Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Places to eat near the stadium?

buckeyeswift's picture
March 8, 2014 at 3:41pm
52 Comments

Hey guys I was trying to gather some ideas of where to eat after the spring game. I don't get to Columbus often so I'm not real familiar with the area. I was thinking Eddies. What is that like? Is the food good and how are the portion sizes?What are some other good places with a good value and good portion size? 

Thanks In Advance.

route4buckeye's picture

Eddie's is good. Thurman's, etc.

+1 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

Upvote for Eddie's. Thurman's is further from the stadium than this guy wants IMO

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

FitzBuck's picture

A Thurmanator is always worth the trip.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

-1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

Its a little bit further away, but Flying Pizza is amazing. I used to eat lunch there everyday when I was on campus.  

+2 HS
gumtape's picture

Flying pizza = awesome
Flying tomato= suck.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

Jabba the Hoke's picture

Flying Pizza is overrated imho.

buckeye4life050233's picture

Raising Cane's at High in between 14th and 15th

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

If 1st & High isn't too far for you then I'd definitely recommend Melt, they even have a parking garage right behind the restaurant

Class of '16

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Blue Danube is worth the distance.  You can walk in Woody's foot step's. 

hetuck's picture

Tommy's for pizza or subs.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+5 HS
gumtape's picture

I am going to add another vote here. The pepperoni they use curls up on the edges and forms little bowls of grease. I would go there first if I was back on campus.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+3 HS
hetuck's picture

That pepperoni is made by former Buckeye Billy Ezzo on the south side of Columbus. It is regarded as one of the best pepperonis in the nation. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

You just made me hungry for a Tommy's sub. But I'll go for Rubino's in Bexley or Plank's on Parsons for pizza.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Wilkins78's picture

Man I miss this place.  Worked there my last couple years at OSU and the pizza and subs ruined most others for me.

Urban Nation Army's picture

Go to Canes if you want cheap greasy food. There's a Buffalo Wild Wings on Lane if you want something predictable. I would personally strongly endorse Eddie George's. Get the fried pretzels as an appetizer.

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+4 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Eddie George's is very solid; basically "higher end" bar food.  Blue Danube is good.  Obviously Buckeye Donuts is a great place to get both a gyro and a donut (or five).  Tommy's has good pizza, probably the best on campus, and they have plenty of seating.  I haven't been back to ole Columbus town for about a year; so I don't know if there is anything new or if Cazuela's has been fixed up after the fire.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+3 HS
faux_maestro's picture

Buckeye Donuts: buy 4 get 1 free. Love me some apple fritters, bismarcks, and custard filled.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Does Buckeye Donuts still smell like cigarettes? I made some cash off of a photography project so the last day of recitation, I bought my class some donuts from there and picked up a chocolate milk with it. The milk tasted like cigarettes. I didn't know that could happen. That will forever be my lasting vision of Buckeye Donuts.

willshire58's picture

I can report that in my 6 years(and still going) around the campus, Buckeye Donuts has never smelled like cigarettes. Best gyros on campus IMO and the donuts are good too.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

That was back in winter quarter of '03, so the smoking ban wasn't in place yet I believe. I think that was another year or two away at that point but I ventured in for a donut here and there for a couple years after the ban and it always had that tinge of cigarette smoke smell.

And good job on the 6 years! It took me 5.5 years to get through. Sort of what happens when you switch from architecture to art and end up with a freshman year of classes that didn't really mean anything. I ended up with a year of unusable credit hours when I graduated.

willshire58's picture

I graduated in 5 years, but got a job in Cbus and still live with some guys that are enrolled so I haven't left the area. I wish I was still going.

OvalBeachBum's picture

I currently live less than a block from Buckeye Donuts, and I can say with 100% confidence (and I go there way more than I care to admit) that nothing I have ever gotten there has smelled like cigarettes, nor does the inside smell like cigarettes.  I highly recommend them.

"In the words of the late great Colonel Sanders, I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Chief B1G Dump's picture

STREET MEAT!
I kid.

Walk east down Lane...when you get to High St turn right...keep going south until you see something you want.

+1 HS
UserCorch's picture

Street meat is delicious. Don't be a silly sally.

Ericgobucks's picture

Also Hounddog's Pizza is pretty good, definitely worth a trip, it's a bit of a ride on North High Street, though. 

+2 HS
Ashtabula's picture

It might be a little bit of a dive, but I drag my two boys there every time I'm in town.  Love their garlic crust with spicy sauce.

Knarcisi's picture

Planks Cafe on Parsons south of downtown. My favorite pizza on the planet. 

One Bad Buckeye's picture

Pharaohs pizza is one of the cities best kept secret pizza places.....try their ham and chicken pizza or spinach, feta and chicken pizza.  Mmmmm.  

Planks is awesome, but pretty far from the shoe.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

The Crest is also pretty good, you can try Nancy's, Wildflower, Mozarts (although, they're pretty far north now same goes for North Star), Harvest just opened where Mozarts used to be, El Vaquero isn't too far, Las Palmas is a decent mexican restaurant and is close to other restaurants like Giorgio, Mama Mimi's, and Gatto's Pizza.  Lots of good places north of campus....also if you've never been to Alana's you're missing out.  

