Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

11W Babies Thread

BucksfanXC's picture
February 25, 2014 at 10:01am
83 Comments

Bringing back the babies thread on this, my daughter's 2nd birthday. (Does that mean I have to grant favors?) I liked this thread and want to see it come back to life over on the new site.

So post here if you have children you want to brag about, are expecting or trying to get pregnant. We can share stories, pictures (of the kids, not of the trying to get pregnant), complain (teething sucks) and celebrate together.

AndyVance's picture

Thanks for reincarnating this thread! The old forum thread had some really great kid pictures. My Little Tyke celebrates her first birthday tomorrow, and she's pretty much the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me. Congrats to all the recent parents here, and the expectant 11Dubbers anxiously awaiting the arrival of their own Little Tyke!

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Happy early Birthday to the little AndyVancette! Smash cake and special dresses. We had the party for my daughter last weekend and all the family from Ohio was up visiting. She finally gets the concept of presents now and so she was super excited to open each one, until it was open then she wanted the next one. It was adorable.

I was missing this thread and this morning when I was posting about my daughter's birthday on social media and thought I needed to do it here too and no better reason to fire this thread back up.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

My wife introduced me to the term "smashcake" the other night - I don't know why I'd never heard that before, because there's an awesome picture of me face-first in a smurf-blue cake when I was a little tyke myself.

I have to admit, I am shocked by how much I don't despise buying my little girl clothes (re: your mention of special dresses). When we go to Kohl's or some other random store for random household acquisitions, I actually enjoy finding cute stuff for the kid to wear. I'm sure that as these items increase in cost and her autonomy becomes a real thing in not-too-many years, my feelings will - evolve - but for now it's all part of the fun of being a Daddy.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I enjoy the clothes shopping to an extent right now too. I love to spoil her in any and every way right now. Walking by the section of Kohl's where they sell the thong underwear for 10yr olds already has me not looking forward to the not too distant future.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Big decision right now is what to get her for the bday present, right? We got my daughter a fish tank and what a great idea that was. We put it in her bedroom up on her dresser where she can see it but not reach it. She loves going to her room for naptime/bedtime now because she can see the fishies.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Thongs for 10-year-olds... thank you for giving my nightmares I don't need.

Fishtank... genius! You have redeemed yourself, friend.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

You'll need more than fish, Andy. Those nightmares can only be wiped away by shotgun shells . . .

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

No kidding. Thank goodness I have a case of those in the closet already.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

AndyVance: congrats, bro'! My little girl just turned three.

With your little girl getting closer to toddler-dom, I'll start a countdown on when she says her first, "no, Daddy!" to you and, more generally, when she starts bossing you around and otherwise running your house.

I know, I know . . . you're from the old school of discipline . . . . you'll never let that happen. You'll see.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Discipline... yeah, I've got to start reading that chapter in the manual soon, huh?

She's pretty amazing, and I can see how that "Daddy's Little Girl" thing could spell trouble for me trying to run a tight ship at The Vance Ranch. I'm already pretty much putty in her little hands, so... Wish me luck?

+2 HS
hodge's picture

Major props to all you Buckeye daddies and daddies-to-be.  You all have far more patience and discipline than I can ever imagine having.

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I never realized how much and how little patience I had until I had kids. They certainly give my resolve a workout.

+3 HS
acBuckeye's picture

My 5 year old son acts like he's Braxton when we're throwing the football outside all the time. However, his absolute favorite thing to do is to celebrate a "touchdown" just like Guapo did in that late-game jaunt against Illinois, complete with high-stepping and chest-thumping. I love it.

+3 HS
Sportpaco's picture

These are my four boys. I know they are getting bigger, but they are still my babies. As you can see, they are also huge Buckeye fans. Not too bad considering two of them were born in Michigan.

+17 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

That is awesome! Homemade Sousaphone? Nice work!

+3 HS
Sportpaco's picture

Thanks. Yes, the Brutus head and Sousaphone were both made at home. The Sousaphone actually played Hang On Sloopy and the OSU Fight Song. Needless to say, they cleaned up on candy when they went trick or treating.

