Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

The Fitness Thread

Unky Buck's picture
February 7, 2014 at 11:25am
41 Comments

Since we obviously lost the old forum threads, I figured I'd get this back up and going.

Use this thread as a way to post any stories about weight loss (I know there are quite a few of us around here who've lost quite a bit), questions pertaining to any fitness related topics (diets, workout regimens, etc.) , any upcoming events, photos of from past events, etc.

We have a wonderful community around these parts that can help in a variety of ways and from my own weight loss journey, I understand what a "cheering section" can do for one's psyche when a snag is hit or how it just helps keep the motivation up.

So share away!

Unky Buck's picture

Is anyone going to be running the Cap City Half Marathon? I just started training for it this week and interested to see if anyone else is going to be joining in on what I've been told is a really fun race.

+2 HS
Right Again's picture

I'll be there.  I mostly just run for fitness (not for racing), but I ran a couple shorter races toward the end of last year and it was a blast (OSU 4 Miler and the Hot Chocolate 15K).  I thought I'd signup to run it to keep me working toward a goal in my training.

Jack Fu's picture

I ran it last year but don't really feel like doing it again. Maybe it's because it's been so damn cold that I can't imagine running outdoors. It was a lot of fun, though. Lots of people there, and 13.1 is a manageable distance. I can't imagine running a full.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

I'm running the Komen.  Not quite ready for the half marathon yet.  You'd have to peal me off the pavement after about 6 miles.  Good luck though Unky!

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Thanks Eddie. I've done a handful of 10K's and ran the Pittsburgh Marathon last May. It was my first ever marathon. So a half is a little anti-climatic but I have several goals I want to accomplish with the training and the race itself (under 10 min per mile on average and preferably under 2 hours if I can pull it off). I'm also thinking about running the full down in Columbus in October (I believe) but I'm still wavering there. If I run another marathon, it's purely for the goal of getting in under 5 hours as my Pittsburgh time was 5:19 but came with several hamstring problems that hindered me for about 75% of the training and through the marathon. I want to see what I could do if I'm healthy, but the wear and tear was pretty brutal so I don't know if I want to go through it again. We'll see how I feel after the Cap City, lol.

+2 HS
LABuckeye's picture

If you have a place to go to, I can't recommend trail running enough. There will be less wear and tear on your body. I run 50 and 100 mile mountain races. I can't fathom doing the same distance on asphalt and concrete. I'm convinced I'd die. You can train on trails for road races, too. I exclusively trained on trails in preparation for the LA Marathon.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Buck Agreed - ran a few River Run halfs through the Cleveland Metroparks and wow it was unbelievable. Decided to run a marathon before we moved back out here to the Seattle area a few years ago. Ran the Skagit Flats closer to Canada and yes I decided to run my first ever marathon on the hottest day of the year. 91 degrees - no shade and it didn't matter how much water or gel packs I sucked down.my body was screaming about the 14 mile marker. I now have changed over to biking as running multiple 20 plus miles and 20 plus years will tear up the cartiledge. God speed on your weight loss

gonzogrover's picture

Anyone have any tips for this guy? I work nights, usually 55-60 hours a week and I need to find a way to work out while also getting to hang out with my kids in the afternoon and wife on the weekends. Thanks in advance.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

How much time do you think you could devote on any given day to a workout routine? Also, what intensity level are you able to be at? Any number of things can be recommended, but your free time and what you can handle is probably the 2 biggest things to work around at this point.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

If you can wake up early in the mornings, that would likely be ideal.  I've found after a day at work, the last thing I want to do is workout.  Working out in the mornings gives me a reason to get out of bed, and I feel better and refreshed after it.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+3 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I would prefer to work when I get home from work at around 7 am. I have an elliptical and weights, just need to find a way to be motivated enough to stick to it.

sivaDavis's picture

Simplest way to put it, when you get home and you're tired and just want to go to bed, don't and hop on the elliptical. Bust out a good 30-45 minutes of it, shower, hit the hay and sleep like a baby. Do this everyday. And you have your motivation at home brother. You see it everyday. If you can put it in your mind that you're doing it to be a better man for your family, that's all the motivation you need. And the biggest thing about losing weight is the way you eat, finding out the right food to put in your body at the right times. Small portioned meals, light snacks, no junk food, no pop and only a few juices but mostly water. And honestly, if you're like me and sometimes just need to have a drink, no beer, just liquor. It's all about routine.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I appreciate the help and just need to get myself to start doing it. But I'm sticking to beer. Liquor + me = time spent hugging the toilet.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Siva is correct. You want to get an elevated heart rate for 30 minutes or more (preferably more if you can). You have an elliptical, so up the level or use one of the preset runs and go from there. Once you set a specific amount of time each day for this, after so long it just becomes routine and you can't be without it. Power through 2-4 weeks and you'll be golden.

