Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

OT: Stone drink by 2.14.14 IPA.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture
February 7, 2014 at 8:11pm
32 Comments

Well worth it if you like American, specifically Pacific Northwest, IPAs.  Grab it and drink it soon. 

Earle's picture

I thought at first this said stone drunk by 2/14, and I couldn't understand why it would take so long.

Italics are for emphasis.

+5 HS

Really though. Fantastic beer. I'm mad it's gone. On to the JD Devils cut. 

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
KevinJ's picture

Stone and Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA are my favorite beers, I like the 90 minute as well but you have to be careful with those bad boys, being 9% avb

Dogfish never quite hit my palate. Stone on the other hand is a brewery that matches my palate nicely when they go to extremes. 

hodge's picture

I'm quite fond of the Michigan IPAs, myself. If I were to drink one IPA from now until the end of all things, it'd either be Bell's Two Hearted or Founder's Centennial. 

But, if I'm drinking California IPAs, Green Flash's West Coast IPA is pretty rad. 

+2 HS

I've had all of those. All solid and worthwhile. This one, however, is extreme in its flavor.  If you like the hoppiest of the hoppy IPAs and you prefer the hop flavor to supercede the bitterness, I urge you to try this. 

I'm exclusively an IPA drinker and this one is memorable.  

P.s. dickel rye not on sale since your recommendation. On JD devils cut now. 

hodge's picture

For pure hop flavor, I've never found an equal to Three Floyd's Zombie Dust—holy cow.  I'll give this Stone a shot, though I was never too fond of their Arrogant Bastard (regular or oaked). 

Interesting about the Dickel Rye—it might be running into some distribution issues, I know demand was high. Word is they bought up all the rye that MGP (formerly LDI) had produced; so what they're putting out is what's going to be out there if you're a fan of Bulleit, Redemption, Templeton, etc. Ryes. 

+3 HS
DiasporaBuck's picture

I have a friend who visits Chicago occasionally and brings me back various Three Floyd's beers when he can (they don't sell here in the DC area) but I'm still waiting for a chance to try their Zombie Dust and Alpha Klaus, so color me jealous.  As for my current favorite (D)IPA, it's still a Pliny the Elder clone that I copied from an online recipe (even though I completely botched the conversion to my brew rig.)  It was an intense cornucopia of NW American hop aroma whose citrusy pungence was tempered by the tropicality of simcoe hops.  If the real version is anything like that (the hop aroma did begin to degrade after a month in the bottle, so commercially distributed versions might not have the same olfactory immersion) then I really need to visit the west coast or some other part of the country where they sell it.  As for the comment about rye, I was just singing the praises of Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack black rye ipa in a post on the old site just before they converted to the new format.  As far as I know its distribution is national, and so far it's the best black ipa that I've found - I absolutely recommend it.

OSU Class of 1999

+1 HS
LABuckeye's picture

I agree on the Wookey Jack. One of my favorite beers ever.

BTBuckeye's picture

Wookey Jack is a great beer.

In the DC area, DC BRAU "on the wings of armageddon" is a tremendous DIPA that nobody talks about. Single hop falconers flight. very delicious. brewery only I think.

I'd agree with you on arrogant bastard. It's mostly a bitter beer with minimal effort on flavor in my opinion/palate. 

We still have dickel here. Although prices are state regulated and I know they can do better than $24. Been wanting to try the devils cut as I love oaky stuff. It's a little hot but still drinkable neat. 

brandonbauer87's picture

Two Hearted really is as good as advertised. 

BuckGnome's picture

Stone is awesome, I LOVE their regular IPA, can't wait to try the 2.14.14

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

< Broke guy here. Trying to choke down some Natty Light...can't wait til I'm rich.

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS

It's not so much about money for me (athough it is sometimes), it's more about time.  If I have the time to sit and drink all day, I'll go with a light American pilsner - Coors, Keystone, Natty, Miller, etc.  However, if I'm sitting down after dinner or work and only having one or two, I prefer them to be a thicker, more flavorful beer that I can sip on for an hour.

+3 HS
Phickell's picture

Tonight I'm switching back and forth between Bell's Hopslam and Lagunitas Sucks. Both delicious. Every Stone Enjoy that I've had has been incredible. I live in Ithaca, NY and Ithaca Flower Power is as good as any of them. 

