Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Energy Companies in the US

Calgarybuck's picture
February 28, 2014 at 9:49am
17 Comments

Hey everyone,

I'm curious about energy opportunities in the states, Ohio or somewhere warm and was curious if there was any good companies you'd recommend?

I currently work for one of the largest electric companies in Canada in renewals/sales (new business)/retention and while it's been a great experience, i'm looking for new opportunities down south.

Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated! 

hit_the_couch's picture

AEP and Columbia Gas are evil.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

This isn't much farther south but North Dakota is BOOMING. My company just did work in Williston which was a 10,000 person town that is now 50,000 (all estimations) all in the span of a year or two. People working in the energy sector are getting paid a small fortune to work there. It may not be where you want to end up but you can make six figures there for a couple of years and manage to save some of it, it will put you on good footing going forward. Estimates say that they found reserves there that dwarf the current reserves found in Saudi Arabia.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
buckguy10's picture

Might be hard to save any as they currently have the highest rent prices in the country, topping NYC, LA and Wash DC.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/rent-city-williston-exceeds-ny-la-22539243

Run_Fido_Run's picture

From what I've gathered, it's a great opportunity for an unmarried guy in his twenties who doesn't mind having several roommates and eating Ramen noodles and whatnot, but a tough place for men with families (high cost-of-living and low quality of life). It's almost like a 21st century version of the old gold rush towns.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

An old gold rush town is exactly what it is. The Wal-Mart there has the highest sales of any in the country. They don't even unload their pallets that come off the truck. They just set the pallets in the aisles and people pull the stuff they want. They completely turnover everything in the store every single day. I think the McDonalds there is also has the highest sales/sf.

Like you suggested, if I were in my 20s and not well established I would definitely head there for a couple of years.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Isn't that the town where a 600 sq ft. apt is now like $2000 a month?

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Oyster's picture

You said Ohio and Warm in the same sentence.  I giggled.

+4 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

Rumor has it there's this big pipeline thingy emanating from somewhere up in Canada that might create some jobs in the US if it is allowed to follow Siri's directions to Louisiana, but it's just a rumor at this point.......

+3 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

Keystone XL Pipeline.  It may end up being just a rumor because so far the Obama Administration has made it pretty clear they are against it.  Who knows what will end up happening, though with all the railcar trouble lately (transporting the Canadian crude that Keystone XL would be moving) you'd have to think the chance is greater now it will go through.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I work in industrial sales and work with the energy industry.  Two segments that are booming right now are shale/gas drilling and wind power.  The major players ... Consol, AEP, Duke for Drilling and Nextera (Florida Power & Light), AEP, and Duke for Wind.  Also other major players and specific segment players like Nabors Drilling and others.  Aside from the Dakotas, Ohio/Pennsylvania/Texas all have pockets of shale that are being drilled at a high rate.  Once it is extracted, you can look to the Pipeline companies that Transport it.  Shell, Chevron, Kinder Morgan, Colonial Pipeline, Explorer Pipeline, and many many others.  Wind is not only in the Dakotas and Minnesota but also heavy in West Texas and Oklahoma.  There are also windfarms going into PA and WV.  Coal powered generation is dwindling, but the alternative energy markets are booming.  You won't have trouble finding work.  I can't speak to these companies and how they treat their employees, but my advice would be to leverage yourself and get what you need.  They need experienced workers.

+1 HS
LABuckeye's picture

If you want warm, there is no shortage of work in the energy industry to be found in California. This includes transmission (Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas & Electric, San Diego Gas & Electric) as well as renewables (Duke Energy, Iberdrola, BrightSource, etc.). Only the coastal towns and resort areas are expensive to live in. Inland property values are still way down and buying a house is pretty affordable right now. I will acknowledge that taxes are a little high.

causeicouldntgo43's picture

I believe all of the taxes one pays to reside in CA combine to create the highest tax burden of any state, even higher than NY. If you don't mind that, you will love it there (I did when I lived there, but that was a while ago).

LABuckeye's picture

You are probably correct. I think last year I basically worked for the state and federal governments for one third of the year. Regardless, if you want mild weather and enjoy outdoor activities, there is no better place in the country to be. You just have to be willing to pay for it.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

My brother-in-law works for AEP. He's paid very well and gets bonuses. He still complains. 

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Thanks for all the feedback, My job is primarily sales related in the retail sector (white collar ish) but would roll up my sleeve if it gave me the chance and more income...

buckeyedude's picture

Marathon Oil in Findlay, Ohio. They're expanding and probably looking for young talent.