Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Shooting Enthusiasts?

Ohioste's picture
April 27, 2014 at 9:50pm
90 Comments

Now that the weather is finally starting to turn for the better, I'm able to get out and shoot a little more. 

Just figured I'd see what other Buckeyes shot. 

Today I was shooting my DPMS GII Bull Barrel .308. First time out with it and it's crazy accurate for a semi-automatic rifle. 

I'm an NRA Pistol Instructor as well so always shooting random pistols but today was a rifle day. Shot around a little with a friends M1A Socom II which was nice, but I preferred my DPMS. 

Anyone else out there put some holes in some paper(or other things) recently?

InvertMyVeer's picture

I just have my trusty shotgun, locked away and loaded in case (hopefully never) I need it. I have been wanting to pick up a rifle for fun though, but the funds aren't quite there right now. I'm pretty new to the gun world, any suggestions? (Just want something to shoot for fun, would like to keep the damage under $1,000)

Football is complicated...

+6 HS
smithwessonBuckeye's picture

I would look into the Savage bolt actions. Their accutrigger is pretty nice and their price point is more than fair. There are lots of options for you, due the research. It should be more than manageable to find a rifle that meets all of your introductory needs for even under $500.

+7 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Savage, that's who I got my shotgun from (stevens 320). Thanks a bunch!

+5 HS
hodge's picture

I have my grandfather's old J. Stevens 59A .410 shotgun (which is now owned by Savage).  It's probably 80-90 years old, been meaning to see if it's in working order for a while now.

+5 HS
dcviper's picture

A .22LR bolt gun. Cheap to shoot, fun as all hell, and it really brings your fundamentals to the next level.

+5 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

For a first time rifle purchase I'd recommend either a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795 and then adding a Tech-SIGHT & GI sling (more info can be found in this PDF). Your next step should be registering for the nearest Appleseed shoot. I might even be your instructor. :D

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Yea I liked the look and feel of the ruger I was looking at, after the positive reviews on here I'm definitely leaning towards it. I'll check out that Appleseed thing too, thanks!

+2 HS

Whatever .22LR I have close to me. I also enjoy my STI 1911, but due to lack of funds, have reduced that to my trusty night companion.

GSG1911-22, S&W MP15-22 are my typical .22 go to's with my full size AR.

+6 HS
Ohioste's picture

There are plenty of options for under 1,000. Just depends now what you're looking for. Long range, short to mid range. You can go bolt action for a little higher accuracy or semi auto for holding a higher capacity magazine. 

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll tell you what I think. Again, it's just what I think and everyone has their own opinions. All I know is what I've used and what I like. It differs for everyone.

+5 HS

Thats good advice. I have a rule about information: Take 15% of the top and the bottom of all information and focus on what you find in the middle. Nothing is ever as great or as bad as some people would like us to believe.

BTW, jealous of the M1A trigger time.

+6 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Long range or mid-range would be fun -- I'd like to work on my accuracy. Not really worried about higher magazine capacity. Bolt-action would be a blast for me actually. I was looking at a ruger rimfire (I think???) at the store the other day but like I said I'm pretty new to guns and don't know really what to look for.

+5 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Don't have a rig yet, but I'm addicted to watching Hickok45 videos on youtube

+5 HS
Ohioste's picture

The top names in bolt actions are Remington, howa and savage. Caliber is another option. Really long range you want a .308 round. For 100 to 200 yards a .223 will be fine and you can get them reasonably priced. Those are both center fire. The rim fires are .22lr which are great plinking guns because they are accurate and cheap to shoot. The downside to those right now is ammo availability. It's incredibly hard to find and if you go to a gun show right now to buy it it's about 50% more than what you could buy it for in walmart when you find it. 

I would assume you were looking at a ruger 10/22 which are really nice rifles. Fun to shoot and affordable. I'm a softie for ruger as that was my first firearm. A 22lr pistol handed down from my grandpa to dad to me. 

+4 HS
William's picture

I thought the demand for .22 LR dropped after the craze this past summer? For awhile they were limiting the purchase of it to 100 rounds per customer up here, but I haven't seen any limitations of late. Although I avoided all of those shenanigans when I went home to NC last summer during break and stocked up on .22 LR down there. 

