Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Visiting Columbus at the end of November

Calgarybuck's picture
May 1, 2014 at 10:41am
22 Comments

So it's official, flights booked hotel booked since last summer i'm coming to C-bus! 

Now this begs the question, what do I do? I have a few other Canadian friends who are visiting for the Michigan game weekend and we A) need tickets B) awesome bars to have fun at C) how does the tailgating work? do I just walk around with a 30 pack and walk around? I'm not to experienced with the whole tailgating thing so any help with any of these topics would be greatly appreciated! I've pretty much dreamed about visiting Ohio stadium for the past 15 years and can't believe it's all going down this year! 

osu07asu10's picture

do I just walk around with a 30 pack and walk around?

DON'T do that unless you want to spend a night in the CPD hotel err drunk tank!

I guess I would start by asking what area of Columbus is your hotel at? That will probably dictate what bars you'll visit before game day. 

As far as game day campus bars go, you can't go wrong. Seriously, it's campus and it will be scUM weekend, every bar is worth stopping in. Now, Varsity Club (although it will be packed) is probably a must go to if you aren't in town often. Otherwise just bar hop up and down high street.

For tailgating, see if you can find a tailgate to go visit (fellow 11dubbers, friends, etc) that will make it much easier but there are some public lots you could park in and drink around your car. 

As for me, I would recommend getting off at the Ackerman Road exit on 315 and trying to park on a side street or yard off of Neil Avenue. That will put you in the heart of the fun and you can walk to bars and or tailgates.

If that doesn't work, I live down in Victorian Village / Short North. It is a 15-20 minute walk to the stadium and you can ALWAYS find free parking down there.  It also has any number of bars, nightlife, restaurants to eat at, and is also a stones throw from the Arena district.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Calgarybuck's picture

It's on S High St, so it sounds like i'm in good shape! 

I'd love to visit and meet up with fellow 11dubbers at the tailgate and hopefully during the weekend and have a few beers with you all, Get in on Thursday night so I'm looking to immediately hit up some bars! Thanks for all the tips, I'm beyond excited for this! 

osu07asu10's picture

If it is on S. High Street that puts you South of downtown.  It could be close to German Village but with this much time until the game, maybe you could move up closer to campus/short north area. 

Broad Street in Columbus is the divide for N. High Street and S. High Street. 

Calgarybuck's picture

I'm actually staying at the german village inn...No idea if it's good or bad but there was 5 hotels to choose from in all of Columbus when I booked it back in July...had to scramble on that one..

osu07asu10's picture

That's in a great spot of the city, especially for German Village.

I was afraid you were farther down S. High St. and that would get you in an area you may not really want to be in.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

the options are near endless

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

I also plan to fly in and will need 4 tickets. Would love insight on best way to get. 

+1 HS
rekrul's picture

It is hard to explain because even though someone may try you will not understand until you see it...  My advice, just show up head for the noise of music playing and you will soon find out what I mean when you see which appears to be a never ending sea of scarlet and gray getting tipsy...  Little help with area, Varsity Club...  That should be your starting point, which could also be your ending point.

I would suggest grabbing some Hound Dogs pizza and ordering a Smoking Joe Spicy...  The sauce has an amazing spice to it, or you can get the Three degree sauce which is even hotter.

Out Work, Out Think, Out Play!!!

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Day of game scalping isn't awful...if you have the cajones to wait until 10 minutes before kickoff.  Prices will drop by then.  If you're looking to have tix in hand before that, well...stubhub I guess?

Hard to go wrong with any on campus bars if you're looking for gameday atmosphere.  And if you're looking for other things to do that weekend, I highly recommend experiencecolumbus.com.

Calgarybuck's picture

Will def do Stubhub, Don't want to stress before kickoff, but thanks for the heads up! I'll check out that website! I'm really looking forward to partying the moment I land with all you ppl! 

RedStorm45's picture

Based on your post above (arriving Thursday - is that Thanksgiving?), you will have plenty of time to check some things out around Columbus besides the campus bar scene.

No idea on age range, interests, etc. but I would recommend 16 bit bar on 4th street downtown - probably 5 minutes from where you'll be staying.  You can even take a CoGo (bike sharing) if you want instead of paying for a cab.

The Arena District - north side of downtown, so maybe 10 minutes from German Village - has upwards of a dozen bars.  It will have less of a "gameday" feel to it on Thursday and Friday, but still draws big crowds.  It's adjacent to the Short North, which is never a bad option.

Calgarybuck's picture

Hey I'm 28 but fit in everywhere inbetween, without sounding like a dating add from the 90's I just fit in everywhere and love to have a few beers where there's good vibes and good ppl..

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

It would be pretty funny if the Flames or Canadiens are in town for a CBJ game that Thursday or Friday night, if you're into hockey.

I would definitely recommend 16-bit, unless you're not into dozens of old school arcade games (for free!).

I'm sure schedules will come out closer to the fall -> places often line up live music and such the week of the Michigan game.  A little less "hectic" I guess you might say, would be Grandview - some really cool places just outside of downtown and campus but without feeling like you have to yell at your bartenders just to get a drink...most of the time haha.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

16 bit as in Street fighter? and NBA Jam...As well, I'm a huge Canadiens fan, (boston is going down...I hope) hockey would be cool but i'd be more interested in hopefully seeing a buckeye hoops game and out and in the city then locked in an arena non-buckeye affiliated for 3 hours.

Go1Bucks's picture

Speaking of which, do we have an 11W gathering place / tail gate location on game days?  Is this something we have enough interest in having or starting? I'm GAME. (pun intended)

Go Bucks!

Calgarybuck's picture

I was wondering more like a *ichigan week takeover.  Maybe have a bar be designated for 11W HQ have a cover at like $5-10 a head towards a charity but that way we have a place to gather Thursday-Sunday..Just a thought

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

That most likely wouldn't be possible on campus (gamedays are when they make their money for the entire year).

I know 11w was out back of VC one time, but I'd definitely be down for a bar take over.

My suggestion would be Macs in the Short North. Haha always seats available and they have killer meatloaf

Calgarybuck's picture

You talking bout meatloaf?

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

Go to CGroverL's recent post - - the suggestions for game day are really starting to pile up over there

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

Earle's picture

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS