Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Tressel's CV for Akron Job

BucksfanXC's picture
March 26, 2014 at 11:19am
16 Comments
Squirrel Master's picture

Tressel lied on his resume, he never coached at Ohio State!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I don't think he's embellishing there. I seem to recall hearing former Assistant AD for finance Ben Jay telling a grad class I took on higher ed policy that each head coach was responsible for their program's budget, in conjunction with the assistant AD responsible for their program. I don't have that chapter and verse accurate, probably (working memory from a grad class three years ago...), but I'd say he had some significant input on how his program was managed.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I was just shocked by it. Makes some sense he would have input, but I guess ultimate control would be a surprise to me and I'm sure he has AD input/consultation in there and you don't put that on a resume if it's the case. I guess it makes sense, just surprised me.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

AndyVance's picture

Yep. People at the Deadspin post are making much ado about the dozen or so pages of his CV, but for those not familiar with academic resumes, that isn't unusual. Professors will often list every damn class they've ever taught...

BucksfanXC's picture

I'm impressed he kept track of all those lectures and fundraisers. I'd list that too: "Kept track of or remembered at least 80% of my speaking appearances"

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+3 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

yeah, 15 pages is nothing. I have seen full professors have a 40 page CV and they list awards that might as well read like this, "a 5th grade class once said I was #1".

It is a bit over the top but its how they verify their income and justify a pay increase or promotion. Faculty aren't just teachers, they have to show all the accomplishments they do as well as the course load they have. Especially tenured faculty because they have to provide research for funding. Even if they bring in $500, they show it!

I'm sure its the same for head coaches who have budgets and fundraising themselves.

I actually find it funny how writers from a blog make fun of an established coach who's accomplishments probably demolish said writers accomplishments. and I'm talking about the deadspin writer, not the above OP.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I have a good story to tell about Ben Jay! Haha he is cut throat!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

JakeBuckeye's picture

Deadspin is awesome, but is it not a little low to show his address and phone numbers like that?

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Akron is who really put it out there. Deadspin just linked it. I was surprised to see it out there not blacked out. I'd put "Available upon request" if I were Tress

+1 HS
ChicagoBuckeyeFan's picture

Looking at his bullet points of success at tOSU still is shocking. Man we had it good, Tress owned the B1G in the 2000s.

+3 HS
buckskin's picture

Tress would be a great fit for that job.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

19 candidates for the job.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

All but Tressel have a PHD

Whoa Nellie's picture

Betcha not too many of those PhD's interview as well as Tressel.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

From what I understand through a personal and close friend of Tressel - no one prepares and interviews better than JT.

hit_the_couch's picture

I don't know about other counties, but if one owns a house in Franklin County it is easily searchable on the auditor's site. It lists address, date purchased, property, sq footage and more.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!