+6 HS

It's a lot better than it was. Unfortunately you have people who will hit the local Wal-Marts & similar stores on the day that ammo is delivered. They buy up everything available & then turn around & resell it via Craigslist or at shows at a big markup.

+5 HS
dcviper's picture

I haven't seen .22LR at my local Wally World (Bethel and Sawmill) since late 2012.

+6 HS

If the store is one that is being targeted by price gougers, your best bet is to talk to the store manager & see if they are willing to vary the day & times that they restock ammo. Once they get away from stocking on the same day/time (ie every Wednesday morning at 6AM) to a more random schedule it will go a long way towards thwarting the hoarders.

+2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

The top names in bolt actions are Remington, howa and savage.

The top names in CHEAP bolt actions (all fine, serviceable rifle brands, good buys for the money)...just saying.

In guns, specifically handguns, you most definitely get what you pay for. There's a world of difference between a Lorcin 9mm and a used CZ 9mm that's just $200-300 more.

Savage rifles have long been good value for short money. But I'll take a used Model 70 Classic from the 90's over a brand new Savage (and the $300-500 bump) any day. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Thought this was going to be about OSU hoops or Jonny Threebler, but I still dig this thread.

+1 HS

I shoot NRA high power. My service match rifle started life as a Colt HBAR but at this point the upper & lower receivers are pretty much the only original parts. My long range rifle is a Tubb 2K in .260 Rem.

Like S&W I'm a big fan of using .22LR as a lower cost training aid. I put a brick or two a week through a dedicated .22LR upper.

I've been active in the CMP for two decades and I'm also a big supporter of Project Appleseed.

+5 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Im a crossbow man myself..Check out a Barnett Vengeance invert and enjoy some serious skill. Have guns and love them but they are only for home protection here.Shooting a squirrel from 80 yards away with a bow has a certain kind of adrenaline release that can not be explained with words.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Not a pro and certainly don't know a lot about guns, except that I like to shoot them.  I got to do a tour with the Navy Seals last year in San Diego and was lucky enough to go through a couple magazines with this bad boy.  First time with an automatic & did fairly well.  Only 2 off target on my second attempt when we were going head, heart, belly.

+10 HS
otrain2416's picture

^ KBonay your targets like 50 bullets to the head heart and lungs just a flesh wound I can handle it

+6 HS
dcviper's picture

I used to love banging away at killer tomatoes with .50s and 20mms. Some of my best days in the Navy.

+6 HS
Boom777's picture

Not yet, can't wait to get out. I'm shooting an H&K SL8-1 and it's my favorite rifle. It has it's ups and downs (expensive single stack mags!) but it's super accurate. 

Wherever you are, there you be!

+5 HS
dcviper's picture

I just bought a new Winchester Super-X3. I can't wait to haul it out to Briar Rabbit and bust some clays on their new traps. I've also got a S&W M&P15T that's just a joy to shoot.

+6 HS
krazy12's picture

This makes me sad. VA disability here. No longer able to own a weapon. I'm actually having a hard time dealing with the loss of my weapons. My friends and family are mostly hunters. Seeing all those Facebook pics and stories has given me a bad case of gun envy. I will miss hunting and playing on nice days. I would also feel more comfortable owning at least one hand gun to protect my family but what can you do? To everyone that can hunt..Bag one for me!!

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
-General George S. Patton

+8 HS
Ohioste's picture

Sorry to hear that Krazy. Never a good experience.

+5 HS
krazy12's picture

It's a big change indeed. Thank you for not getting weird or touchy about my post. I'm trying a new thing and sharing things more publicly. Even though I dont know any of you personally I feel fairly comfortable here. Baby steps. I will get to admitting this stuff in front of friends and family soon enough.

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
-General George S. Patton

+5 HS
BuckGnome's picture

That sucks, man.   At times, life can seem like an ongoing and repetitive kick in the nuts.

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

LOL at whoever is serially downvoting. Does that make you feel better? Haha

+5 HS
Ohioste's picture

Yeah, made me laugh too. I had to go up vote everyone since I technically caused it by starting the thread. 

+9 HS
DudeNick4's picture

I got out a couple weeks ago and ran about 200 rounds through the Glock 27 and Sig P226.  I met a buddy of mine at a range outside Deceiveland to stretch the legs on his new Daniel Defense upper. 

