Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Favorite Nintendo games?

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
March 1, 2014 at 7:13pm
91 Comments

Hey 11W guys & girls, 

Wondering if you could help me remember some classic 80s Nintendo NES games.

Thinking about buying an old NES system on eBay, along with some cool games for a family member.

I can't remember all of the classics, but I'm thinking:

Pro Wrestling, Blades of Steel, Super Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Basketball, Gun Smoke, Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, & 3, Excitebike, Jackal, Rad Racing, Spy Hunter, Mega Man, 10 Yard Fight.

What were your favorite classic video games?

Thanks!

Winfield 11's picture

Russian attack!!!

"We've always had The best damn band in the land...Now we have the best team in the land"...The "Senator"

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Connecting the past and present with that one.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I thought it was "Rush 'N Attack"...

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

Final Fantasy, Punchout, Battletoads, Bubble Bobble, and Metroid on top of some you mentioned.

Really, anything but Ninja Gaiden. @#$^

+2 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Yeah, Zelda, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mario games and Metroid, of course. But some underrated gems: Blaster Master, Rygar, Solomons Key, Super Bump n Jump.

+1 HS
Bailey458's picture

Not all Megaman games are created equal, but all are good.  Megaman 2 was by far my favorite, mainly because of the Flash Man and Metal Man theme music.  I used to turn on that game and pause it on Flash Man's screen all the time and just listen to that song.  Hypnotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsW3oYwD2oM

My friends and I always used to play California Games too.  So many great games tough to name them all.

By the way would suggest you buy the system at a local used video game store, old NES could be pretty touchy, I've found only the original owner was 100% able to start it up.  If you buy it at a store at least you can test it out or take it back.

+1 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

Turok on the N64,, especially when you and 3 other friends could play each other in Death Matches. Loved using the "Cerebral Bore" to kill someone. Good times.

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+2 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

Killer Instinct

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

Just a few of my favs that haven't been mentioned yet: Contra, Jordan Vs. Bird, Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rampage, Tetris, R.C. Pro-Am, T&C Surf Design, Battletoads, Super Sprint, Ghosts'n Goblins, and Duck Hunt (a lot of people didn't realize that you could control the birds with the second controller). Click here for a full list of NES games.

+3 HS
Bailey458's picture

Birds? In Duck Hunt? Ha, I know what you meant, but I definitely never knew you could control the birds with the second controller, guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

brandonbauer87's picture

You took two of my suggestions with Jordan vs. Bird and R.C. Pro-am. I think we just became best friends. 

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Gray box hit on the best racing game RC PRO am.... it is a must have.

Mike Tyson's Punchout 

Super Mario 3

Ninja Gaden

Little Nemo the dream master (trust me it's fun)

top gun (landing on the aircraft carrier makes this game)

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Top Gun was the source of great frustration as a kid. That game was ahead of its time. 

+2 HS
JTACbuckeye's picture

Cobra Triangle

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I honestly don't think you can ever go wrong with Mario Brothers - My dad is 77 years old and still plays occaisionally

+3 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

It's a sega game but when I was a kid I was obsessed with Kid Chameleon.

They show the first couple levels (taking me back!) in the video but if you watch the first minute you can see the hilarious backstory to the game. Coolest part about this game was there were SOOOOOOO many levels.

Football is complicated...

brandonbauer87's picture

On top of all the above recommendations, I suggest Mighty Bomb Jack. 

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

super doge ball 

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
Kid Gloves's picture

These bring back so many good memories

+3 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Battle Toads (which was impossible to beat), River City Ransom and Double Dragon II.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
sharks's picture

See my profile pic.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Sharks - you know you can never be a Bucks Changing Icon on Friday guy ---- right?

fansince1968's picture

I Loved the "Wall $treet Kid" and "The ChessMaster"

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

We would have never ending Baseball Stars tournaments in the barracks.

+2 HS
thePhilipJFry's picture

Best video game I've ever owned.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Baseball Stars was great in part because it was one of the first (if not the first) sports games to have battery backup and a memory chip so that you could save created players and teams.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Alpo's picture

Double Dragon and Contra were classics. Dragon warrior was clutch. 

VintonCountyBuck's picture

I used to love playing Contra..especially after I learned the whole Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, Select , Start thing.  

Tecmo Bowl is classic.  And how about Double Dribble?  Loved that game!

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+2 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I could be wrong but wasn't it up,up,down,down......?

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

WrightBuckeye's picture

Donkey Kong Country! 

+1 HS
thirtytrap's picture

Techmo Bowl and Blades of Steel.

+2 HS
edr4225's picture

jordan vs. Bird nes

lets go bucks!!

Buckeyevstheworld's picture
The original NES?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I kept my original NES and a handful of games from the mid 80's. I am actually playing The Adventures of Link right now. About once a year I break it out and play it just for nostalgia. I stopped playing video games after the Super NES. They just became too complicated and i worked hard to get a good job not be the champion of Playstation.  