And as Siva said as well, watch what you eat. I drink a lot of water with fat free skim milk on occasion (usually for breakfast and with my protein shake). I do drink beer and that isn't a problem if done in moderation. I don't drink every day and usually limit it to one night a week (typically Friday's when I'm not training for something). One app that I've found and is incredible helpful is the MyFitnessPal app. If you're diligent enough to keep track of what you're eating throughout the day, you can see where things are coming from and see what you need to cut out.

+2 HS
Right Again's picture

+1 here on the MyFitnessPal app.

I started using it last year and it was a massive help keeping me focused

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I never used it until my 8th and last time of doing P90X. I wish I had it all of the other times now. While I was diligent in watching what I ate (and eat now), there was clearly much that I was eating that I shouldn't have been eating. It's amazing how keeping track of what you eat can really alter what you're consuming. It's definitely allowed me to properly change and monitor what I'm doing.

IH8UOFM's picture

This is what I do. Doing 50+ hour work weeks, the last thing I want to do is exercise while my kids are home..."daddy time" is at a premium. I get up an hour early, hit the gym, lift heavy, head to work and then I'm home when they get off the bus. Has made my life much better.

+1 HS

Any other Illinois Buckeyes running at the Illinois Marathon this April?  I'll be running my first half marathon.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

How is your training going?

Not nearly as good as I hoped.  The ridiculously cold weather prevents me from running outside.  My goal is to get to 8-10 miles by early April, and I can maybe do 2 now.  I figure if I can run that distance straight without stopping, then I should be able to go 3 extra miles on race day.

Unky Buck's picture

On the insanely cold days, it is very hard to run and with this recent winter storm, I've been stuck having to run on an elliptical (level 15) since I have no where to run outside as the side streets aren't all that clear and my hamstring issues last year started from slipping on some ice mid run. I ran on an elliptical for about 60% of that training last year to keep my training going while letting my hamstring heal and here's what I recommend on days of bitterly cold temps (single digits are manageable on shorter runs) or bad weather - run indoors on an elliptical or treadmill. If you do an elliptical, don't run the miles...run the time. Your whole training at this point is predicated on being able to run a distance for an extended period of time. Your body needs to be used to doing something physical for an extended period of time. So what I do is pick a flat minute per mile time and whatever mile I need to run that day, I'll set it for those minutes. So right now I've been around 9:30 per mile, but I'll use 10 minutes just to make it easy. Today is a 3 mile run so when I leave the office, I'll head to the gym and run on the elliptical for 30 minutes. However far that is, great (I make sure I give myself enough time to get to the set miles completed), but I'm running for 30 minutes.

At this point, that might be the best I can give you. Some of the more experienced runners may have a better solution, but it did work for me last year.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

We got my kids an XBox for Christmas and one of the "games" is a fitness game (Your Shape) that I've recently been using due to the freakish Arctic weather that prevents me from either running outside or going to the gym. It's been a pleasant surprise and consistently kicks my ass if I keep upping the difficulty level (which is not too high at this point). I'm guessing a lot of the success so far is the "shock your muscles" value that everybody preaches as I'm normally a 3-mile a day runner with some occasional lifting. Whatever the case, I've actually worked in about 2-3 workouts a week on the XBox alone, don't have to leave my house, and, from start to finish, can be done in 30 minutes.

+2 HS
willshire58's picture

I don't really have anything new or earth-shattering to add, but I've been working out and/or running almost everyday for the past four or five years. I've done at least a couple rounds each of p90x, Insanity, and Body Beast while trying to run every other day in conjunction with the workouts. The problem was that I could never really get rid of the hard to lose fat around my waist, hips, etc. no matter how much I ramped up my ab routines or increased my running schedule. I've now completely changed my diet and within a month and a half I've dropped 15 lbs and pretty much all of it was from around my stomach and hips. I wouldn't say my diet was ever that terrible, but I just never gave it much thought. I guess the moral of my story is that if you are unhappy with the results of your training ritual, maybe take a good, hard look at your diet instead of trying to find a new, better workout regimen like I did for so long.

+5 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Just curious,  did you follow a certain diet, like paleo, or anything like that, or were you just watching what you ate more closely? 

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm curious too because I've had the same issues. Now, I've had 2 surgeries on my stomach (an appendectomy and a hernia surgery to fix those muscles like 4 years later), so I know those can hinder it a little bit, but I feel like after 4.5 years, I should be closer to what I've wanted (a nice flat stomach) and I'm not there yet. Now, I do know that my last time through P90X (and I'm doing it through my half marathon training) I had my best results with a low carb diet (no flour products and no more than 125 g per day) but still didn't get there. I feel I can make another push at it with running, but I want to see what he did to see if it's along the same lines as what I'm doing right now.

