Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

OT: OAR 2014 Summer Tour

RedStorm45's picture
March 31, 2014 at 4:16pm
11 Comments

I know there are a decent number of OAR fans on 11W, so here ya go:

http://www.ofarevolution.com/on-tour

Co-headlining...with Philip Philips.  GTFO OAR.  I sincerely hope this is some kind of early April Fool's joke.  And ticket prices at some venues are insane ($110+ GA).

It's also great to see them screwing over Columbus (where they claim to have "grown up")...the ONLY non-Thursday-Sunday show on the entire summer tour.  Tuesday shows are terrible.  Give me something resembling the weekend, like they are doing with every other show.

Buckeyeneer's picture

I lived on the same floor with one of the OAR guys freshman year. I'm a fan, but I won't be shelling out that kind of money for a band that I saw at least a half dozen time for $0-$20 per ticket.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

RedStorm45's picture

FWIW, Cbus will be ~$47 after the fees.

brandonbauer87's picture

I don't want to come off like a hipster, but.....OAR is a shell of its former self. Their earlier stuff is still some of my favorite music. Their newer "made for radio" stuff is hot garbage for the most part. The last time I saw them was at the LC for their All Sides tour. I still try to like their new music, but I'm lucky to like one song from each album. 

+3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Yeah, I mean their last couple of summer tours were fine because they would play one, maybe two "new" songs and the rest were all of their old stuff.  Unfortunately, this will also be an album tour so I'm sure a few songs will be off their new album.  But the last few times I saw them I could tolerate "Peace" or "Heaven" in between everything else.

Add in that they are trying to reach out to some new "phans" who will be at shows to see Philip Philips, AND it's probably going to be an even 90 minute / 90 minute split...pass.  I'll wait and see what their set lists look like from the first few shows.

Bluke221's picture

I'm with ya. I hate to be the guy that claims a band "sold out" but I get that feeling with OAR. Not that I am not happy those guys are successful, they certainly deserve it. I think what I'm trying to say is more along the lines of them sacrificing some of their genuine creativity that was so prevalent in their first couple albums for a more radio friendly / generic sound. In fact maybe sold out is the wrong way to put as this is how you make money unfortunately. I saw them play at Riverbend last summer opening for DMB. I was really hoping to hear some stuff from The Wanderer and Soul's Aflame but they played mostly new stuff. No CGOP which I didn't expect. I remember seeing them live at The Newport or LC Pavillion when I was at OSU  circa 01-04 and those are some of the best concerts I've been to.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

LouBuck35's picture

I was at one of their shows at Newport in 2002 and it was insane.  Couldn't have fit any more people in there and they probably oversold the show - but it was great.  But I tend to agree with a lot of posters on here.  A few of their singles in the past few years have been catchy, but nothing near their pre-commercial success.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

brandonbauer87's picture

In their case, I can't blame them too much. If they want to chase the dollar, I won't hold that against them. I have a much bigger problem with a band like Linkin Park. Their original style was commercially successful, yet they still felt the need to change. 

Smanpoint10's picture

Just saw them in snowshoe, wv for free lol

RedStorm45's picture

Same!  Well...minus the lodging cost haha

Buckeyeneer's picture

Yeah, last time I saw them was at a free show in Louisville, KY the night before the Kentucky Derby. It was a good show but much more pop-centric than the early 2000s version. For me and the sake of nostalgia, a perfect OAR show is at Newport Music Hall and opened by Red Wanting Blue.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Buddy owes me, so I've got a ticket for tomorrow night now.