KingsRite's picture

Castlevania and Kid Icarus.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

KingsRite's picture

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

AngryWoody's picture

50% chance it wont work right. Do what I do and save yourself the time and hassle and get a snes emulator. 100% free and you can play all of the games you love without paying a penny.

http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nes/

Our Honor Defend!

hit_the_couch's picture

I still have my NES and about 100 games. There were complicated techniques to get it to work like blowing on the games and inserting them in the system just right. I will be disappointed if you don't remember how to do such fixes. 

I didn't know there was an emulator; that's nice.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

UrbanCulture's picture

Zelda: a link to the past remains my favorite video game of all time 

Chief B1G Dump's picture

You guys nailed most of them...
The only ones I would add that werent already mentioned are RBI Baseball, Goal, Baseball Simulator 1000, Blades of Steel, Caveman Games, DuckTales, Rampage, Ice Hockey, Karate Kid, Marble Madness, Skate or Die, Track and Field, Top Gun and World Games.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Caveman Games was classic .... grab your wife by her hair, spring around in circles, and see how far you could throw her...

Buckeyeneer's picture

They just released an updated version of DuckTales on the PS3 a couple of months ago. It has the feel of the original but with updated graphics. It even has the voice actors from the show doing all the voices.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

JohnnyKozmo's picture

I saw Contra listed, and I have always enjoyed Super Contra as well-After reading this, may have to make an attic run and hook the NES up.  Especially to control the Ducks in Duck Hunt-never knew about that.  Super Sprint (which never ended), BattleToads (impossible), Ninja Turtles (arcade version-original was tough on the bomb dismantling underwater stage).

Super Tecmo Bowl was also a favorite, it was mind boggling to have 8 plays to pick from on offense instead of just 4.  

WIfe is a huge Paper Boy fan, me, not so much.

Silkworm is my favorite obscure game.  Two players-one was a Jeep with a gun, the other was a helicopter, fighting on the same side.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I'm glad someone mentioned Battletoads.  It was a fun game, but there wasn't a kid in the world beating that game.  The hovercraft/hoverboard race level was impossible to beat as far as I'm concerned.  Things got going so fast you couldn't even see what was going on after awhile.  Back in the days when your parents would let you rent a game Friday after school to return on Sunday afternoon, renting Battletoads was terrible because you'd be completely stuck by the time you went to bed on Friday night.....still bitter.

hit_the_couch's picture

There was a warpzone in front of one of the barriers to use for people that had trouble. I had the Game Genie and still had trouble beating the whole game though. I think there was a better shot at beating Master Blaster which was also impossible.

Crimson's picture

When I was a kid, it was really hard to get past the first three levels.  However, after growing up, I could get to level 6 (Snake Pit) pretty easily.  I think I've only gotten past it once, but if you search for a video walkthrough, some people (and computer programs) are amazing.  I might try to beat it one day, maybe after I retire.

Remy's picture

Some games that have not been mentioned:

Games that I played: Zelda, Link, Baseball Stars, Blades of Steel, Super Mario Bros., SMB 2, SMB 3, Castlevania, Simon's Quest, Castlevania III, Solomon's Key, Ninja Gaiden, Tetris, Tecmo Bowl and John Elway's Football.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Jackel may be one of the hardest games I ever beat. Games today tell a story and the developers want you to get through it (Except Dark Soul/Demon Soul). Old game were a test of endurance and perseverance.

+1 HS
Winfield 11's picture

OMG...Is the game on top Double Dragon? If not, what game is it because I LOVED that game but its been so long??

"We've always had The best damn band in the land...Now we have the best team in the land"...The "Senator"

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

.Is the game on top Double Dragon? 

No, it's Kung Fu.

AcrossTheField11's picture

1a.) Mario 64 (N64)

1b.) Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES)

3.) 007 - Goldeneye (N64)

4.) Markio Kart 64 (N64)

5.) The Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

Special Mention: Ken Griffey Jr Major League Baseball (SNES), Donkey Kong Kountry (SNES), Mega Man X (SNES), NFL BLITZ (N64), Mega Man X (SNES), Star Fox (SNES)

Time and change will surely show how firm they friendship... O-HI-O.

PittBuckeye's picture

Not a single 80's game in the bunch.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

And the thread is NES games, not SNES.  

Griffey Baseball was the bomb though.  

OSUpawn's picture

Oh the hours I spent playing Goldeneye and Mario Kart..... And the 120 stars for Mario 64 was a little time consuming

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

Buck Commander's picture

Double Dribble was the BOMB Of all basketball games for It's time......as well as Bases Loaded.