+6 HS
HighBallAce's picture

I have considering getting a Glock 27 or a Sig! I have a Taurus PT92 that I really like but the last time I shot it was really cold and I was really shocked at all the malfunctions I kept having. It's a very nice weapon and way better than the Beretta's but alas isn't trustworthy in all weather conditions. I hate the Glocks but everyone has told me sense way back when I was in the academy that they are nice weapons so I guess I'm gonna break down and get one.

I also have a Colt .223 as well as my Remington 870 and a old peanut gallery .22 that's fun to shoot. I love shooting and have taken many class' and hope to take several more this season.

+3 HS
DudeNick4's picture

I'll be honest with you, I'm not a big fan of Glock either, and the only reason I have the Glock 27 is because I got such a stupid good deal on it, but since the first time I've fired it I've been looking for a replacement, however it's just not that high of a priority for me at the moment.  The only problem with Sig is they are darn proud of their product and you'll pay for it.  However, the P226 is by far the nicest handgun I've ever fired.

+3 HS
alust2013's picture

The P226 is so easy to shoot and ridiculously accurate. I think the only nicer thing I've shot is a HK 9, don't remember the model though. Very comfortable, but not quite as easy to be accurate.

...and Michigan still sucks.

+2 HS
Boom777's picture

I have the HK45 and it's been well worth the money, p30 is comparable with to the sig 226. Just throwing it out there

+2 HS
Angler's picture

Take a look at the Springfeild XDM. Nice gun with some safety options that don't come on the Glocks. 

+2 HS
Boom777's picture

Glocks have a safety! 

+2 HS
Angler's picture

Yes they do. The XDM has a grip safety as well if you are looking for safety features. Both are very good striker fired pistols. 

+2 HS
Boom777's picture

I find Glocks safety to be a joke. 

+1 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Not completely off-topic, but I was wondering what some of you more knowledgeable Buckeye/gun enthusiasts are using and/or would recommend for home defense (in a household with small children)?  I have seriously considered about purchasing a firearm that would be relatively "user friendly" considering that I probably will not go to a shooting range on a frequent basis (but I would certainly find the time to take a safety course and target practice a minimum of 1-2 times a year).  Do any of you have any thoughts/opinions on this matter?

Side note: My limited experience with firearms is shooting low-caliber rifles and pistols at a target range in my teens (i.e., 20 years ago with my father). If I recall correctly, I was comfortable handling the guns and was above-average in skill, but would not consider myself a marksman at all:-)

EDIT: Thank you guys (and ladies) for all of this info!  Please know that I greatly appreciated your insightful (and responsible!) comments on this subject matter.  All of these responses have provided me with a lot of food for thought that one wouldn't readily find with a conventional web search.  Just another reason why I love this forum community.  Thanks again and Go Bucks!

+5 HS
Ohioste's picture

Are you only looking for pistols? Shotguns are a great choice for home defense because of the area that is covered by the shot. Meaning one shot and you have a much better shot to hit a target.

If you're looking for pistols, I'd agree with a comment above. You, for the most part, get what you pay for. I would look at the name brands and figure out what's best for you and try to shoot different brands/calibers.

Also, is anyone else possibly going to use this firearm? Make sure they are able to rack it. I had to buy a new pistol for home defense because my wife could not pull back the slide on my Springfield XD9 subcompact. Make sure they are able to try it.

And as I mentioned above, this is just strictly MY opinion(and may not be the most popular one) but with small children, Glock may not be the best choice. They are an extremely popular pistol and a great pistol but their safety(only on the trigger) scares me with a growing up fast 8 month old girl in my house. In the end, you are the ultimate safety and should never rely on a mechanical device to stop the firearm from shooting.

This question is the most popular in my concealed carry courses and impossible to answer. Most gun ranges(call and check) allow you to rent firearms so it's a great opportunity to try before you buy.

Or, if you're going to take the classes before hand, call a NRA instructor and see what types and how many pistols they have to rent for the class. I know you're not wanting it for carry purprose and that's the main reason people take the class but it covers the safety, proper handling, safety, cleaning, safety, ammunition, malfunctions, etc. Did I mention safety? :)

It was vague, but I hope it helped.

