Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Colbert to The Late Show?

jamesrbrown322's picture
April 10, 2014 at 12:51pm
46 Comments

I know it's not sports, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thought about the news that Stephen Colbert will replace David Letterman in 2015. They are under the same umbrella, Viacom, so I assume that the CBS knows what they have in Colbert.

I know he's divisive for some people. I think he's hilarious, because I appreciate his satire. However, I am not too sure that the character he plays translates well to a show like Late Night. Perhaps it does. I certainly hope so, because he's a funny dude, and I'd like to see him succeed. Many have assumed that the character will disappear, and he will just be himself, which I understand is quite hilarious as well.

However, one has to wonder how many people will watch, given how "political" he has been in the past. He's a much better choice than Chelsea Handler, or his cohort of sorts, Jon Stewart. But I am not sure that I'm sold.

Anyone disagree or have any other thoughts?

Bolt's picture

Woah, that's awesome. He can kind of be himself more instead of satirically playing Bill O'Reilly (which don't get me wrong, is very funny...but Colbert is very quick witted and hilarious without playing a character). I actually got to be in his studio audience for one of his shows years back (when Flaming Lips were his guest, which was....awesome) and he comes out and does a Q & A with the audience and does improv (we were informed to throw anything we could think of because he came up as an improv artist) and it was probably the funniest part of the experience. He's very intelligent and quick witted. He'll do really well.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

You mean he's not an O'Reilly fan?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Bolt's picture

Good write up on him from someone who's crossed paths with him...

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/real-or-fake-stephen-colberts-late-show...

dancorona5's picture

I think his character will go away and we will just get him being him.  Time will tell whether or not it works out for them.

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

Exactly. Why would he continue the character? 

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Im not an expert  on this subject but I think Colberts main target audience now is completely different then what it will be if this is true. Like many things in life this will be a gamble with plenty of risk but such a high reward if it pays off. I hope it works out because this might pave the way for many other talented folks...I sure do wish they would have picked Daniel Tosh.0

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

jamesrbrown322's picture

I heard that Daniel Tosh refused to sacrifice his artistic integrity.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

I do not know if you dislike Daniel Tosh, but I understand he does not belong on the late show, but his show is freaking hilarious.

O-H!

+1 HS

I absolutely love Tosh.0, but we all know the blue hairs and  elitist would absolutely cut our oxygen off if he were to get such a gig.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Might he be tabbed to replace Colbert?

It'd be great if they got John Oliver back to replace Colbert, but I'm not sure how long his current contract is.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

This is probably a good idea, though I was always holding out hope that John Stewart would get Letterman's seat.  As good as Colbert is, there are few people in media more intelligent, articulate, and entertaining than John Stewart.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Gotta figure that as divisive as Colbert is, Stewart is even more so. I think that's why they went to Colbert. I'm actually very interested is seeing him be himself.

Unky Buck's picture

I agree with this. I love both of them. The shows are still great, but Stewart lays it all out there instead of playing a character and I wonder if that hurts him a bit in trying to supplant Letterman.

I think Colbert would do a great job. Like everyone has already said, he's very witty and quick with a joke and when you look at a guy like Fallon, it's all about charisma in front of a camera and I think Colbert definitely has that.

And while someone said the audience may be different, I don't think it will. Colbert goes on at 11:30 already, so the time slot is the same, and you have to imagine he'll bring along a slew of his current audience with him. While he'll be handling an older audience on average than he's used to, I still think he'll be able to hold onto them.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Good point on their respective ideologies, but like Colbert -- he plays up his beliefs because it's good for the show.  It is worth mentioning that Stewart had his own talk show on MTV a while back (his last guest was Letterman, ironically), but I do think he'll probably stay within the political realm if he ever leaves The Daily Show.

I'll agree and I think that's their gamble and hope that he can drag his audience along.Even if its the same time slot I think it might be  a slight different group. It can and probably mostly will work out in the end and hopefully it does so in my lifetime I can see similar transitions that I'll enjoy more.

BED's picture

Since both Letterman and Steward are unfunny, it would be a natural transition.  Colbert is too funny for the Late Show.

(Why don't they just give it to Louis C.K., since he had a 3 episode arc about it?)

The Ohio State University, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2006
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Class of 2009

rdubs's picture

I love Louie, and it would be a crazy coincidence if he would have ended up with the show, but I don't think he has the energy they want for that position.  His comedy and character always seem a little too dark and subdued for the Late Night show.

With Colbert hosting, I might have to actually watch occasionally.  Stewart is good at what he does, but I am not sure he tries that hard to be funny any more so much as just pointing out absurdities.

TheBadOwl's picture

Jon Stewart is my favorite person on television. And I love Colbert, he does a great job playing his character, and by all accounts he is a fantastic person.

With that said, Colbert is probably the best satire artist of my generation. I think that he provides more value to society in that role than he would as a network talk-show host. But I'm still excited to watch his show.

