Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Buckeye Fans in TSUN

BucksfanXC's picture
February 20, 2014 at 10:48am
38 Comments

I've seen a couple of posters here mention living in "enemy territory" and wondered how many of us there are here. I know we also have the opposite with all the Michigan fans in Ohio that hang around here too. I know it's tough sometimes to be among the rival fans and wanted to just gather here and commiserate.

So roll call all my fellow ex-pats and fans behind enemy lines!

Doc's picture

I live near Toledo.  Does that count?

"Say my name."

+6 HS
Oyster's picture

Do you guys still have the motto "At least we're not Cleveland" on all the city limit signs?

+2 HS
Doc's picture

Not that I've seen, but I very rarely venture into Toledo proper.  My home address is actually Bowling Green, but my office is closer to Toledo.  The economy has helped Toledo to get closer to Cleveland, if you know what I mean.

"Say my name."

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Bowling Green is considered Toledo? I guess it's close. My parents divorced and my mom moved up to Michigan and I went with her. Bowling Green was the halfway point between Mom in MI and Dad in OH and so lots of meeting at the Speedway off of 75 in my memories, eating at BGSU campus' many options.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Earle's picture

But at least Cleveland has coloring books.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

Correction:  Coloring Tomes!

+3 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

And, as a bonus, it's not Detroit!!

Football is complicated...

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I hear Toledo is pretty divided so I'm sure it's rougher than C-bus being a Buckeye fan, but it's not totally enemy territory. I went to high school 20 mins from the Big House so I was in minority for sure. I made friends with all the MSU fans to even things out.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Toledo ex-pat here, born and raised, then got the rock out...

Toledo is pretty evenly split.  Seems to swing 60/40 depending on whomever is winning.  Seemed like in the 90s there were more TTUN fans...seems like now there are more Buckeye fans.  Thus, I'd say it evens out to 50/50.  You can usually tell by how much gear of each is at the local Toledo sporting goods stores.

The issue though is that Ann Arbor is only 45 minutes and C-Bus is a good 2.5 hours.  Its got that battle ground feel thanks to it being in Ohio but actually closer to TSUN...also the fact that Michigan and Ohio had a brief skirmish over Toledo since some bozo drew a line on a map wrong.  The government gave Toledo to Ohio but gave Michigan the Upper Peninsula to smooth things over.  Many Michiganders say that they won the war, since Ohio ended up with Toledo.  Many people know that, I'm sure, but just an fyi for the folks that didnt.

It's tough for me, having lived in Columbus for so long now, to shake that "oh hell no...no he didnt" type initial reaction to seeing people wearing TTUN gear in Toledo.  You randomly see people here in Columbus being "that guy" who purposely walks around in sun and blue garbage...you know, the Brady Hoke - Benedict Arnold - Judas type.  Just so used to being entrenched in Buckeye country, its hard to get used to seeing the enemy walking around not being harassed.

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Sidebar - When Toledo beat scUM in the big house, it was so awesome on so many levels...but what I really enjoyed, was being able to tell the joke:

Did you hear they cancelled the OSU vs UM game this year!?  Yeah, they had to cancel it because UM couldn't get past Toledo!

The game was in Columbus that year too...so the joke was just perfect.

+3 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

The first time i had heard that joke, I just loved it. Very witty and clever. +1 

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Man I go to C-bus a couple times a year to see a game and visit friends/family and every time I see a person wearing OSU gear my eyes light up and then I realize, "oh yeah, I'm not in MI still, it's the normal thing to do here and that's the 987th person I've seen in OSU gear."

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Yeah, I know this feel. I spent my entire childhood and adolescent life in Ohio, unlike the UM fans I met there. Most of them had never even been to Michigan.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

To those unfortunate to be in enemy territory.. Godspeed. 

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I sincerely wonder how many times I have been overcharged or had my food altered because of my gear....

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I used to go after school to downtown Ann Arbor and eat at this sub shop, wearing my Archie jersey. I'd look at the cooks behind the counter, they'd be giving me the stinkeye. I'd just stand there and watch and they'd know I was watching closely and why. They'd keep looking over their shoulder and I'd just yell out, "you're gonna spit in my food, aren't ya?"

+1 HS
zhamilton05's picture

I live about 15 minutes south of Detroit and have been known to proudly don a tOSU sweatshirt while eating at Zingerman's Deli in AA. It's been fun needling my friends and neighbors up here as the Buckeyes have thoroughly dominated Michigan the last decade. However, I noticed a strange phenomenon last season. UofM fans--who normally detest and ridicule all things MSU--crossed over to root on Sparty against Ohio State, and rejoiced at the outcome of the B1G Championship game almost as if the Wolverines had won!