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I would hand my candy over to your kids if I were a kid and saw them like this. It's remarkable. Props for sure. You're doing the world a favor raising the next generation right.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

I think I'd hand over my car keys to those kids if I saw them dressed like this. Wow, that is parent of the year stuff right there - GREAT job!

+8 HS
psibuck's picture

This is really fantastic on multiple levels.  Kudos on the 5-star parenting. 

+5 HS
BigDrill's picture

Well done! Mad props for the props you have!

Denny's picture

My daughter is seven weeks old and poses for pictures at what I think is at least a seven month old level. So that's good.

Taquitos.

+4 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

7 weeks, Congrats! Getting much sleep yet?

+1 HS
Denny's picture

You're funny.

Taquitos.

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Took my daughter til 14 months to sleep through the night. My son is 6 months and he's been sleeping through since probably a month or two. Getting a full night's sleep makes all the difference in the world. I thought pulling all-nighters for college and law school would have me prepared for kids, but one off night here and there is different from months of prolonged sleep deprivation.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Enjoy them while they are young. 

Time flys.........................

+2 HS
psibuck's picture

My wife and I just had our second boy on Friday.  A 3.5 year old and a 4 day old....our house currently resembles a cross between a Turkish bazaar and a three-ring circus. 

+6 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I'm a neat freak and the clean house was a big adjustment for me. I try to ignore a lot more than I used to, but occasionally I break down and start scrubbing splattered food off our walls, etc. Sometimes it calms me to clean a room or area. My daughter already tries to help out with small chores and I can't wait to put her to work folding laundry, vacuuming, etc. I'll do the same with my son, but he's farther off.

+2 HS
Ashtabula's picture

God bless you.  I remember everybody telling me how my life was going to change once I had a child.  And, they were right and it was dramatic, but fulfilling.  However, everybody neglected to tell me how crazy it would be with two children.  I would argue the jump from 1 to 2 children is as difficult as the jump from 0 to 1.  My two boys are now 8 and 3 and my life is as crazy as ever.

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I've heard everyone say 0 to 1 is a hard adjustment, 1 to 2 isn't as big, but 2 to 3 is bigger than 0 to 1 just because they out number the number of hands you have to hold them, etc. We stopped at 2 as my wife and I agreed we didn't want to be outnumbered.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

My son just turned 6 months & it's been amazing so far! Thanks for bringing this thread back - hope all the dads & Buckeye babies are doing well!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

My son just turned 6 months as well. It doesn't seem like it's been that long. Time flies.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Yeah - now that you mention it - I'm pretty sure I remember you having yours around the same time as mine from the old thread. Six months seems like both an eternity & a blink of the eye. Funny how that works huh? 

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
BUCKI06's picture

My little guy will be turning 2 in a few weeks - time definitely does fly.  

True Story:  About a month ago, we met Miss America when she was in Cincinnati doing some media/tv stuff for Children's Hospital.  My wife works for Children's, and she wanted my son and I to go along with her to this event since she had to be there.  So, we get introduced to Miss America.  We talk for a few minutes, and come to find out she's a michigan grad.  When I heard this, I turned to my son and said, "Cam, what do we think of michigan?".  His immediate response - "Booooooooo!"

Not many people can say they booed Miss America to her face - proud daddy right here!

"As long as we're keeping score, we're gonna try to win this thing." - UFM

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats 106 - cute story - does Cam have any scholarship offers yet - cause Urbs maybe on his way to your home with one in hand.

+3 HS
UrbanDreamz's picture

We welcomed our 2nd child on 2-9-2014.  Her name is Audrey Renee.

Audrey

"Twelve months ago on Jan. 9, my mom's birthday, I made the decision to come back. I had one goal in mind and that was to win a national championship."  ~Mike Doss

+20 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Congrats!

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I forget mine being this tiny and my son is only 6 months old. It goes so quickly and they grow so fast. I bet my son has doubled in size in the last month or two. Cherish it, enjoy them when they are like this.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

What type of sick SOB downvotes a baby?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
Ohioste's picture

Yep, glad this thread is back alive. My daughter just turned 6 months and looking forward to many many more...

