Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

O.C. Tanner Inspiration Award - Please Vote for USA Olympic Athlete Nick Baumgartner's Son

BlueBayou's picture
February 18, 2014 at 6:33pm
5 Comments

Fellow 11W community members, I would like to call your attention to the O.C Tanner Inspiration award.  Please see below for what it represents in their own words.

We're proud to support this year's Olympic and Paralympic athletes in Sochi. As part of our commitment to honoring great work, O.C. Tanner designs, creates, and donates rings for every U.S. athlete who participates. Just as importantly, we take the time to celebrate the support given by family, friends, coaches, and communities. For behind every athlete, there's someone who ignited the spark. Who believed all along and made the impossible, possible. Take a moment to read and share these inspirational stories submitted by our Team USA athletes—then vote for your favorite. Your votes will help determine the winners of the O.C. Tanner Inspiration Award, a hand-crafted 14K gold commemorative ring.

A family member of mine, USA Olympic Snowboarder Nick Baumgartner (Snowboard Cross) nominated his son Landon.  Unfortunately Nick was unable to bring home the gold in his event, so I'm asking for your help to make his son Landon a winner of these 2014 Olympics.  Please visit the link below to vote.  Thanks in advance for your help and go U.S.A!

http://www.octanner.com/olympics/2014/nick-baumgartner/

hodge's picture

Done.  Nice that I didn't have to give my email, either.

Shame Baumgartner didn't medal; the US hasn't exactly been up to their traditional standards of dominance this year in Snowboarding as whole, really -- even if it is good that people are starting to realize that the sport is bigger than Shaun White.

+1 HS
BlueBayou's picture

Thanks Hodge.  It is a shame.  He's been working really hard, and we were hoping his experience would be an advantage in the conditions they have been facing.  This year it was some bad snow (rain made the course kind of slushy and sloppy).  Four years ago when he was in the finals one of the competitors hit him coming out of the gate taking him out of it immediately.  It is always going to be something though and you just try to overcome it.  We are really proud of him.  He gave it his all and carries himself with a lot of class.  You can't ask for more.

It has been a down year for the US snowboarding as a whole.  Makes you wonder if the rest of the world is catching up to us. 

Thanks again Hodge.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

It has been a down year for the US snowboarding as a whole.  Makes you wonder if the rest of the world is catching up to us. 

Ehhh, that's only because the greatest snowboarder in the world doesn't really do competitions.  Travis Rice hails from Wyoming.

+1 HS
BlueBayou's picture

Maybe we can petition the Olympic committee to add big mountain freestyle as an event.

+1 HS