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I know it's been mentioned, but Mario 3 has to be the greatest game ever created for the original NES - I spent so many hours of my life lost in that game.  Also, there was an old Nintendo Power magazine that gave you all the secrets in Mario 3.....so many things you'd never know where there without that magazine - really ahead of its time.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Super Dodgeball, Ice Hockey, River City Ransom and many others people mentioned above.

9Route's picture

Gun.Smoke

I'm just happy to be here

+2 HS
edr4225's picture

any sega fans   quackshot was the game

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Wow so many good games and memories in this thread.

My top NES titles were:

Final Fantasy (2 and 3 also if we're including japanese titles)
Dragon Warrior
River City Ransom
Legacy of the Wizard
Metroid
Zelda 1 and 2
SMB 2 and 3
Contra
Dynasty of an Emporer
Mystery Quest

Honorable mention to Battletoads (surely I'm not the only person who ever beat that game?)

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

as mentioned Ninja Gaiden (NES) was addictive 

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
dancinhomer321's picture

Baseball stars (ninja black sox all day)
base wars (robot players)
Contra
castlevania
super dodge ball.....and volleyball
any Zelda game
duck tales
any simpsons game
ninja turtles
commando

Buckeye 4 Life!

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Ninja Black Sox is right.  They were fast enough that you could repeatedly run between the bases until the computer made a throwing error.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

PittBuckeye's picture

I saw this way too late, all the ones I'd throw out have been mentioned. Megaman 2 was one of my favorites ever though.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Ok so this is the 4th or 5th time checking this thread, and with the storm heading towards us in the east, i'm thinking i definitely need to go and grab my NES and get her warmed up.  

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

up up down down left right left right b a b a select select start.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Just remembered Ikari Warriors with its unlimited lives code. Life Force was the other game that I loved besides Contra that used the Konami code.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Castlevania,Mega Man 1-9,Ninja Gaiden,Bionic commando,so many activities to choose from.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Son of Sevenless's picture

Ghosts 'n Goblins. One tough game.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - nearly impossible

cinserious's picture

For me it was Contra, Double Dragon, and Golden Axe  that got the heaviest rotation.

Anybody remember a game called NARC?

Gone ham, be back soon...

dc28's picture

Baseball Stars.

Ikari Warriors

Contra

Tecmo Bowl

Double Dribble

Mike Tyson Punch Out

T&C Surf Designs

Double Dragon

Track N Field

AngryWoody's picture

http://nesbox.com/game nes and snes games for free and all in your browser. No downloads.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Holy cow! Good find!

Our Honor Defend!

shaggybuckeye's picture

I was wondering if anyone had posted this link yet.

Curt Heinrichs's picture

Have used this for a while. Spent way too much time playing Dragon Warrior. Couldn't beat it as a kid. Our NES died in college before we could beat it. Vengeance was mine. 

Unky Buck's picture

My favorite game ever. The Capcom 10 Year Anniversary Collection is quite possibly the greatest thing ever created. For the PS2 system, it has all of the released Mega Man 1-8 games plus 2 additional unreleased (at the time) games. I have Mega Man 9 on my Wii as well. And this is quite possibly my favorite 8-bit song ever created in a video game...

Jack Fu's picture

Bible Adventures.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Wasn't that one of the knockoff games without the "official Nintendo seal"? I think the cartridge was light blue.

Jack Fu's picture

I have no idea; I've just read about how terrible it was

Unky Buck's picture

Man, there are so many. The Mega Man series tops it for me, especially Mega Man 2, but Super Mario Bros (particularly 3), Ice Hockey (going all fat guys), Super Dodgeball, Zelda, Punch Out, Contra (up up down down left right left right b a b a start, or select start for 2 players), Kung Fu, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Super Bowl, Double Dragon, Dr. Mario, Tetris...man this list could go on forever...were all played quite a bit growing up.

1MechEng's picture

Pro Wrestling FTW!

I loved Giant Panther and his "Iron Claw" so much, I made this move my "signature move" against my kids when we wrestle now.

Buckeyeneer's picture

I found this a year ago but it is very appropriate for the topic. It is a game that is a parody of many classic NES games. The hero is Abobo, a villain from Double Dragon.

http://abobosbigadventure.com/fullgame.php

Curt Heinrichs's picture

As far as 80's games, I was partial to Tecmo Super Bowl (was that in the 80's?). It was cheating to be the Raiders and run the ball with Bo. My dad couldn't really explain to tiny me why Bernie Kosar was known as QB #19 or Browns QB or something. 

HomeBrewed's picture

Has no one mentioned Arch Rivals!? You could spend a lot of time with that and Blades of Steel, Excite Bike, Skate (or Ski) or Die, Super Spike Volleyball and World Cup Soccer

Clever Statement

jameslee203's picture
My fave all time

My all time fave, look out for the Generic Dudes.