+2 HS
willshire58's picture

Sorry, I meant to include what the diet it is in my original post. I'm not sure there is a name for the diet, but it certainly falls a little under Paleo, Gluten-free, etc. The diet cuts out all processed foods. So anything made with flour is out and anything with brown sugar or some sort of complex/fake sugar is out too. I end up eating a lot of chicken, fresh fruit and vegetables, eggs, and quinoa. I combine this with drinking half my weight in ounces of water a day. My usual day is two hard boiled eggs and 100% orange juice for breakfast, some sort of salad with chicken and oil and vinegar as the dressing for lunch, and a chicken breast, quinoa, and fruit for dinner. If I need a snack I'll eat nuts(usually pistachios) and raisins. I don't count calories and I eat pretty generously sized portions. I don't eat a ton, but enough so that I always have the energy needed for working out and running. It seemed pretty radical when I started, but I actually really like it now. I'll go off diet for special occasions or when I don't really have the option of eating healthy. The nice thing is that all forms of alcohol are okay. The only issue is I don't do mixers for liquor so I mostly stick to beer or manhattans. Hopefully this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

This was nice to read. This at least gives me confidence that I'm heading in the right direction. Right now, and I've done this before, my carb intake is low, no more than 150 g per day but the grams are coming in the forms of fruits and vegetables. No flour products and no processed foods (I typically don't like processed foods anyway and attempt to make as much as I can from scratch). Much of what I eat on any given day are eggs (typically about 6 of them as I'm still trying to build solid, lean muscle), lean steak or chicken (typically in a salad), and fruits and vegetables. I'm doing some shopping tonight and will need to get some more snacks, so nuts may be the route, even though I'm not incredibly fond of most nuts.

One of my best friends is a big time health advocate so I frequently chat with him about what he's doing and if I need to change something. This stomach is my last hurdle and from there it's maintaining all that I've worked so incredibly hard to achieve. The surgeries may prevent 6-pack abs, but that flat stomach (which is close) is attainable I believe. I'm just going to keep working for it.

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

I can second this.  Insanity Interval training dropped 10 off of me in 10 days . I switched my diet after that along with the workouts and the weight really flew off.  I was given the advice of, "if you can't pick it, grow it, or kill it, don't eat it."  Basically, nothing processed by any means; no bread or processed pasta, rice is ok.  I ate 5 times a day, nothing within 3 hours of going to bed ( 3 meals, 2 snacks, celery & hummus anytime) for 6 days, and had a "don't go crazy" cheat day on the 7th day.  Fruit and proteins early in the day; a mix of veggies, smaller fruit portion, and protein for lunch as my big meal; then heavier on the protein and veggies for dinner. 

My body shrank like Costanza when he went swimming.

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I lost some weight, but unfortunately I found it.

+3 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Yea I'm all aboard the change your diet thing.  It is just so much more important than working out it isn't even funny.  Eating junk food, then running it off is just not feasible with a normal life.

My week day diet is:

2 eggs and egg whites with hummus for breakfast

Chicken breast/thighs with butternut/acorn squash for lunch

Tuna/Chicken salad with crackers for 3 pm snack (last real carbs of the day)

DInner is some sort of protein with green veggies (my go to lately has been shrimp with bok choy/broccoli stir fry.  Easy and effective

Weekends I let myself go a little more, will try and do good half my meals on weekends, then have a couple of cheat meals to keep sane.  I like eating healthy, and i feel and look better, so it isn't that difficult to keep going for me

In regards to workouts, if you don't have a lot of time, I'd do interval training.  30 second sprint as hard as you can, 1:30 walk, 8-10 times once a week, and 1:00 run, pretty fast with 2 minute walks 6-8 times another time per week.  If you lift weights as well 2 times a week, that should be enough

+1 HS
weirdscience's picture

Cool thread. For the last two years, I've been lifting heavy 3x/week and doing Crossfit 5x/week. It's been great, but if I had access to a pool I would definitely swim regularly too. 

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I recently got back into weightlifting, so three times a week I lift weights using Starting Strength Training. However because I live in an apartment and use my own squat rack I had to sub out the cleans for bent over rows so its a little modified. I also engage in vigorous playtime with my dog out in the snow. Don't laugh but chasing a dog around in ankle deep snow for a half hour or more really gets the heart pumping! I've also been taking ice cold showers every day and have been eating healthier. Meat, eggs, whole grains and veggies only. My goal though is to put on good weight and lose bad weight. I'm 6'2" 210lbs and would like to be around 230lbs of muscle.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

230lbs of muscle

That's a whole lotta muscle! Haha, but seriously, I'm about the same measurements (215 instead) and what's funny is I'm currently just looking to add some lean muscle and cut about 15-20 lbs. So while I'm training for the Cap City, I'm doing 2 nights at the gym doing a legs routine one night (to keep the leg muscles strong as I don't want hamstring issues again) and an upper body routine (I'll pair 2 together, so either a chest and back or a shoulder and arms routine). I want to see what I can do with this training regiment and see what results I can get as I'm also on a lower carb diet (no more than 150 g per day and just chicken/steak/seafood, eggs, veggies, and fruits along with some dairy products). I'll see what I can do with it and then move from there. I think it'll get me close to what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'll find out for sure in 2.5 months.