+7 HS

Not vague at all and thank you for your insight!  Your answer has essentially indicated what I thought would be the case regarding a pistol.  I just need to stop being lazy and go out and actually try/shoot various handguns to see what feels right for me (and wife).  With that in mind, do you have a recommendation as far to the caliber/amount of "stopping power" (e.g., putting an intruder down vs. going through your neighbor's house) I should be looking into?  I also appreciate your suggestion as to considering a shotgun since it is not completely out of the question that I may not be able to hit the broadside of a barn with a pistol in the heat of the moment ;-)  Do you have an opinion as far as a gauge/brand of shotgun that would be ideal for home defense?  Thanks again!

PS-Yes, I am certainly considering a concealed carry course for the reasons you mentioned (even though I have no interest in carrying the gun on my person).

+3 HS
Ohioste's picture

I'm not much of a shotgun guy so I'm not the best person to answer that. I'm sure someone on here uses them much more than me. I shoot for fun and self defense and don't do much skeet so shotguns just haven't interested me yet.

As far as pistol calibers, I prefer a 9mm and my wife likes the .380. She likes the 22LR more but understands why the .380 is a better self defense round. Being a home defense firearm, you have the option to have a larger pistol and barrel to help with both accuracy and less recoil. The reason I carry a 9 is because I don't feel I'm accurate enough with a 45 subcompact pistol. You'll hear some say that's the only thing to carry because it'll stop anyone. I carry critical defense ammo which is pretty nasty stuff and would be confident in my accuracy and that particular cartridge that I could bring just about anyone down. If one doesn't do the trick, I have 12 more tries.

My wife really likes the Walther PK380. I had her test a few before we bought. We tried the Ruger LCP and it was her least favorite. It's really really compact but she had a hard time getting a grip on it to rack it. To me, it had a surprisingly long trigger pull as well. Heat of the moment it may not matter but for someone that wasn't used to shooting a lot, she started anticipating more than she should and it effected accuracy.

+3 HS
yrro's picture

There are two levels of thought I recommend. If you are able-bodied and will carry a reasonable sized gun (full size or compact), then buy a 9mm. It's cheap, it's plentiful, and if you get a good defensive load, it's plenty effective.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?99-Self-Defense-and-Duty-Loads-ba...

Doc GKR is probably the most respected ballistics expert in the industry. 40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .357 magnum are all great, functional calibers... but they're generally harder to shoot and most importantly, more expensive. And they don't really give you that much of an advantage when using modern ammunition.

If you cannot or will not shoot or carry a full size gun, then get whatever you can and will carry, because having any gun at all is better than no gun.

Just don't try to have it both ways and get one of those teenie tiny 9mm's, or a 5-shot snub .357 magnum. It'll hurt your hands to shoot it, you won't practice with it, and you won't get good enough to be useful with the gun.

+4 HS
mh277907's picture

Your comment made me think of one of my favorite Bill Burr stories...

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
HighBallAce's picture

To be hoenst with you as far as my Taurus or basically it's a Beretta as they are just clone's of Beretta's, I would go with the Taurus PT92 as it has a key that you put in the grip that locks it up and even if you have a round in the tube, you can't fire that thing as long as it's locked. It come's with two keys that are easy to lose but if you put one on your keychain and one in your drawer beside your bed, most kids can't figure out how to unlock them. At least not at a younger age. My daugthters couldn't ever figure them out. However the best thing is to teach your kids about guns and how to be safe with them. Most kids that think guns are cool and end up getting hurt by them are the one's who weren't taught to be safe with them or to have had the mistique of them taken away from them. I mean I was raised with guns sense I was in diapers and it was kinda like been there, done that. We knew they were to kill and not something you messed with.

I spent 659 for my Taurus and it's a good gun. Just not reliable in the cold. If you use it for home defense, it works great and to be honest, I had put over 300 rounds through it before I had cleaned it that time too so that has a big effect on how well it'll shoot too. However I highly recommend it for safety reasons.

+3 HS

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will definitely consider the Taurus out when the time comes for a purchase.  I also agree with your POV regarding guns and children.  This was also my personal experience based on the lectures/instruction I received from my father and my handling/cleaning of weapons (under strict supervision; "always handle the gun as if it is loaded").  Consequently, I was extremely cautious and had a very healthy respect for firearms at an early age as well. 

+3 HS
CC's picture

Bcb - I have guns and kids.  In short I separate the two with a barska biometric safe in the closet of our bedroom.  It is a stand up safe so I can have long and short guns in the safe.  I feel totally safe having the guns with kids.  

