Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

OT: Car Stereo Help

gonzogrover's picture
February 11, 2014 at 11:56am
31 Comments

My car was parked outside overnight last night in the very cold weather here in western Ohio. I start it up this morning and the stereo wouldn't work at all, no sound. Not when the radio or CD player was on. I made a short trip, started it up again and now there's a sound but it's just a loud and very high pitched tone. Any tips as to what to do or am I going to have to spend some money on this?

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Has your car's engine warmed up completely yet?  Take your face plate inside where it's warm, get you car nice and hot - to the point where the engine and the inside are toasty and try it again.  

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
gonzogrover's picture

The second drive was about a 40 minute drive so it was nice and toasty by the time I shut the car off again.

Hmm.  Well that's not good.  I had the same problem with mine in cold weather.  I just waited until the car was hot and then turned the radio on and it was fine.  If you have the patience, wait it out and see what happens.  Otherwise, car stereos aren't that expensive....

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Get in your car and drive about 1200 miles south.  I'm not sure it will help your stereo, but you'll probably mind a lot less.

Italics are for emphasis.

+6 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Is this a factory or after market radio?

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Getting the car warmed up all the way is a good idea like others have mentioned especially if the face isn't removable.  if that doesn't help try disconnecting the battery and letting the car sit for a half hour or so and then hook it all back up and see if the radio doesn't reset.  worth a shot

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I tried something similar in a Honda I had a few cars ago.  When I got a new battery the radio required a factory code to get it to turn back on.  I called Honda America and they told me to take a to a dealer...the dealer told me it would be $150 to get the radio "unlocked" and that it was some anti-theft function...I ended up turning to google and youtube and fixed it in about 5 minutes for $0.00.

This is no help to the OP...but perhaps the moral of the story is Google it?

Also, I like turtles...

+8 HS

Yea, dude, turtles are freaking awesome.

+1 HS

Oops, double post, but I'll take this time and space to re-emphasize that turtles are freaking awesome.

+3 HS
B1G 10 Buckeye Stuck in SEC Country's picture

" Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne 

+1 HS
Doc's picture

This is the exact picture my 7yo uses for his home screen on his ipad.  Turtle Power.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I say get a new car. That might help.

+2 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I wish I could go with this option.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Just from several past experiences I have had some trouble with aftermarket CD players not working in extremely cold weather. The radio usually came on but the CD wouldn't play until after the internals were heated for quite a bit. I know this sounds crazy but check your radio fuse if that's good try hitting the radio in the center with the bottom of your fist really really hard. Ive had luck with that on a few factory sets,sometimes a connection might be weak over time.If all else fails you can order a nice after market deck from walmart for a lot cheaper then you use to be able to. Last month they had 7in. touch screen dvd,in-dash for under 100 bucks.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

check the fuses, the car has one and some stereos have one as well

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Without knowing the car, it is tough to tell.

Like many others have stated though it is due to the cold weather (obviously). So long as you are not having trouble navigating the actual user interface of the unit it is going to be your speaker connections.

With a factory system, many manufacturers will run all of the speakers into one central plug and then that plug connects into the head unit/receiver.  When the connection corrodes, goes bad, loosens over time, the cold weather will magnify it.  Even plastic housings (and metal connection points) will contract is cold weather and hamper the connection. When the connection goes bad, you'll lose all the speakers and get no sound or a static sound. 

If it bugs you that much, you could try removing the head unit and cleaning the contact points for the speaker wire and connection. If that doesn't work then replace the connector, if that doesn't work then I would start replacing all speaker wire. 

However, when it happened in my Nissans (yes multiple). I just suffered through it.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
Doc's picture

"Fonzy" the dashboard.  If that doesn't work, I've got nuthin'.

"Say my name."

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Best line of the day - +1 - I miss that show

Earle's picture

These are all good suggestions, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new website.  Did you log it in on the Bug Tracker?

Italics are for emphasis.

+6 HS

That is just a stupid suggestion.  

Everyone on here knows it.  It's Fickell's fault.

+4 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Pull and re-seat or replace the accessory fuse.  You may have to reset the factory radio, but that's usually a procedure in your owners manual.  Odd things happen to fuses when they get super cold, just like cold solder joints.  Two wires power car stereos, one is constant, one shuts off with your ignition i.e. the accessory.  Since there was sound the second time, I'm betting it's the fuse to the accessory power.  It might go away, but fuses are cheap; usually less than a dollar.  Many cars already have spares stored close to the fuse block.  Unfortunately, sometimes there is a second fuse to the radio in line to it's power in the back.  Hope for the easy one in the block, or you may have to pull the dash to inspect for the other.

+2 HS
gonzogrover's picture

All of these suggestions sound nice but are frankly over my head. Oh well, upvotes for all that helped (and even those who didn't help but made me laugh). Stopped at a car stereo place and he said the thing needs replaced. I suppose I've spent a few hundred bucks in worse ways.

Thanks again and Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

I never would have guessed he would tell you it needs replaced.  Try AM, FM, IPOD, CD and anything else that connects to it first, just to make sure it is the stereo and not speakers or something else.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

osu07asu10's picture

Humor me,...is it a Nissan?

gonzogrover's picture

2007 Hyundai Tucson. This is literally the first problem it's ever had.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Hmm...best of luck! I know it's a pain when cars start requiring maintenance.  Just be thankful, I have a 2013 Altima that has spent the majority of its life at the shop and is currently in a Lemon Law buyback case!

Seattle Linga's picture

Buy a YUGO - problem solved - I does not come with a car stereo.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Next time get the Quadrophonic Blaupunkt.

-- Nuke

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

Is the radio powering on at all?

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-