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kids are the absolute best - our oldest is in college and our youngest is ten - wish he was 2 again

+5 HS
JollyFatMan's picture

Got two beautiful ladies.. Zoe and Harper. One is 2.5 and the other was boRN 9-30-13. I already have the older one doing O-H-I-O like a boss.

How firm thy friendship..

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

A future Buckeye Cheerleader for sure!!!!!!!!!!

+3 HS
rbesr's picture

I miss having little ones around the house. We have three boys that we couldn't be more proud of. They are far from being babies, however. The oldest is 36 and lives in Florida. He served in the Navy on boomers and now works for Electric Boat. The middle son is 33. He's worked hard to overcome several physical disabilities and lives a good life down along the Ohio River in West Virginia. The "baby" of the family is 23 and still lives with us. He graduates in the 'Shoe on May 4th.

Our oldest and his wife spent Christmas here and gave us the best present they could, though. Connor Bradley Evans is due the second week of June. He's our first grandchild. We have already spent a bloody fortune on Buckeye baby clothes and other assorted goodies for him. The spoiling begins!

+7 HS
Wilkins78's picture
8 more weeks till I get to meet my little Buckeye for the first time!  So excited.  Judging by how much she's moving in there, I imagine she'll come out ready for something like this:

+11 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I love Brutus but he looks like he is taking a few good licks from Sparty

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

flipbuckeye's picture

Technically 3 more weeks for my Buckeye baby to arrive, but we all have a gut feeling our baby girl to be an early enrollee. Somewhat nervous, but more excited than anything. Nursery is 95% done, car seat just arrived today and is going into the car this weekend, and we're pretty much set and just impatiently waiting.

Any sites for Buckeye gear you guys can recommend?

+5 HS
flipbuckeye's picture

One more for Buckeye Nation. Say hello to Layla Belle, born March 17th, 2014.

+8 HS
AndyVance's picture

Congrats Flip! She's adorable, and I love the name. Enjoy the days ahead - they FLY by!

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Congrats! Get some sleep when you can buddy!

+2 HS
southbymidwest's picture

Congratulations Flipbuckeye and wife! Layla Belle is soooooo cute!

+3 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

Actually the wife's water broke at 2am....just waiting for word to head to the hospital

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Good luck! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way for a smooth delivery.

+3 HS
flipbuckeye's picture

Good luck and hang in there. My wife's water broke 5:30 AM and didn't deliver until 9 AM the following day.

+1 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

Just an update.....false alarm last week, wife is tiring quickly of the wait as am I....anxious for my boy to get here.  Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part

+2 HS
flipbuckeye's picture

I feel you there. We had 3 false alarms all within a week. We got tired of constantly going into L&D with all our bags packed, so one day we spent the entire day walking around outside in an attempt to induce labor, and sure enough, by the next morning it was baby time. Not sure if it was just coincidence but it's worth a shot if you're really getting impatient. Good luck!

buckeyeboy31's picture

Eli Jackson was born last night at 1922, 7 lbs 6 oz sand 18 3/4".  I even got to gown up and essentially "catch" him on his way into the world.  What an awesome night

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats B-Boy31 enjoy them while they are young. 

Thank goodness you didn't fumble the shotgun snap!!

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

you'd think  the center would have wiped the ball...err baby off pre-snap..

Congrats!!!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Too Funny!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

This is great, I passively watched this thread on the old format as I knew the day would come soon enough, I never thought 11w would also provide a landing spot for me to dish on my newborn and get feedback from other buckeye fans.

The wife is 13 weeks pregnant with our first daughter.  I gotta say when I found out it was a healthy girl there was some disappointment at first not being a little guy but that was quickly replaced with unbridled joy.  Thanks all for starting, posting, and keeping this thread going.

October 2nd is my little girl's due date, sure hope she makes a timely entrance as to not jeopardize any buckeye games!

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

CONGRATULATIONS! Get ready for the roller coaster ride of your life, my friend. And I'll tell you what - I thought (prior to finding out that we were going to have a girl) that it was boy or bust for me, but I love this "daddy's little girl" stuff. My baby girl has most definitely got me wrapped around her little finger. She's amazing, and I'm sure you'll feel the same way when yours arrives, too. Good luck and many, many wonderful wishes to you and your wife!

