Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Chris Matthews to be the 2014 Spring Commencement Speaker

Gray Box's picture
March 27, 2014 at 11:29pm
22 Comments

2014 Spring Commencement Speaker: 

William's picture

This is pretty meh, if you ask me. Of course, it's tough to follow after the POTUS. 

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Booooooooooooooo to Mr. Thrill Up My Leg

Northbrook's picture

Good choice. Sharp guy.

-2 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

I think you forgot italics

+5 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Whatever.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+2 HS
73buckeye's picture

Wow, what a proud day for the spring graduates. Setting off into the cold cruel real world with words of wisdom from Chris Matthews ringing in their ears. I wonder who made that choice and why? There will be more people in the shoe than watch him on CNN.

ernie

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Not to be that guy but this was already posted and discussed on here...

+2 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Yes, and the post was removed by management...must have been for all the support of this 'great selection'.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TheBadOwl's picture

It was removed for the same reasons that the discussion thread about Obama last year was removed - because people got really stupid and immature and freaked out about a freaking commencement speaker's political leanings.

We already know what the speech is going to be, more or less. Every commencement speech ever can be summed up like this:

"You have so much awesome stuff ahead of you in life, the future is bright because of your generation, you guys will change the world for the better, let me tell you about my post-college years, you're lucky to graduate from such an incredible institution, and you've all met friends here who will be with you for the rest of your lives.

Commencement speeches never get political, and as a huge public institution in a swing state, you know that Ohio State won't tolerate any sort of political slant. 

This is much ado about nothing–Ohio State isn't showing off some political agenda, and we're definitely not a university run by boneheads who HATE UR FREEDOMZ. This is just a bunch of people making a fuss because they dislike Chris Matthews' political ideology. A lot of these are the same people who made the Obama thread last year into such a train wreck.

And before you claim that I, too, hate your freedomz, I'd like to politely remind you that within the past decade or so, Ohio State has also had George W. Bush, John McCain and John Boehner deliver commencement addresses. And I'm sure that people were jackasses about those selections as well. Doesn't mean that they weren't good speakers.

"But BadOwl, those people are politicians, and Chris Matthews is a pundit!!!!"

True, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a great coming-of-age story to tell. Dude came to DC in the early 70's and worked as a cop, then joined the Peace Corps and spent two years in Southeastern Africa, then came back to America and continued his political career. He was the chief of staff for the Democratic Speaker of the House during the Reagan years. Imagine a less cool version of Stamper from House of Cards, basically.

His speech will likely have a lot to do with his time as Tip O'Neill's chief of staff, and I'm sure he'll talk about his Peace Corps experience and his failed Congressional campaign in the 70's. Which will sound something like this:

• "You have to work with people you dislike. You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish"
  • "Travel the world, experience different cultures."
  • "Sometimes you have to fail to succeed"

This is going to be another cliche commencement address. This is not going to be political whatsoever. Like it or not, he's qualified to be our commencement speaker, and the drama surrounding this is really, really stupid.

And yes, it would be equally stupid if Hannity or O'Reilly had been chosen.

Let's just all agree that Michigan still sucks and commencement speakers really don't matter.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
krodawg's picture

Solid post BadOwl.

-1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

If I could up vote you thousand times, I would. Even if you don't like Chris Matthews, he's very smart and has a lot of life experience. Ohio will always be middle of the road politically, but apparently some want to silence those they don't agree with. I would listen to Bush, Beohner, and McCain. While I dislike their politics, they are not making political speeches. 

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The thing is, some people would get legitimately pissed off at you for saying that Chris Matthews is smart, simply because they disagree with his politics.

Obama graduated from Columbia and Harvard, and Bush graduated from Yale, but a lot of people think that they're dumbasses. Calling somebody stupid simply because you disagree with their politics is incredibly immature.

My parents are very conservative, and my older sister is graduating this year. My mom told me that she's bringing her iPod to the ceremony this year because she hates Chris Matthews. Her daughter is graduating and she's going to completely ignore the speech because of politics that are completely unrelated to the speech. I don't really know how to tell her just how much that pisses me off.

And the worst part is that I'm sure my mother isn't going to be the only parent who prioritizes trivial political bullshit over the actual ceremony.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Very well put, Owl.

-2 HS
BassDropper's picture

I'm a little salty Obama won't be speaking when I graduate from OSU. I'm jealous of the 2013 class that they got to hear one of my favorite Presidents of all time speak.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Now what most on here have been speculating for awhile is crystal clear: you are ​definitely on drugs or something.

-3 HS
rbesr's picture

Of all times for my son to be graduating! Looks like my wife and I will have our earplugs with us.

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

It's kind of funny that you posed this right as I was typing my comment. I get that you (and quite a few others) aren't fond of Matthews, but is this really that big of a deal? It's just a graduation speech.

mh277907's picture

Just curious- if I or anyone else for that matter is not happy with commencement speaker choice, am I automatically a part of the "hate our freedomz" crowd you eloquently spoke of earlier (in my opinion you missed a great opportunity to label us as the "they took our jobs" crowd from the classic South Park episode)? Now, I am in no way inciting people to stage a walk out on graduation day but I don't see anything wrong with people being upset with the choice. For the record, I would have felt shafted if Rachel Maddow, Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh were chosen. In today's political world of dissent and debate name call, I would much rather have enjoyed a famous author or scientist rather than a political pundit. Ultimately, you are right, though. It's just a speech and my ears and mind would be open. I would just rather listen to someone who I looked up to.

buckeyebobcat

TheBadOwl's picture

I agree that Matthews isn't the best choice, but it's tough to get incredible speakers every year. I was hoping for Michael J. Fox or Jon Stewart or Jimmy Fallon, someone like that, but I think that the people acting as if they have been personally attacked by Ohio State over the choice of Matthews are horribly overreacting.

Disagree with his politics? You have every right to. But deciding to completely ignore the speech entirely seems kind of immature to me, especially when it's not going to be political whatsoever. People are making this into way too big of a deal.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Brian Williams spoke at my graduation. I dont think I even knew who he was prior to that. Obviously I wasnt super excited about the choice BUT I was super excited that I WAS GRADUATING COLLEGE. Brian Williams ended up giving a really good speech. And at the end of the day, I was a graduate from The Ohio State University...I dont care if it was GW Bush, Obama, Joseph Stalin or Chris Matthews...I was and always will be proud as hell. Who really gives a sh!t about the speaker. If you or your child are at that commencement, of all the things to bitch about in life, if the speaker at your college graduation is that big of an issue - you probably aren't going to be happy with much in life...

+2 HS