's doing this whole "double homicide" thing for attention now. He already had his big scandal, come on, man!

You said that it's not uncommon for a player to take that long getting ready for their 40-yard dash. So, this isn't even an anomaly then, right? Why is this a big deal?

The real reason I made this post was in reference to the yahoo article about him accepting Oprah's offer of a reality show that will begin filming this summer. There is a quote from an anonymous player who doesn't seem to be too happy that there will be cameras in the locker room following a player who likely won't even play, thus causing a huge distraction on the team. 

I'm not sure if Michael Sam is going to make the STL roster, and you're right that he might never actually play a down for them. But if you were a 7th-round pick, unlikely to make the roster, and Oprah offered you your own television show, wouldn't you take it? His NFL paycheck is anything but a certainty. Might as well supplement that with some Oprah money.

It's also interesting that Jason Whitlock thinks that most of his draft day antics were staged, and I can't say that I disagree with him. 

Why does it even matter? Baseless speculation accomplishes nothing, and even if his antics were "staged" (staged in what way? Was he not actually super excited to get that call?), why does anyone really care? This is a really pointless thing to get outraged over.

I'd venture to say that the people who are super upset about Sam getting a show on the Oprah Network are also the kind of people who would never ever watch the Oprah Network anyways. You'll never watch the show, so why does any of this matter?

Hell, if Lifetime Network called me and offered to pay me a shitload of money to follow me around with cameras and piss off my coworkers, I'd accept it in a heartbeat, especially if there was an 80% chance that I wouldn't last more than a few months with that company anyways.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Need someone to listen?

Hate Week runneth over

+5 HS
BHT's picture

After looking at the video, I can see your point, but, and no offense, but who cares? There are a lot of people in the NFL and around the world that just do what they do for attention. I see where you are coming from, but I think you can make a better offseason forum post.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture
lol

i cant believe a man took a long time to prepare to run a 40 with literally millions of dollars on the line.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Jason Priestas's picture

I will ban the next person that brings Michael Sam up. How many threads do we have to delete before you guys get the clue?

Typically, we'll ride this stuff out, but I've already deleted three Michael Sam threads this week. I feel like we've discussed him and his coming out and now it's time to move on to other things.

ohhiyo's picture

thanks jason but people need to know he's gay!

+7 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

But.... But..... But.... It was in the "Anything Else" Forum.

LEBRON

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I will ban the next person that brings Michael Sam up.

Can you also do this with LeBron threads?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+13 HS
CincyOSU's picture

To be fair, this thread wasnt really that bad. The other three took a wrong turn because Colerain/Ilovetheuckeyes/ihatemichagan hijacked the thread baiting people with his moronic comments.

-2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

To be clear, it honestly wasn't necessary.

Hot button social issues and all.

Hate Week runneth over

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

2 of those threads were actually started by Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T. .Not sure how you hijack a thread you started and not sure either of those other 2 screen names are him. Baiting people he did and  I will agree on that.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-2 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Well theres onviously no way to know for sure whether they were him or not, but the timing sure makes it look that way. Colerain gets booted and two days later these usernames pop up with the same posting style.

Either way, in the words of our friends at Duck Dynasty.....He gone!

-2 HS
Earle's picture

I wouldn't be so sure...

Just say no to italics abuse.

He aint gone bro and never was. And wasn't gone for 2 days. HeHe

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-2 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

Jason Priestas 11W STAFF 12 HOURS AGO 
I will ban the next person that brings Michael Sam up. How many threads do we have to delete before you guys get the clue?

Typically, we'll ride this stuff out, but I've already deleted three Michael Sam threads this week. I feel like we've discussed him and his coming out and now it's time to move on to other things.

Please let that person be bassdropper.....

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

you mad, bro

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

Not mad at all....just think you are a douchebag.

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+1 HS
buckatron32's picture

Ill pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans!

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Shenanigans!

**I may have posted something similar already today, but whatever...it's Friday!**

+6 HS

I'll raise my hand and confirm it's time to move on.

-2 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

THANK YOU X 10000000000000000000000

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

-1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Oh . . . a Michael Sam thread. I came here for some important news about DERP DERP DERP. How disappointing.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+24 HS
AndyVance's picture

Funny, I did the same thing.

AndyVance's picture

I have no idea what Bassdropper actually said on this "issue" since I came here to read about DERP DERP DERP, but I did find it really interesting that Sam is going to star in this reality show when the major knock I heard about him leading up to the draft was this concept of being a "distraction," with the Tebow situation being the prime comparison. It's not that teams don't want a gay player, the talking heads said, it's that they don't want a "distraction." This show sort of feeds into that mentality, so I'll be curious to see how it plays out... Perhaps the Rams see it as good PR for their organization.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

My original post was along those same lines that you mentioned. The fact that he said he is only focused on football and then goes and gets a reality tv show. I personally don't think my post was bad at all, but I kind of understand where Jason is coming from.

