Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Unofficial Petition to Replace "Seven Nation Army" with "Ohio" by The Black Keys

flying-banana's picture
May 10, 2014 at 11:45am
39 Comments

So a few years back OSU adopted the Buckeye Bounce for students to do while we all loudly chant the famous bass line from Seven Nation Army​ by The White Stripes; its fun, its loud, people jump around and get pumped for the ensuing kick/punt/play/whatever, I'm not denying that. 

Here's my issue with it, everybody does it! We may brand ours as the Buckeye Bounce but honestly that song screams Penn State for me, as they did it a lot longer before we adopted it in earnest. That, however, can be rectified by replacing the bass line from Seven Nation Army​ with the intro from Ohio by The Black Keys! Nobody else will do that chant except maybe the other Ohio Schools, but it will still be attributed to us. Its not a complicated chant, easily heard with 100,000 strong yelling it loudly and it damn well reminds the opposing team who's house they walked into. Texas A&M did Power​ by Kanye West before the Alabama game and it sounded awesome, and was unique compared to Seven Nation Army.

I graduated a few years back and no longer live in the great state of Ohio, so unfortunately I can not assist in this being brought to Ohio State but I know a lot of you are students and possibly even members of Block O, make this happen!

I can't figure out how to place YouTube videos while posting this from a tablet so here is the link to the song I'm referring to: http://youtu.be/NT689GXn8qs

flying-banana's picture

Ohh yeah, I forgot to mention (I don't know how to edit my post, I'm bad at internet-ing) The Black Keys were formed in Akron Ohio. Anyone want to guess where The White Stripes were formed?

That's right, Detroit Michigan...

route4buckeye's picture

The White Stripes are a better band and Jack White is probably the best musician in today's world.

+5 HS
hodge's picture

I remember buying Elephant in 2003 after reading Rolling Stone's five-star review; it was the record that got me into music.  It's still my favorite record to this day—flawless. 

The Black Keys have done some great work, but their earlier catalogue is far more satisfying than their current output. 

+2 HS
Patriot4098's picture

Ya I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+3 HS
route4buckeye's picture

That's your opinion and I respect that. Do yourself a favor and listen to his most recent solo album, Blunderbuss.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The White Stripes are a better band and Jack White is probably the best musician in today's world.

That claim saddens me if you believe it to be true because it means your musical world is very small.

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Or it means that you have not heard of any of Jack's music besides Icky Thump or Seven Nation Army. He's an extremely talented musician. Now, I'm not closed-minded to think that he is the absolute best, because that is opinion. I do think other musicians are parallel, but White is a genius.

+1 HS

I've listened to The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather his dabbling into bluegrass, his various collaborations & yes his new album. There's nothing earth shattering there. Quirky =/= genius.

On the positive side he's a better drummer than Meg.

route4buckeye's picture

Welp. We all have our opinions.

hodge's picture

Personally, I really dig on garage rock -- from the Sonics to the Stooges, the Chesterfield Kings to the Hives.  I don't listen to it because I don't know what else is out there, I just think that the simplicity of the music distills the effect it has on me.

To me, The White Stripes blended country blues and raw power to create some of the finest music that I've ever heard.  Sure, it may lack the nuance of the Beatles and the virtuosity of Rush, but -- to me, at least -- there's something about that thin, raw sound that hits me at a gut level harder than anything else.  The drums may be primitive and the guitar sometimes unintelligible (Jimmy Page was famously sloppy as well), but the Stripes' music connects with me on an emotional level that few artists can -- which is genius in its own right.

But I understand that it might not be your bag, Lutefisk.  What kind of tunes have that kind of effect on you?

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Not a very good song to get hyped to, honest opinion.

+4 HS
Patriot4098's picture

All ya need is the bass line. Listen to the verse and imagine the Shoe chanting "Ohio" with less instrumentals.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

How about instead, "Four Days" by the Counting Crows:

"...have you seen Ohio rise, it has been four days and nights..."

-3 HS
KBonay's picture
+13 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

hahah you thought I was being serious

take a joke

-7 HS
lsjSnail's picture

That is the lamest shit lol. This isn't Long Horn steak house.

+1 HS
c92996p's picture

I'm all for replacing Seven Nation Army with another song, but you've actually got to pick something that fans can get pumped for.  Black Keys aren't going to cut it.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think we need to seriously consider Shania Twain.

+1 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

Haha!  Or, better yet, the Hoff

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
Bigbutterbuckeye's picture

I have already considered Shania Twain, my friend. Many times.

Oh you meant her music. Yeah whatever.

southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Ok.  First of all, I'm a geezer who has never actually heard a Black Keys song.  So I went to the link to listen to it.

The intro is like, "woo uh woo uh woo uh woo OHIO", and then an answer of "HIO!"  It kinda does have good rhythm and balance for a back and forth chant.  Block O could do the opening part of the chant and the entire stadium could respond with the answering "HIO"!

Yeah, I could see that working.  And it is unique to Ohio. 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

seven nation army is catchy and easy to chant. "Ohio" wouldn't be appropriate for pre-kick off cheering IMO. Its a nice tune but its just not very catchy or upbeat. Zombie Nation is another fan favorite, so you'd have to replace SNA with something along those lines. 

+1 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

I like where your heads at with this but the song just isn't enough to get folks pumped up IMO. Hell, a Luke Bryan song would get more people excited than this would. 

sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
thowen79's picture

Can't post the video from my phone, but check out "If I had a heart" by Fever Ray. It's another one that probably wouldn't pump up the crowd enough but would be awesome for a pregame type song.

+3 HS

Well somebody's a Vikings fan.

+2 HS
thowen79's picture

Haha, you got it. It's a pretty awesome show.

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Ragnar is King!

Football is complicated...

AngryWoody's picture

Signed.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
Scott's picture

Co-signed.

Class of 2008

edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

The instrumental of Kanye West's "Power" and replace the repeated lryics with "Oh-oh, hiiii-o. Oh-oh, hiii-o. Oh-oh, hiii-o. Oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-hi-o..." Easy to learn/repeat and has a good, up-tempo beat

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

RBuck's picture

Just an opinion from a guy stuck in the 60's and 70's:

Ohio by the Black Keys seems a bit too bluesy to me for a get me pumped up song. Dig the tune but no.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Since Michigan has laid claim to some of our best football talent, I propose we do the same with their music.  I mean, let's face it: Michigan produces some pretty great musicians.

In that vein, here's an alternate proposal from a dude who attended UM (if only for a short time):

ceegeelawrence's picture

I actually dig it, I too am sick of seeing so many colleges do the exact same Seven Nation Army chant. And I don't think that the song being too bluesy is really a problem considering the 'whoa-o-o-o-o-ohio..." or whatever would be the chant. In that short of a snippet I think it would sound kind of bad ass. Definitely different for sure, but I think that's kind of the point.

hit_the_couch's picture

I don't like either group, but I hate the no talent White Stripes with a passion. Other teams use that song too. tOSU needs something unique and The Black Keys are from Ohio also. I'm all for the switch. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!