Agree with others too, you can't go wrong with Adriaticos, Tommy's, Eddie Georges, Cazuelas, Hound Dogs, Buckeye Doughnuts, etc.  If you're looking for more upscale go south on high street towards the snort short north....you'll find lots of awesome places that make columbus unique.  

EDIT: The double post strikes again!!!! Sorry guys!

Go1Bucks's picture

Gotta vote for the hidden gem:

Mama's Pasta and Brew

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I also second Mama's Pasta and Brew. Just the fact that its in a seedy alley makes it one of my favorite joints but it really is more of a bar than a restaurant. Honestly after 10 years in Columbus my favorite place near campus is still probably Apollo's for Gyros. If you want the OSU pizza experience then Adriatico's, Catfish Biffs, and the Legendary Hound dogs will get the job done. Another one of my favorite restaurants is Mad Mex. I'm all about the shrimp mushroom and spicy spinach burrito. They also have a fantastic beer selection and their mexican brownies are amazeballs.

Floyd Stahl's picture

Adriaticos pizza on 11th across from the South Campus dorms. Amazing calzones.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

...and horrible heartburn.

buckeyeswift's picture

Thanks guys We are probably going to go with Eddies...Has anyone tried Milestone 229?

"We're from O-HI-O"

buckguy10's picture

Milestone 229 is solid. They have a great brunch menu. I think they are owned by the same people that run Columbus Brewing Company (the restaurant not the brewery) so if you are familiar with CBC, the food/prices are very similar.

hawkins.326's picture

I'll throw out a vote for Bakersfield. Was back in town a couple weeks ago, and although it's a bit of a ride down to Short North, the whiskey/tequila/tacos combo is definitely worth it.

ScarletGray43157's picture

Head a little bit west on Lane Avenue to the edge of Upper Arlington at 1350 West Lane and stop at Tommy's Pizza.  If you don't want to go that far west on Lane, Tommy's has a smaller location at 174 West Lane on campus.  Get the pizza.  Excellent crust, very unique.  

In old Ohio there's a team that's known throughout the land...

+1 HS
dcbucks's picture

Thirsty Scholar, free popcorn. 

+1 HS
PAWEST1202's picture

Oh the Thirsty Scholar. 1 dollar wells on weekdays made going to my business capstone course so much more entertaining

PAWEST1202's picture

I never go to campus without a visit to Chipotle. Also there are a handful of restaurants in the Union that are pretty good particularly Sloopy's Diner and Woody's Tavern

InTressITrust's picture

With all the good local places to go go, you have to make a stop at a very common chain restaurant?

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What's the infatuation with Chipotle?

+2 HS
PAWEST1202's picture

It's not common where I live. Even though Chipotle is a national chain, I didn't have it in St. Louis when I was growing up and now I live overseas. Going to Chipotle takes me all the way back to Freshman year in Park Hall

PAWEST1202's picture

It's not common where I live. Even though Chipotle is a national chain, I didn't have it in St. Louis when I was growing up and now I live overseas. Going to Chipotle takes me all the way back to Freshman year in Park Hall

cinserious's picture

If you're in the mood for BBQ, check out Ray Ray's Hogpit on N.High St. between North Campus and Clintonville. Its only a street trailer but it's second to none when it comes to BBQ in the whole state. Loyal cult following in Columbus. I'm a ribs guy but the locals freak out over the grass-fed beef brisket. Wins awards every year for top BBQ in Columbus.

Location: a few blocks north of Hudson in a lot behind the Ace Of Cups bar. (only open Fri/Sat/Sun)

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
Mercurius's picture

Ray Ray's is your best bet for great food. I also like Mya's Southern Fried Chicken.

willshire58's picture

Piada's is a pretty new, local chain. It's like an Italian Chipotle where you can get a good sized bowl of pasta with whatever you want in it, or you can get it in a wrap. The Piada Sticks are also excellent. The closest one to campus is West on Lane, almost to Upper Arlington. It's on the edge of West Campus.

-1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

When I was an undergrad we pounded Chipotle before every game, was more tradition than anything else (and my friends would sneak them inside their jeans).

Now when i go back it's whatever, but I'm a fan of Charlie's for cheesesteaks and amazing fries.  I always thought they were underrated (eat it at the airport when I got back sometimes too)

FitzBuck's picture

Skyline 

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+1 HS
andretolstoy's picture

How you guys not goin' to mention Easy Living?

Blastphemy!

Ethos's picture

Haven't been in a while, but last time I was in cbus with good weather the new bdubs with the outside upper deck was nice.  Good views of the ladies walking by and decent wings of course.  Though Tommy's is great along with Charlies cheesteaks.  Though Eddies is a good choice man, you may even see George as he typically stops by there on game days.

"What do you need water for, Sunshine?!" - Coach Coombs, if you don't love this man, you have no soul.