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Also, AV, is too much to ask of you to quit smearing cow dung on the commodes in the premium lounge? I've tended those disasters well past my required time and lately it just smells like something that BVTW, Hove, and others just aren't capable of (i kid!)...

osu07asu10's picture

Thanks AV! For the next 6 months or so I know I'm going to go with the whole tough Dad, wish it was a boy front but I know she'll have me firmly wrapped around her finger from day 1 as well! I do know one thing, whatever guy eventually believes they are lucky enough for her, better damn well know his buckeye football!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

4 stages of life:

• You're Children to your Parents then..........
  • You're Parents to your Children then..........
  • You're Parents to your Parents then...........
  • You're Children to your Children  
+3 HS
RBuck's picture

The three stages before you're 30:

1. You believe in Santa Clause

2. You don't

3. You are Santa Clause

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
OneToughNut25's picture

My little Buckeye girl.  My wife and I are expecting twin boys (ETA: less than a week) ...we already got some Buckeye gear for them.  (see below)

Kissing Brutus
First Buckeye Game!  (Buffalo)

We got the head gear for our twins!

Head gear for our future Buckeyes

+10 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Not sure why I'm having such a hard time uploading, but have ones of my 2 year old and 6 year old.

My son knew most of the words to The Buckeye Battle Cry and Carmen Ohio before his 5th birthday. Also knew who Brutus was, by name, since he was in diapers.

Curt Heinrichs's picture

My wife and I (both '08 grads) recently found out that we'll be adding another Buckeye to our home in November (between MSU and Minnesota weeks). Our 1 year old drooled at the news, which I take as her way of celebrating. 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats Curt - time to start loosing sleep again

Curt Heinrichs's picture

By saying I'll lose sleep, that suggests that I'm currently sleeping. Thanks for the congratulations anyway!

We didn't find out the gender the 1st time and we won't this time (not my decision!). It's going to be a long wait until November. 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

XC, you've killed it on the anything else threads. Figured I'd give this one a bump.

I am less than 1 week away from meeting my daughter (first child). Damnit if I don't love her already. She is going to be born at OSUMC and we were dreading the whole parking/traffic situation if she were to come on a football saturday.

Chances are she doesn't pop out this weekend and it is an away game in two weeks. She has some pretty damn good planning. 

I'm pumped to watch the second half of the season with her, and blame her for all of the smells in the room.

apack614's picture

We are expecting our first son (Christmas Eve) He is in the 81st percentile on size so hopefully one day he will be a Buckeye and eventually in the NFL then he can take care of me as I will him for the next 18 years!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
ellspar's picture

Scarlett Josephine was born September 5th... 

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

My wife and I are trying for our third.  We lost our first two to miscarriage,  so it's been an emotional first two years of our marriage. Keeping the faith. 

Very happy for everyone on this thread! Good to see all the young Buckeyes! 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

My very sincere wishes and best of luck to you and Mrs. Tater!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Early on in the week I was unsure if I would make it to Dubgate V because of the impending birth of our daughter. After a visit to the doctor middle of the week, we felt confident I'd be able to take in Dubgate in it's entirety.

6:15am Saturday morning, my wife gives me the "it's time" wake up. We toss everything in the car and head for OSUMC. We spent all day Saturday in labor and delivery room (the only room that overlooks the shoe, pic below)

So this was our tailgate all Saturday, Saturday night, and Sunday morning. Finally at 5:43am Carly Jayne decided to make her appearance in the world. 6lbs 14oz, 20 inches long, and a set of lungs that "rivaled any set of lungs this unit has seen in sometime"

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats congrats congrats brother - hope Carley and momma are both doing well. 

Do us all a favor and let your wife know that next time she needs to have better time management.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Thanks SL! It has been a 9 month discussion regarding the timing of her arrival, there are few things more important on a fall Saturday other than buckeye football, my little baby girl is one of them!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

True true - enjoy your new arrival

+2 HS
psibuck's picture

Congrats!  She looks perfect. 

By far, the best L&D room I've ever seen.  What a view!

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Congrats on the new arrival!

+1 HS