Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

A great video in the aftermath of the Donald Sterling controversy

HattanBuck85's picture
May 4, 2014 at 10:56am
30 Comments

BroJim's picture

"What other race is a mascot?" very valid point.

Thanks for the post!

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Good points by both of you. Though, some of the "races" you have listed are not races. 

NW Buckeye's picture

Yeah, some are not races, but none the less they represent groups of people that can be drawn back to specific races.  The point is that team names are chosen to make the team take on desirable connotations of the group they are named for.  It is a form of honor / flattery towards that group of people.  There is nothing derogatory about naming a team "The Fighting Irish" or "Vikings". 

Also, some of the Native American team names, such as Braves or Chiefs only represent groups instead of a complete race.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

While some of what you say is true, I disagree with your notion of "desirable connotations". I don't think the redskins or chief wahoo falter many American Indians. And while the chief or braves represent a subculture or ethnicities (important distinction made by you, thanks) , some of the teams traditions or rituals are racist.

Oyster's picture

Fighting Irish is a stereotype.  How is that not offensive to all the Irish who don't believe that fighting is the way to solve a dispute?

+2 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Vikings, Trojans, Spartans, Minutemen, Volunteers, Aztecs, Cowboys, Sooners, Crusaders, Rough Riders, The Fighting Scotts (HS Team) ....... the list goes on..

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Our last name is Brown, and our family has been around much longer than Brown University, or the Cleveland Browns...just sayin...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

Norwalk is home of the Truckers, and no, our girls teams aren't known as the lot lizards.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Maybe it's because I'm getting older. But I thought the opening skit in SNL last night was just disgraceful. Totally disrespectful & completely classless. And not at all funny. 

+2 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I agree that it wasn't particularly funny, but there was nothing "disgraceful" about it.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Pardon the language, but Chris Rock was right on when he talked about it - (Explicit)

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

This too, is a great clip. Start at about 4:15 if you're intrested

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/bomani-jones-donald-sterling_n_5233565.html

JakeBuckeye's picture

So true. Its sickening that to this day Native Americans are made a complete mockery of through mascots and racist team names. Maybe its America's failure/fear of acknowledging Native Americans. After all, our country was largely founded upon their slaughter...

-1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Jake, you are in dire need of a real and true history lesson. 

The premise that this country was founded upon the slaughter of Native Americans is one of the biggest fallacies taught throughout the public education system. It fits so well with the agenda of the left to place blame upon the "evil white settlers", but the Native Americans were some of the most ruthless and animalistic groups of people in the past 4 centuries. 

-2 HS
BroJim's picture

Can you please link this to literature?

BroJim's picture

Somone gave me a thumbs down for asking to see a source. That is Awesome.

-4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

DO NOT DISCUSS POLITICS OR RELIGION

Sorry, we just don't want any of that stuff around here and discussing one of those topics is the quickest way to earn the banhammer. There are plenty of other places on the internet for you to talk about politics and/or religion.

Just in case you forgot, or do you just not care at this point?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Any particular reason you didn't place that after the initial post?

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Because we're 20+ comments in and this one is the most egregious, as it calls out a specific part of the political spectrum?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Sterling is a real creep, but, I think he's a victim in this...being secretly recorded in the privacy of his own home. Then subsequently being forced to sell his own team. I don't agree with anything he said, but the NBA is full of fake outrage here, being that many of them knew of this racist's ways for decades.

JakeBuckeye's picture

Hard for me to call him anything close to a victim. There's no church in the wild. He'd have done the same thing to someone else if it meant any benefits for him.

-1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Don't know about being a victim, but anything that is recorded without your knowledge isn't admissible in court.  I'm a little surprised he isn't fighting this a little more.  Maybe because of the cancer, or maybe it's because he is profiting like 2000% off his original purchase of the team.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

being secretly recorded in the privacy of his own home. 

He asked his girlfriend to record him, as he sometimes forgets things that he's said. So, he was aware he was being recorded. It was his idea in the first place.

I don't agree with anything he said, but the NBA is full of fake outrage here, being that many of them knew of this racist's ways for decades.

It's not fake outrage, people are legitimately upset about his views towards minorities. You're right that most people knew about his racist ways for decades, but they never had completely verifiable evidence of this until now.

Also, as I've said before, it's not a free speech issue. If he was facing criminal charges, then yes, it would be. But the NBA is not a government institution, and can punish its employees for doing things that get them bad press or go against what they stand for. Donald Sterling did both of those things, and while he is a franchise owner, he needs the NBA's approval to own the franchise in the first place, and by making these comments, he betrayed their trust.

Donald Sterling is free to say whatever he wants, but he is not exempt from his employer's punishment.

-2 HS

He asked his girlfriend to record him, as he sometimes forgets things that he's said. So, he was aware he was being recorded. It was his idea in the first place.

Has there ever been another source for that claim other than TMZ?

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Per ESPN:

"It was by mutual agreement that it was going to be recorded," he said. "There was nothing going on back then. There was no lawsuit. There was no rift. In October he threw a birthday party for her even."

California law requires both parties to agree to recording a conversation that one would reasonably expect to be private.

Stiviano worked as Sterling's archivist, and Nehoray said she had been mischaracterized in the media. Sterling and Stiviano were friends, but the two never had an intimate relationship, Nehoray said.

-1 HS

Thanks for that but still, Stiviano's attorney is not exactly what you would call unbiased.

elitesmithie's picture

The previous lawsuits werent examples? Him yelling at his own players like Baron Davis aren't examples? Anyone who didnt know this guy was a dirtbag in the NBA is nuts. I have zero sympathy for people like Doc Rivers who willingly signed there.

Id hate to see all our ours convo's when fighting with our spouse/significant other be placed in public. I am sure we all say some things that arent kosher. 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but I've never heard any Native Americans complain about professional sports. It seems like another case of fake outrage. White journalists like to sit behind their keyboards and complain about the racism directed towards any number of races. I won't even pretend to know who is offended by what. 

+3 HS