I told my MI buddies, "At least Ohio State brought together the state of Michigan, amiright?" Didn't get much of a laugh.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

This is true. The amount of MSU gear and car attire is ridiculous now. Theres no way all these people have been lifelong Spartans.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Yeah, I'm in Lansing so this year was rough, but I told them all to enjoy it while it lasts

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I grew up Downriver. Whereabouts are you?

+1 HS
BuckeyeLaw's picture

I'm in Toledo and it is disgusting how many TTUN fans reside here.  

OSU 2011 - Toledo Law 2014

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I'm sure they haven't been as bad the last 13 years.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
BuckeyeLaw's picture

My first year of law school was the first time TTUN beat us in, seemingly 100 years, and boy did they let me hear it. Then again after the basketball game a couple weeks ago they were all vocal. It was nice to let them remember that was the first time they won in Columbus in nearly 13 years and that in football and basketball, combined, we are something ridiculous like 35-15 in the last 15 years against TTUN. 

As with any fans of TTUN though, the only thing that matters is who won the most games in the 1800s.

OSU 2011 - Toledo Law 2014

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I hate the "All-time Record" crowd. Pre-Civil War Champs! Congrats on clinging to that literal dead horse

+1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I went to school at BG for a few years (college) and luckily it's pretty pro-Ohio State. There were more Ohio State fans than BG fans at BG. Ha ha. 

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I think that's every college in Ohio, more OSU fans than the schools own fans. People here in MI don't understand because in MI you have UofM and MSU. In Ohio, there is only OSU. And it's like religion, it's everywhere you go, it's all the time, it's in your face. Here in MI, if you live in SE MI, you're generally a UofM fan. SW and Central MI are MSU, the northern part is split or don't care because they are hunting and don't know what football is.

OfficerRabbit's picture

I live about 20 minutes NE of Ann Arbor (in Plymouth) and I'm in Ann Arbor 2-3 times a week for work. I ask myself everyday why I live in this shithole state.  I've been here about 5 years now, and it still pains me to see all the piss and blue worn around the area (not to mention increasing amounts of green and white).

For the most part I've had a pretty easy go of things, mostly b/c UM has been terrible the last decade and the fans don't have much to beat their chest about. Most Spartan fans have been cordial (they know all about losing games) about the B1G Championship Game, although I've had a few idiots boasting, saying Ohio sucks, blah blah. Interestingly, I've encountered a new species of Michigan State fan, that being the wolverine fan living vicariously through MSU and their big win. For two fan bases that hate each other so much, and for all the "little brother" talk, UM fans sure have relished the UM MSU victory over us.

Sigh... hopefully my wife and I can get out of this state before it comes times to have kids. I'd hate to raise children in a state that smells like hotdog water.

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I like the Plymouth area, pretty nice little downtown, if not a little on the houtie-toutie side. I've seen the UofM fans try to latch onto the MSU success and it's a little pathetic. I've found a lot of Ohio State fans hate MSU just for having the M-word in their name, and until recently MSU doesn't really hate OSU because we share a common enemy. But it's interesting to see UofM fans try to align with MSU since they beat OSU.

+1 HS
OfficerRabbit's picture

Yeah we like Plymouth, well kept, safe, and tons of bars and restaurants within 5-10 miles. We kind of figured if we're going to be stuck in Michigan, we might as well like the city we live in. Kind of reminds us of Dublin outside of Columbus.

More to your original point, I think I read somewhere that the Detroit OSU Alumni chapter gets together regularly to watch games in the fall. I think it was in Royal Oak, or maybe Birmingham? I'm not an OSU alum (Miami myself, BG for my wife), so I never really looked into going to watch a game with them. It gets old being 1 of 2-3 people rooting for OSU in a crowded bar, especially when people wearing green or blue specifically start rooting against OSU just because I'm there. I make a point to watch big/important games at home or at a friends so I don't have to deal with idiots... get a few Two Hearted's in me and things start to go down hill.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I don't go watch games in public and I only ever go to the Big House on non-OSU games. I think the probability of a fight is just too high.

Seattle Linga's picture

University of _ichigan ------------------- will the last person to leave - please turn out all the lights.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I'm sure the guy that saw my license plate last summer on M-59 in Pontiac and was blowing his horn with his arm out the window yelling "O-H! GO BUCKS" is a contributor on here. Reveal yourself!

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I was about to ask what your license is, then I saw your username and avatar. Well played. I work in an office building with a guy who has a UofM plate with the block M in front of the license "ORONS"- that's trolling hard

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

That plate is beyond famous. My boss saw one the other day on a panel van that had the "M" followed by a variation of "sucks". Said he tried to snap a pic of it to show me (which BTW at least once a day people photograph my plate...I cant be mad though, I kinda bring it on myself)

+1 HS