With respect to the gun itself our quick access home defense weapon is a beretta 92fs in 9mm.  15 round mag, ambidextrous and small enough for my wife to shoot.

We also have a shotgun and I plan to get a AR-10 from JP Enterprises or Sig.

Somebody broke into our cars (we didn't think we were in that type of area) and I'm not going to be a victim.  I sleep much better knowing that I can defend my home and family if called upon.  FYI - if you join the nr they send a documentary on tactics of home defense.  It was very insightful about strategies for defending your home.

+2 HS

You will find a different opinion or option from literally everyone that owns a firearm. I prefer to use a caliber/firearm that will not penetrate walls and potentially harm someone else. I like my 1911, but it is heavy and some people have not had good experiences with reliability and this platform.

You hit the nail on the head with user friendly. But, user friendly is different to everyone. There are a few shops that you have the opportunity to rent a firearm and see what is most comfortable to you. Make sure you can operate the firearm in the dark and in high stress situations, adrenaline can be counterproductive when you lose fine motor skills. I am more confident with a SBR in the middle of the night than I am with a pistol, I have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds with rifles. I am confident in my ability with my pistol, but ideally I would have an SBR in a pistol caliber (someday soon). That is my preference and it is definitely different than other enthusiasts.

I would suggest after purchasing a firearm to take A LOT of time and get to know the weapon. Fire hundreds of rounds through it. If you buy a semi-auto make sure you know what ammunition will cycle and feed reliability and what ammunition will not. Know how much lubrication your firearm likes. Some like to be "dirty" and some like to be wet (insert dirty joke here). 

I would be available to email back and forth with you if you have any specific questions that you would not want to be in an open forum. I am a firearm enthusiast and I think and talk about this all the time. Make sure you get as much information/opinions as you can to make sure you make the best choice for you and your family.

+6 HS
DudeNick4's picture

I agree with this.  A Rifle in the M4/M16 platform is much easier to handle by a wider variety of users with preference going to the Short Barreled Rifle, although an SBR has it's own set of challenges. Shotguns are less ideal for home defense for several reasons which we won't discuss here as it's really not the place for this discussion.  And pistols, unless you use them a LOT are difficult to make accurate hits at any distance.

+4 HS
yrro's picture

I agree with you that an AR is a great weapon for home defense. I tend to recommend shotguns only because the manual of arms is simpler for a new user, and because they are much cheaper than a quality AR, especially given the post-Newton rush on anything resembling an "Assault Weapon." I wouldn't really recommend any AR that retails for less than $900. Far too many people have jumped on that gravy train without bothering with proper quality control.

+3 HS
DudeNick4's picture

Yes, there are a few brands I try to steer people towards when it comes to ARs, but as they say... you can lead a horse to water...

Oh I agree completely, straight out of the box the Shotgun is about as simple as it comes, sans a revolver.

+4 HS
CC's picture

SWB - so you don't think a 1911, I assume in .45, will not go through drywall?  I would not want to be on the other side of that wall.

+1 HS

Less of a chance than my .223/5.56. The .45ACP is a big and slow bullet, drywall yes...Multiple layers of drywall, still likely, but not as likely as my .223 which will penetrate a lot of things in a short distance with its size and speed.

Edit: In short, those are my two legitimate options at the moment.

+1 HS
yrro's picture

Any load that will go reliably stop a person will go through drywall and wooden walls. 9mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 00 Buckshot, .223....  All will go through several layers of drywall. You have to be aware of what is on the other side of your target. Frangible rounds or birdshot that will stop in normal building materials don't penetrate people reliably enough to stop them.

The advantage to .223 rounds is that when they go through a barrier, they quickly start to tumble, which causes them to slow down and veer off quickly. This usually results in them going into the ground rather than continuing on a ballistic trajectory.

In general, this whole thing is mostly a concern inside the same house. Anything that penetrates a couple walls will keep going, but it likely isn't going to have enough velocity left to travel very far afterward. I wouldn't want to be standing on the porch, for example, but the neighbors are probably safe.

William's picture

Frangible rounds or birdshot that will stop in normal building materials don't penetrate people reliably enough to stop them.