+2 HS

I don't think I've ever seen zombie dust (hodge) or flower power. I am a fan of lagunitas but not the sucks or brown sugga.  I do like the lil sumptin sumptin. Even hop slam is near impossible to get. Never had it either, but I've heard if it around here. Just sells fast. 

Alpo's picture

Lagunitas hop Stoopid is fantastic, and flower power is great too. New England brewing company here in Ct has some of my favorites in SeaHag and Ghandi-Bot, an IPA and a double IPA. They are about to expand outside of Ct so keep an eye open for it- great beers.

anderson.2360's picture

Gotta be careful with that Hopslam. Will put you on your ass

+1 HS
Phickell's picture

Ha! I had three last night and felt a little rough this morning. I'm glad I only get a six pack per year - it's delicious but that is enough. 

Bucks's picture

Stone is my staple, two hearted when out. I do enjoy ruination and working my local to keep in.

+1 HS
bukyze's picture

Absolutely agree with Ruination.  So smooth, so delicious.  Once it hits your lips, it's so good!

+1 HS
KevinJ's picture

Once you become a Hop Head it's hard to enjoy anything else, although I do enjoy a good brown ale or stout from time to time, I wish I could still get Left Hand in my area they're Ale and Milk Stout were tasty.

+1 HS
Thomas's picture

Victory Dirtwolf is one of the best double IPA's I have had in a while. I have never been a fan of Victory brews, but that blew me away.

LABuckeye's picture

This thread makes me want to visit Stone in Pasadena. I haven't been there since they opened, but I love their beers.

MN Buckeye's picture

And threads like this are why 11W is the best overall site on the interwebz, not just for OSU stuff. I know almost nothing about IPAs, but my daughter just bought me some Red Chair, which I think is pretty decent. I am not a super-hoppy guy.

+1 HS
LABuckeye's picture

Don't worry. Be hoppy.

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

There are three beers I've come across this winter that have really kept me warm during a Chicago winter unlike anything I've ever seen. Deschutes makes a Black Butte Porter and Obsidian Stout that are must tries for the dark beer enthusiast. Two Brothers North Wind Imperial Stout is hands down the best dark beer I've ever had. Its a little pricey at $11\6 but it packs a punch with %8.5 abv. Deschutes makes another dark Imperial called The Abyss that to date I have yet to locate. I started my foray into the dark beer world with Deschutes and have found myself looking for darker and darker beers. The Abyss is a Russian Imperial, which according to  my cursory reading of beer styles is about as dark as dark gets but Deschutes doesn't 'mass' produce it and supposedly is better as it ages.

I'm all for an IPA anytime of the year, and Deschutes (seeing a trend) makes a great one. Their Inversion IPA is really good. They make a great 12 pack sampler, providing 3 of 4 different kinds of beers. I prefer more variety and they offer that in their 12. I'd highly recommend Inversion to anyone looking to branch out or expand their existing craft beer palate.

Two Brothers is a Chicago based Micro, if you come across it, anything they make is worth it. Kane and Abel and North Wind are so good it should be criminal.

I feel sort of bad. My roots will always be in the yellow flavored water world of Coors and Miller but have recently found myself struggling to choke them down at family parties, ball games, etc. Sam Adams has even lost its flavor for me and I think I drank all of the Sams in Boston at some point in my life. I've never been this type but I've gone full blown beer snob in the last year. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said about a 24 ounce mug of something light and cold but I can't ever turn away from a craft beer.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+1 HS
almurray10's picture

My go-to is Columbus Brewing Company's IPA. Local and delicious. Had a couple Stones last night though, also very good. Honestly, give me any IPA and I'm good to go.

+1 HS
GABuckeye's picture

My favorite is Terrapin Hopsecutioner - good stuff!  I'm a sucker for IPAs in general though.

I'm drinking their "big hoppy monster" now. It's only ok. Partly because I was expecting an IPA and its a red (base style). For anyone interested, it seems like a style merge of a marzen and an IPA. It's formally known as an imperial red.  It's very malty and slightly less hoppy. 

sbentz4's picture

Really enjoyed the Southern Teir 2xIPA. Also, enjoy Boulevard 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer.  I typically like breweries that are more local because the beer typically moves faster and is generally more fresh.  Freshness is really key for hoppy beers.  Many of the Cali beers have been sitting around here in the midwest plus travel so you never know how fresh it is.