DIRECTIONER

Jason Priestas's picture

I thought some of your points were actually pretty valid, but that title... Oh, man.

AngryWoody's picture

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Whose Line always wins

Earle's picture

I think it may be time for another "Whose Line" Friday.  Either that, or someone can start another uniform thread.  

How many days until football?  Seriously, we need a countdown clock on the site somewhere.

Just say no to italics abuse.

Crimson's picture

Poor Ryan, probably needed stitches.

KingsRite's picture

The look on Joey Porter's face was worth the price of admission. lol

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Speaking of, looks like the NFL knew about this reality show deal before the draft, but purposely kept it from the teams. Little bit of a forced social agenda, eh?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/nfl-knew-about-michael-sams-documentary-before-draft-teams-didnt/

-10 HS
William's picture

They're a private entity, they can promote whatever social agenda they want. Do we still have to talk about this shit? He's gay, he has a TV show, and he's in the NFL, time to move on. 

elitesmithie's picture

Generally speaking its kind of shitty to hide this type of thing. McCarron dropped in the draft to similar issues..oh and also being an asshole in private interviews(Allegedly). Of course when McCarron drops its not because people hates the gays its because NFL teams don't want to deal with fringe NFL talent who aren't 100% focused on making the team.

Edit: I also have a hard time believing teams didn't ask Sam about something like this. Hey youre kind of a big deal, any plans to do something about that after the draft kind of thing? I wonder if he was upfront to teams about that and dropped because of it.

Keep fighting the good fight Johnny Utah. Haters gonna Hate no matter what.

-5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Thank you Groveport. It's funny when people don't like your (free) speech, they tell you to "move on", etc. William, I bet you consider yourself a very open-minded person................except.............................wait for it............when it's an opposing viewpoint. I notice you cared enough to make a snarky/nothing-to-see-here kind of comment though William.

I don't care ---- keep raining on me with downvotes, it won't change me stating my common sense free speech.

-11 HS
William's picture

Where have I ever said that you cannot have the viewpoint that you hold? Enlighten me? I'm just amazed by the continuous ructions you choose to start about a gay guy playing football. You're entitled to have any viewpoint you want, but don't mistake my objections to them as a want for censorship, which is a wholly different concept than objection. 

I don't think you understand the concept of free speech. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean you can't be criticized for saying something, or for holding a certain viewpoint. Hell, due to 'Fighting words' legislation, you can't really say anything you want to. 

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

*Sigh*  You two really need to just walk away.  See above gif.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

The First Amendment does not apply to Eleven Warriors. It only protects your right to freedom of speech from the government making laws that would abridge that right. There's a difference.

Bolt's picture
Where's the Derp??

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I have to mow this weekend. Damn.

Hate Week runneth over

+5 HS

This is mesmerizing and Im not sure why.

vitaminB's picture

Do we have any derp lying around, I'm starving.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

We have plenty ........... it's available in the premium lounge.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

FWIW, the Rams basically told him to drop the show or he gets dropped. Show is now postponed until after he is cut.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
KingsRite's picture

Yep. Looks like the Rams realized that it was a huge distraction and that they couldn't allow cameras/mics into the locker room and training. They had to know what this was going to be when they drafted him.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

KBonay's picture

I just don't see the rationalization that cameras are a distraction. Doesn't seem to bother the 'Hard Knocks' series. If I remember correctly, the Bengals made the playoffs their season. 

elitesmithie's picture

If it wasn't an issue in the teams eyes why does the NFL have to force teams to participate? The only two teams that seem excited to do it are largely disfunctional (Jets and Bengals, although not as much lately). Do you see the Steelers, Patriots, 49'ers etc doing this? No. There is a reason.

I also think Sam is being a little selfish here. He's the first known gay man drafted. Now what are teams going to think when the second comes along? Oh great, here comes the circus. And for everyone saying he has a short time to make money; do you honestly think he will have a hard time finding a job in the media after football? Hes guarenteed a job for life after this.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

The sad thing here, truth be told, is that to some extent the media circus is probably going to have a deleterious effect on this young man's career - one only has to look at the Tebow situation to see how that turned out. Listening to Collin Cowherd interviewing Bill Parcells last week, the topic of "distractions" came up, and the point was made that teams basically just want guys who are going to come in and be 100% focused on football, not on the media sideshow. Tebow's circus was not his own creation of course (hello ESPN, et. al.), but people made a big deal because Tebow loved Jesus. Now Sam comes along and people make a big deal about the fact that he's gay, and he's going to be viewed in the same light about "distractions." I will not be surprised at all if he bounces around a couple of teams and ends up washing out because of this "distraction" nonsense.

+2 HS