Completely disagree with this. Birdshot at 10 yards or less is really going to tear the piss out of someone, and it isn't going to penetrate through a wall like buckshot. In a home, at close quarters, birdshot would drop someone, no question, especially something like No. 6 shot. Also at a close range like that, the birdshot will still have a tight pattern. Plenty of power to take someone down, and less of a risk that it travels through walls into another room. Anyway it doesn't really matter which type of round someone chooses to use, what matters most is your level of comfort with the firearm you intend to use, doesn't matter if you've got a 1911 in the nightstand if you aren't comfortable using it. 

Good breakdown of the buckshot vs. birdshot debate at Shooting Illustrated. 

+2 HS
yrro's picture

The problem with birdshot isn't the pattern, it's the penetration depth. Even at close range, birdshot into ballistic gelatin only penetrates about six inches. It'll definitely mess the guy up, and could very likely result in *convincing* him to stop -- but that's not deep enough to reliably *force* him to stop. 

That said, I completely agree with you on the second part. The first rule of a gunfight is "have a gun you can use." That's enough to be successful in 90% of civilian uses of firearms in self defense. All of the discussion about caliber and what types of bullets and any of that stuff is way down the list in terms of importance. Honestly, I'd rather someone have a double barrel bird gun they've been shooting for years than the fanciest hottest Glock/M4/Tactical Shotgun and a half day class. I mean, it's definitely one of those "if you can go straight to the best, why not" situations, but we shouldn't let our nerd discussions of the best get in the way of getting *something* and practicing with it.

+1 HS
yrro's picture

The absolute best answer I can give you is to go read Cornered Cat. It's aimed at women, but it is absolutely the *best* source of information for all new gun owners I have ever found.

For home defense - a basic pump 12-gauge and 20-gauge shotgun is going to be the cheapest way to get something that is reliable, effective, and easy to use. You can find a Mossberg 500 for $300 new. If smaller people will be shooting it you can look at the youth model as well. Put some reduced-recoil 00 buckshot in it and you have a great home defense gun.

If you want a pistol (because you can store it more easily in a bedside safe, or because you might want to work your way to a concealed carry license), the easiest way to get something solid is to carry a gun used by a major police department. An M&P, a Glock, or an H&K in 9mm are excellent and reliable guns. The Columbus police use M&Ps. They will be more expensive than the shotgun, but more versatile. Don't buy cheap, don't go too small, and don't go gimmicky. You don't want or need a caliber that is bigger than 9mm. It'll just be more expensive and harder to shoot. You do want a full size or possible "compact" gun - don't go for one of the subcompact snub revolvers or Keltecs. They're just too darn hard to learn how to shoot.

When you're budgetting, figure about double the cost of the gun for extra magazines, a good holster (get something made out of kydex, please. Nothing made by Uncle Mike's. They are worse than awful.), and enough ammunition to get by. Practice ammunition is much cheaper when bought online in bulk from some place like https://www.laxammo.com/ . I would recommend you just buy a 500 round tub when you buy your gun.

The best place to start (after reading Cornered Cat) if you want to buy a handgun is to take the Ohio CCW course. Even if you don't intend to carry, it will go through all of the basics of safety and marksmanship, give you an idea of where to go from there, and as a bonus give you a better understanding of Ohio firearms and self defense law (which can occasionally be tricky).

As far as guns and children - if you are trusting any safety feature of the gun itself to protect your children, you're setting yourself up for failure. You gun should always be either a) on your person or b) locked in a gun safe or cabinet. You can get quick-open gun bedside gun safes for a reasonable amount of money ($100 for a basic handgun safe that fits in a drawer). These are usually easier and faster to unlock than a gun lock. Cornered Cat has a great section on how to educate your kids on firearms safety, too.

If you do find out you enjoy it, there are several great pistol game clubs around Columbus. USPSA and IDPA matches are like playing video games with pistols, and are very good practice for your gun handling skills.

+4 HS
cinserious's picture

@YRRO: What's the deal with Uncle Mike's? I've used one to holster my .380 on a daily basis for the past year (I carry daily at work). First thing I did was cut off the top strap and haven't had any problems with it. The outer material did seem to wear off rather quickly though. What is Kydex and what benefits did you get from that material in a holster? Thx in advance.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+3 HS
yrro's picture

I maybe got a little carried away on the "worse than awful" line. I actually do own one that I bought with my first gun to have something while I waited for my other holster to ship. When I say Uncle Mike's, I mean their generic nylon holsters. Note that this mostly applies to belt holsters - pocket holsters have slightly different requirements.

