Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Mirror Lake Makeover

RBuck's picture
March 26, 2014 at 1:22pm
34 Comments
TMac's picture

Mirror Lake Hot Tub was rejected?

+1 HS
hodge's picture

If they combined it with option one, they could create a veritable "Hot Tub Time Machine", no?

I kill me.

+3 HS
hodge's picture

I'll take the first option, if you please.  I always thought the old Mirror Lake was way radder.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Agreed. The first proposal looks like a real winner to me.

DannyBeane's picture

I want an island and a bridge. That would be bad ass!

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

The grassy park idea along with the island would be pretty swell. Can't they combine at least two of these ideas?

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Some thought should probably be given to kids getting their mirror lake on from the bridge. I like the idea, but given the recent push for safety at the jump, it doesn't make sense. 

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Nah, you just close the bridge for the jump. That's easy - you can secure a footbridge a lot easier than you can the entire lake.

brandonbauer87's picture

Just like they closed off the lake and tried to regulate entrance last year? Unless you put armed guards on the bridge, kids will jump from it. 

AndyVance's picture

The problem with the attempts to secure the entire lake was that they used temporary contractor fencing around an extremely large (relatively speaking) perimeter. That was basically asking to have the kids storm the lake. If they can keep 'em from tearing down the goalposts, they'll be able to keep them off the bridge.

brandonbauer87's picture

I don't disagree with that. I just don't know if they care to put in the same amount of effort. 

AndyVance's picture

Time will tell, I suppose...

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

They keep the goal posts from being torn down by surrounding them with a platoon of police officers. Is that really a good solution for the jump?

AndyVance's picture

Specific to keeping students from jumping off the proposed footbridge, it may be the only option. I'm not proposing they interfere with the jump, but the distinguished gentleman has a point about the bridge perhaps exacerbating safety concerns relative to the jump...

+1 HS

We're all in the same ballpark. What are some of the potential consequences of adding a bridge & island and are they worth the trouble...

AndyVance's picture

Yes. I want the bridge and the island, so if they have to roust the 101st Airborne for the jump, so be it ;)

+1 HS

But why? The amount of support here to radically change what has become an icon of the Ohio State college experience is actually a bit surprising to me.

AndyVance's picture

Hmmmm... Good question, now that you put it that way. I guess on the one hand I don't want it to change from the way I remember it 12-13 years ago, but on the other hand, if it seems that change is coming regardless, the "throwback" version of the three options presented was the most appealing. I'm not sure I can say why, exactly, but I did agree with one student commenting at The Lantern that I would not be in favor of a bunch more concrete in that space, as the "plaza" theme seemed to espouse.

+1 HS

Oh I think everyone can agree that turning it into a concrete skate park would be horrifying.

+1 HS
jedkat's picture

I see only one clear solution. Draw Bridge time!

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

+3 HS

lol That might be a tad overkill.

On the issue of concrete...one idea that might be worthwhile is extending Browning Amphitheater to a full 180 degrees, which would also orient it towards the lake.

Edit: Looking at the proposals more closely I'm thinking a combination of #1 & #2 might be nice. Extend the lake farther to the east & extend the bridge across like in #1 but omit the island. Keeping the current outline of the western portion of the lake would preserve the traditional feel.

hit_the_couch's picture

That gives people like me more of an excuse to climb and jump from.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Buckeyeneer's picture

Number 1 please.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

William's picture

My favorite picture of Ohio State's campus is an old picture of students skating on Mirror Lake during winter. I'd definitely go with the first option. 

+8 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I'm not really much of a fan of the "concrete plaza" idea. That would change the character of the area way too much and detract from the lake.

Since I assume the status quo is not one of the options, I guess I could go along with #1. That seems to be the trend in the campus area (thinking here of all the work on the Olentangy).

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

It almost seems like option 1 is light years ahead of the others and thats a remake from the 1800's? I cant see any way possible option 1 doesnt win in a vote unless of course its a rigged election.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

The other way to look at it is that No. 1 is supposed to win, and the other two entries are intentional duds.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Number 1 is so obvious it shouldn't even be up for debate.

+1 HS

This might of interest to some...

The OSU Mirror Lake Hollow - John H. Herrick, Executive Director Emeritus Campus Planning - July 16, 1984

Many Ohio State University students over the years have left the campus with fond memories of Mirror Lake and the Hollow. Older graduates will also recall with pleasure the spring which once fed the lake. These nostalgic feelings are shared by many residents and former residents of the community.

This memorandum is written to relate the history of the development of the lake, the spring, and the ravine, and to record some of the activities and events that have occurred there over the years.

There are a number of diagrams showing the evolution of the lake's shape over the years.

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

That was one helluva long but very cool read. Thanks for the link.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

DannyBeane's picture

I hope they go with a more classic design. I am sick of all the futuristic post modern buildings. My favorite buildings on campus are the ones that look like old castles. Specifically Orton Hall. I used to spend my lunches between class hanging out on the steps or walking through the museum. We need more Orton Halls.

Go1Bucks's picture

1 and 3 

Go Bucks!