+1 HS
Ohioste's picture

I guess I'll add my two cents. I've lost 22 lbs in the past 4 weeks. 

My diet consists of eating completely clean as someone mentioned above. Don't remember him saying it but I take it a little further. Everything has to be organic/grass fed/free range. No pork since it causes inflammation. I've found some really good websites for recipes and have made some really good things with coconut flour and almond flour and sugar alternatives(stevia, xylitol, etc).

My workouts consist of HIIT. I work out for about 15 minutes and make sure I can't move a muscle in whichever pair of muscle groups I'm working out that night. I play basketball 1 to 2 nights per week. 

I feel better than I have in a long time. I have a ton of energy. I'm in a similar boat where I work about 50-60 hours a week and have a 6 month old so my time is precious. I can spend 15 minutes a day to kill myself and I've already had comments about how much people can tell a change, not only from the weight loss but from the definition. 

I've lost 20, but would like to cut another 30. 

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

So I tried to get on a program and train for a 10k then a half-marathon but some small nagging injuries slowed me down. I'm down probably 25lbs over the last year but I need to get back on a program as right now I'm stagnating just doing small stuff 3-4 times a week. Enough to get a sweat worked up for 30 mins and then I'm done. I need to get back outside really. Elliptical just doesn't do it for me and treadmills are worse. It's supposed to be warm enough next week that I could probably run outside and I think I'll plan on it.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Unky Buck's picture

Have you tried stationary bikes? I imagine it'll be the same, but figured I'd ask.

The best way to not get stagnate, IMO, is to keep mixing up what you're doing. If you continue doing the same workouts over and over on a daily basis, your body will learn to adapt to it and you may plateau. If you can switch up workouts or increase and decrease the intensity of workouts (i.e. 1 week do an upper body of lighter weights and more reps; the next week do the same workout but maxing out.) as you go along, you'll prevent that. 

One thing I've come to learn too is that if you're trying to lose weight, you really want to try and get a solid 45-60 minutes (at least) of a workout with an elevated heart rate. Thirty minutes will just get things going but not really do a ton and you may feel like you're not getting anything accomplished because of it.

Just my 2 cents given what I've learned over the last 4.5 years.

chitown buckeye's picture

Like many here, I'm also in the process of trying to she'd pounds. I started at 260lbs at start of the year my goal is to see the wonderful "1" number again. I've been doing well with diet and working on portion control, etc... I've always needed something to train for to help the motivation. Years ago (abt 80lbs ago) I was active in triathlons, I'm looking to get back into it as it was always fun and mixed up the workouts. So far so good to start the year! I haven't looked at the scale as I don't really want to worry about the number but I am already tightening the belt and noticing pants are loose.

The one issue I am having is shin splints. I'm obviously overweight and I carry all my weight in the stomach/chest and I have legs that would make a 14yr old girl jealous. I have been running 2-3 times a week no more than 2 miles continuesly. I've been mixing up bike, swimming, even mixing in eliptical to ease some of the pounding, as well as some weight training but I have noticed my lower legs are sore and hurt. Anyone else having or have had this issue? I know as I begin to lose weight it will help with the pound on the legs but curious if anyone has any advice. Ice? Hot tub? Etc... That I could do post workout to help. Thanks in advance and everyone working on the weightloss keep it up!

"I'm having a heart attack!"

Ohioste's picture

Running backwards has always helped my shin splints. 

Buckeye Knight's picture

My goals are different from most of the people posting, but after taking about a year off working out, I wanted to get my strength back quickly.  So I decided to give the Westside Barbell method a shot (never done it before).  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this routine.  For me, moving heavy weight is the most motivating factor, not so much what I weigh on a scale.  In just 1 month I'm getting pretty close to being back at my peak over a year ago.

If building strength is a top priority for you, too, check out the following links:

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/starting-guide-westside-barbell-train...

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westsid...

Unky Buck's picture

**BUMP**

I haven't been in this thread in quite some time, but I figured that with limited time tomorrow to be around these parts, good luck to anyone else running in the Cap City Half Marathon! The playlist is ready and I'm shooting for under 2 hours and hoping this tweaked hamstring will allow for that. But again, good luck!

+1 HS