Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Prometheus (the movie) Explained

JakeBuckeye's picture
May 1, 2014 at 5:01pm
18 Comments

For any of those who have seen the movie Prometheus, this is a fascinating explanation for much of the movie and its ideas. (WARNING: Spoilers)

Here's the link:

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Here's an excerpt to pique your interest:

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

AndyVance's picture

Wow, to quote Marty McFly, that's heavy. I'll admit that the movie... puzzled me. There was certainly a lot there. Rumors of an impending sequel also interest me.

Citrus's picture

I watched Prometheus in 3D and enjoyed it. It seems I am the only one. I appreciated this post.

KBonay's picture

The opening scene, in 3d, was insane. But after that, I didn't get much more out of it. 

Citrus's picture

The scene in which Adam opens the hologram was worth the extra $

bedheadjc's picture

Huge Ridley Scott fan, huge Alien/Aliens fan, and an amateur T.E. Lawrence historian, but I never want to see this for fear of being massively disappointed.

AndyVance's picture

Okay, I'm going to be the kid in class who raises his hand to ask a stupid question: Ridley Scott, check. Aliens, check. What's the T.E. Lawrence connection to Prometheus?

OSUStu's picture

I know there are a number of references to Lawrence of Arabia in the movie.  But, maybe those were intended to be references to the man himself and not the film.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

As far as I can gather without reading enough to spoil things (I don't want to see it but I don't want to spoil it if I decide to) the android in this film, played by Michael Fassbender, is obsessed with T.E. Lawrence as played by Peter O' Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. He goes so far as to style his hair in O' Toole's movie manner, and to reenact scenes from the movie. I have no idea how this corresponds to Prometheus' story. Maybe because the android sees O'Toole/Lawrence as the human ideal and he's trying to become that?

Also I think I remember reading that somehow Scott was trying to have the Prometheus/Aliens/Alien world exist in his Bladerunner universe and vice versa. Which I can't confirm. And that would sadden me. The Tyrell Corporation and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation should not co-exist. My Sci-Fi fanboy heart would explode if that was to be the case. I think I read Prometheus II could explore this route.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Thanks for the reminder - it's been a while since I saw the film, and I completely forgot all of that about David (Fassender's character).

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I hope they actually proceed with the second Prometheus movie.  Right now it is set to be released in 2016.  I want to see where the story really starts to tie into the Alien(s) storyline.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
niblick's picture

couldnt wait to see that movie when it came out, was grossly disappointed.

Jack Fu's picture

For me, 'Prometheus' was a really interesting, atmospheric sci-fi movie that had a lot of cool ideas on its mind, and then halfway through it remembered that it was supposed to be an 'Alien' prequel and went batshit insane.

+7 HS
OSUStu's picture

and went batshit insane

But, that is the best part.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

lol, that was funny.  I have no idea why/how this is a prequel to an Alien movie.

TheBadOwl's picture

Came here to post this video, really all of the "Everything wrong with _______" videos are great. The Matrix one is probably the best of the series, as much as I love that movie.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"Everything Wrong With Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" was my favorite. But yeah, I like all of them.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

buckeyedexter's picture

lol, that was funny.  I have no idea why/how this is a prequel to an Alien movie.