A holster should:

1) Secure the gun from all reasonable movement.

2) Cover the trigger guard to prevent the gun from accidentally firing.

3) Not shift, tilt, twist, move, sag, or generally adjust themselves to a different position.

4) Not collapse when the gun is removed. That is, you should be able to holster the gun without having to hold the mouth of the holster open, thereby muzzling your fingers with the barrel of the gun when you holster.

5) Allow a smooth, clean draw. 

The majority of inexpensive nylon holsters fail at all of these things. The one I bought certainly does. This makes the gun more uncomfortable to wear, slower to present, and more dangerous to draw and holster.

Kydex is a type of sturdy plastic that is often used for holsters. Most high quality holsters are made of either leather, kydex, or a combination of the two. Leather tends to be a little more comfortable, kydex does a better job of keeping its stiffness while inside a belt.

An example of the type of quality of holster I'm talking about would be something like this http://shop.blade-tech.com/nano-holster-c-1_13_16.html#.U1624uZdX_4

In outside the waistband holsters, you can get something in an in-between quality in an injection molded holster, but I only use for those gun games, because they don't conceal as well or easily, and they aren't as durable. 

It's definitely more expensive, and often more annoying, because you have to order stuff online and sometimes even wait a few weeks for it to be made, but the difference in comfort and safety is huge.

As usual, Cornered Cat (www.corneredcat.com) goes into *much* better detail on this. There's a whole two chapters devoted to holster selection and what makes a good or bad holster. I have no affiliation with that site, btw, I just think Kathy Jackson does an amazing job of putting all of the core bits of info in one place.

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

Thanks YRRO for the info. I might use it to purchase a better holster for my .40 cal Glock 23 with comfort, safety, and concealability in mind!

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

Boom777's picture

Some shooting ranges let you rent guns. Try some out and being in a range will give you a sense of which caliber you like and how loud a gun is indoors. Shotguns and rifles are really loud indoors and have about 50000 pounds of pressure coming out of the barrel. They make low recoil ammo but I would not use it use semi-auto firearms it might not cycle the ammo. Comfort is the key 

+1 HS
740buckeye's picture

Had to login to join in on the fun... I mainly shoot a Glock 19 and Beretta 92fs. Made it out to Briar Rabbit 3 times so far this year. Nothing better. I'm getting married at the end of May, so I haven't been able to buy many toys lately, but I'd like to pick up a Remington 1100 classic trap soon.

+4 HS
yrro's picture

I've got a Ruger revolver and an old Colt 1911 that I've been trying to get running well enough to shoot USPSA with. Also starting playing around with some shotgun games with a Remington 870. Really enjoying the idea of sporting clays.

I just spent the weekend messing around with some old guns pulled out of my grandmother-in-law's attic. Cleaned up a lovely old Iver Johnson .410 break action shotgun. I already have plans for that to be my daughter's gun when she gets big enough. :)

Anyone have any local trainers that they like? I've glanced around at the courses at blackwing and aim-hi, but I've not found anyone who has taken them to give a review.

+3 HS
Ohioste's picture

So, have to say I'm extremely impressed with the users in this site. When newcomers ask questions I normally here this is what you HAVE to carry by brand and caliber. 

I've always been impressed with the site and users and now just have another reason.  

+5 HS
DudeNick4's picture

Right. The best brand and caliber is the one you shoot the best with.  When it comes to new shooters, that's the basic advice I can give.  Thanks for starting this thread.

+8 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

I liked my 6 mm Remington Varmint Special (heavy barrel). I had always hoped to buy something a bit fancier but we moved to St. Thomas, USVI and there are no ranges. Hell the whole damn island is 3 miles by 14 miles so the space to put a nice range is too limiting. I miss shooting at a nice range but during the last winter in Ohio I did not miss the weather you folks suffered with.

We also watch Sons of Guns and the last episode was interesting when they installed a rifle on an ATV with a Paradigm gyro mount. The two choices were an AR based platform in .308 versus a 300 (not Winchester mag). At 600+ yards the 300 lacked power to detonate the targets. I suspected that would be the outcome but watching the fall off in energy was pretty dramatic.