It's a pretty great time for late-night television, though. Fallon and Meyers have both been great, and a Colbert/Ferguson tag team on CBS is going to be entertaining as hell. Kinda crazy going from Leno/Letterman (I've never been too fond of either) to Fallon and Colbert.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
NC_Buckeye's picture

I'm a big Craig Ferguson fan. And I think even Craig would admit that his robot sidekick & AssMode don't translate very well to the 11:30 demographic. But I'm reading that CBS is probably going to force him out of the 12:30 slot due to him getting creamed by Seth Meyers. And they've been talking to Chelsea Handler about taking over The Late Late Show.

I like Chelsea but I get the feeling that her heart is no longer into hosting a talk show. Or maybe it's just E!.

Wished they would just leave Ferguson alone.Wondering what he could do if CBS could cough up a little money. He operates on a shoestring as it is.

If they do force him out, I hope he does at least one last puppet show. Those are the best.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Craig rocks. He's apparently getting between $5-12 million from CBS since he got passed over for the Late Show spot, so it's not all bad. Bold move by CBS if they replace him with Handler, not personally a fan and I think she's way too brash to be on network, but whatever.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

OSUEXT's picture

From what I understand, Stewart is more interested in side projects like directing movies, which would be foreclosed by taking over for Letterman. Also, the numbers make more sense for Colbert. Colbert's contract runs out at Comedy Central at the end of this year, and with Stewart being the premier Comedy Central brand, Stewart at CBS would have probably taken some unholy numbers from CBS. 

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I wanted Norm MacDonald as the Late Show replacement. He is hilarious.

Unky Buck's picture

Why isn't Chevy Chase's name being tossed around?

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

That was more of a joke based on his previously failed attempt at a late night talk show.

+3 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

This is why sarcasm font was invented......

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Lol, it wasn't really necessary there. I imagine most people know what I'm talking about and even those a little younger, well under 40 years like me, have seen that Family Guy episode enough where they changed the past and Chevy Chase took over The Tonight Show and how bad Peter and Brian thought they messed up because of that.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Made me very sad to read this^^^^

I was totally unaware of what an A-Hole he was/is.

Go1Bucks's picture

Because being tossed around isn't necessary, he still picking himself up from the 70's.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS

Alex Jones out of Austin,Texas is rumored to have turned down the gig for fear of Government repercussions.

Dennis Miller is a funny guy, too...and quippy smart.

-2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Dennis Miller is great but he's not "the right kind of guy" to get a network job if you follow my drift...

Our Honor Defend!

SOF_Buckeye's picture

"not the left kind of guy"...there, I fixed it for you.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+3 HS
ScarletNGrey01's picture

Indeed, the liberal entertainment industry conspires to keep brilliant personalities like Dennis Miller out of the lime light.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

My bad. It's just easy to perceive it that way when 90% of the time it's the case. But no, you're right. Looking at reality is an awful way to form an opinion....

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS

Exactly Woody.

no, there's no liberal bias in the media...especially with the late night talk show hosts. They don't treat Obama differently. They don't use kid gloves.

-4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

People don't shut Dennis Miller out because he's not liberal, people shut Dennis Miller out because, frankly, he cannot possibly draw a huge audience like Colbert, Fallon or Conan.

Television execs care only about ratings, and that's something Dennis Miller cannot bring them, because he is simply not a big enough name, and he's not charismatic enough. Let's not make this about politics. This entire damn commentariat has been way too political lately as it is.

teddyballgame's picture

He's also 60.

Colbert is almost 50, I think they're planning to get 15 years out of him.

+1 HS
ScarletNGrey01's picture

Colbert is perfect for this, he's quick witted, funny, magnetic personality, uber high energy, and brings with him a large following of a young demographics CBS would love to pull in.  Of course he will drop his Corbert Report persona, absurd to think otherwise.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

Colbert's act has gotten stale.

I used to love his show, but now all I see is his strange ear.

Greg Gutfeld would be a breath of fresh air, very funny guy. Howard Stern agrees.

-5 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Nobody's act has gotten more stale than Howard Stern.  His show is awful now

+4 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Meh. Not a fan.

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
CRAFTFORTHESTEAL's picture

I was not a huge fan of Leno or Letterman, but first Jimmy (who is not funny at all) and now Stephen (who is a well groomed Andy Dick). I think late night talk shows are officially DEAD. But that is just my opinion, and I know a lot of people like the guy or both of them. I for one cannot stomach them, ALMOST as bad as George Lopez getting a show!

Pay It Forward!

-3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Here's part 2 of that segment, for anyone interested. Better than part 1 IMO.

TheBadOwl's picture

Jon Stewart did a segment last night about how happy he is to see Colbert get the CBS gig. Pretty heartwarming stuff.

While I will be sad to see The Colbert Report go, I'm excited to see a guy as awesome as Stephen Colbert move up in the world. By all accounts, there is no better human being in television than Colbert.

+2 HS