Thanks for the topic. It is fun to talk guns, women, and football. :-)

+4 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Nice on the 6mm!  I got a Ruger M77 6mm as a highschool graduation gift long ago.  It's sent MANY groundhogs to the Great bean field in the sky.   It's only every fired hand loads.

jpbuckeye's picture

I had a 300 yd shot on a groundhog with just his head out, My buddies asked me to not take the shot as I would surely miss and only succeed in scaring the rest down their holes. I benched it off the truck hood and sent a round out. There was discrepancy on the kill so we walked downrange to confirm. Chalk one up for Jpbuckeye!

I miss shooting since we moved to St Thomas. On a rock that is 3 miles by 12 miles we have no rifle ranges.

SouthernBuck's picture

I'm more of a hunter than a shooter but love to pull the trigger either way.  Love to plink with the Remington Speedmaster .22LR my dad gave me.  I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 in case of emergency.  Just busted a turkey Saturday morning with my Mossberg 835.  

+3 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

I have a flint lock pistol handed down to me from my grandfather.  There are no markings on it as far as a manufacturers go, so I don't think it's worth much.  It hasn't been fired since 1984, so I'm not sure it's even safe.  

Other than that, I hunt deer and turkey with a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump action.  Duck/Quail/Pheasant with a 12 gauge Beretta over under.  I carry a Springfield XDS (.45 ACP) at all times.  I have a two-tone Glock 30 (Double stack .45 ACP) locked in my night stand.  I have a Remington 700 (300 Win-Mag) for hunting large game and when I hunt large game, I carry a Smith and Wesson .500 magnum (4" barrel) with 500 grain slugs in case the large game cops an attitude.  

I'd like to add a "sporting rifle" to my collection just for fun.  

Thanks for starting this thread....it's refreshing to see so many folks on line who aren't convinced guns need to be outlawed.   

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+3 HS
Ohioste's picture

Yeah, the Remington 700 was my next choice for long range rifle. The only time I'd hunt is if I know someone is going to use the animal and as much as possible. I'm a picky eater and don't really care for it much. I wouldn't mind it or have anything against, just don't have a need at the moment. 

I just enjoy putting holes through the paper or a tannerite can here and there. 

+2 HS
Crumb's picture

Anybody know of some good ranges in southwest Ohio? Seems like I can never find a place that is nice and safe.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+2 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Point Blank near Blue Ash (NE Cinci) is pretty solid.  Clean, nice staff, and they are rarely out of ammo.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Is it usually crowded, and are they strictly a pistol range?

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

Bugsyk's picture

They have rifle lanes. I haven't had issues with crowds i.e. never had to wait for a lane.

+1 HS
OSUnathen's picture

Latest purchase was a Bersa 9mm semi compact handgun. Love it, easy to shoot and smoothest 9mm I've ever shot. 

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I like to shoot da crap with my friends.

+1 HS
Dayton Buckeye's picture

My wife has a bersa 380. Nice little pistol. She has no problem handling this firearm. I have a XDS 45. Good conceal carry firearm. My favorite firearm is my Remington 11-87. Great shotgun.

Go1Bucks's picture

1908 Savage Arms 7shot mag LR22, Remington Bolt Action 30-06, Browning 50 Cal.

Yea Shooting!

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!

Wesleyburgess1's picture

I just bought myself a new M&P 15-22 this spring. I absolutely love it. I went out with my Dad little brother and one of his friends the other day and did some plinking. Was pretty fun. We had a little competition and I lost because Im still shooting with open sights. Looking to buy a new scope for it.

I own two of them. I have lots of information if you need it. I have about 15,000 through the first and about 300 through the second. Never a hiccup.

yrro's picture

Oh, I just wanted to add a little plug that might interest people in this thread. Ballistic Radio (ballisticradio.com) out of Cincinnati is a great Ohio radio program on guns and shooting. More self-defense oriented than hunting, but they have really interesting guests and interviews, and the podcast is up every week after the show. It's gotten me through quite a few long commutes.

Ohioste's picture

Sounds like we could have ourselves a nice little Eleven Warriors militia :)

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

As is to say............... 

+5 HS
Ohioste's picture

Anyone around Dayton been to the gun show there? Going to head there Sunday morning. What should my expectations be for pricing?

cinserious's picture

My dad used to take me from Cincy to the gun show in Dayton's Hara Arena a couple times a year as a kid. This brings back fond memories. We used to go to the ones at the Cincinnati Gardens before the city banned them. Fascist bastards!