Hummel's Back

November 3, 2011 at 8:28a    by Chris Lauderback
26 Comments
26 Comments

Comments

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

When I think about players like Hummel I worry about who we have to guard them.  With Lighty gone, I'm not sure any of our forwards can step up to defend against this guy.  Less concerned without Moore and Johnson being there, but still.  Obviously zone doesn't work (eight 3 pointers or some crazy stat like that).  I'm much less concerned with defense at the point position, although Craft got abused by Jordan Taylor early last year. Maybe I'm looking to hard for flaws, but losing Diebs, Lighty and Dallas seems to be a lot.  If we face speedy forwards who can also shoot a decent outside shot, I'm concerned. I guess losing Turner, who was Mr Everything should have been a lot too....

Can't believe the games start Sunday. Anyone from 11W going?  I'm going to next Friday's exhibition or game or whatever it is.

The schedule should have the team prepared for the post season. Would love to be in Kansas for that one.

2011-12 Ohio State Men's Basketball Schedule

Feb. 4 at Wisconsin 2 p.m. ESPN/2 82-65
Feb. 7 PURDUE 9 p.m. ESPN 76-83
Feb. 11 MICHIGAN STATE 6 p.m. ESPN 51-58
Feb. 14 at Minnesota 9 p.m. ESPN 78-55
Feb. 18 at Michigan 9 p.m. ESPN
Feb. 21 ILLINOIS 7 p.m. ESPN
Feb. 25 or 26 WISCONSIN 6/4 or 1 p.m. BTN/CBS or ESPN(2)
Feb. 29 at Northwestern 8:30 p.m. BTN
March 4 at Michigan State TBA CBS/ESPN/BTN
March 8-11 4-at Big Ten Tournament TBA TBA
Home games in BOLD CAPS // All Times Eastern and subject to change
1-Global Sports Shootout, Columbus
2-Big Ten/ACC Challenge, Columbus
3-Nationwide Arena, Downtown Columbus
4-Indianapolis

RBuck's picture

According to reports Lenzell Washington is turning into one helluva defender.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Alex's picture

Lenzelle Smith you mean? Looks like our starters will be: Sully, Thomas, Buford, Sibert and Craft with Ravenel, Williams, Scott, and Smith as the main cogs off the bench...add in Sam Thompson and anything JD Weatherspoon can give you and that's 11 deep...this team will find away to defend

RBuck's picture

Of course I meant Smith...slap me on the ass and call me Susie.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

RoweTrain's picture

I also heard he was turning into one helluva crooked cop too.  King Kong ain't got nuthin on him!

Chris Lauderback's picture

Yo, Saturday. I think I'm going Sunday. If not, defintely watching on BTN.com. Also, sorry I didnt get to catch back up with you at E2B. I looked for you and then I realized looking for the "dude in the OSU jersey" wasn't going to do me much good.

For those that don't see it, I'll definitely have a recap up.

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

Do you have to pay to watch on BTN.com?

Chris Lauderback's picture

Normally you do but there's a code floating around for a Free 30 day pass:

BTDN3FR33

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

Nice.  Thanks.

Just realized I hit reply before responding completely.

Sure way to find me is to look near the beer (and I never wear a jersey).  We left early to find food for my wife.  We left right after I scored me a signed Spiels helmet and missed Oden and Titus!!!

Chris Lauderback's picture

You got the Spielman helmet? Nice! Other than the Titus sock, that was the crown jewel.

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

It keeps telling me to enter a valid school?!! Not sure I can watch it on iPad....

Chris Lauderback's picture

From what I've been hearing lately, Smith has been a starter in scrimmages and it's definitely been because of what he's bringing defensively.

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

Who sits when Smith starts?

Chris Lauderback's picture

I heard it was small lineup of Craft, Buford, Smith, Thomas and Sully.

I don't buy the talk Thad will go 10 deep because that's just not his MO but I do think guys 6-8 in the pecking order will see more minutes than in years past so who starts might not be as important as we're used to it being with Matta.

omahabeef1337's picture

Matta uses depth when he has it. The 2006-2007 squad played just about everybody on scholarship didn't it? Connley, Butler, Harris, Lewis, Oden, Cook, Lighty, Terwilliger and Hunter all played. This year is similar in that Matta can run with two PGs on the floor at the same time.

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

Madsen got some time too, right?  Or did he play more the following year because Terwilliger left?

Chris Lauderback's picture

Great point, Beef.  I guess I just have a hunch the current talk of uber depth will minimize as we go through non-conf leading to Thad shortening his bench to about 8 that actually avg double digit minutes. I could definitely be way off in that guess. If it's true Matta wants to play even faster this year, that could defintely be an indicator a 9th or even 10th player will see meaningful minutes but I'm skeptical.

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

It's good to have players with game experience for when we get into foul trouble.  I haven't seen that a lot (foul trouble) with Matta's teams but with coaches complaining about Crafts legs on defense I could see it come up.  I don't think he'll play the bench a lot either. Matta not playing the bench hasn't cost us any games that I can recall.

awwwwwwop's picture

People argue that they wear down by tournament time, not necessarily on a game by game basis. I'm not sure I see it, but that is generally the argument.

"Who cares? Go Bucks." - Aaron Untch

Is it Saturday Yet's picture

It seems like I have that same fear every single year and ponder if it's better if they just lose early in the B1G tourney to rest for the Madness.

Alex's picture

No to throw you Chris, but from what I'm hearing I will be SHOCKED if Sibert is NOT the starter over Smith

BED's picture

I'm just going to go ahead and predict this.

December 3, 2011

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN -- AP SPORTS WIRE

Senior Purdue Basketball Star Robbie Hummel Tears ACL, Out for Season.

The Ohio State University, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2006
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Class of 2009

Chris Lauderback's picture

That's cold blooded. That said, nothing would shock me less. Dude is a combo of brittle and bad luck. I do love his game though, when healthy.

BED's picture

Oh, I like him personally too.  I'm not wishing him any ill will.  I'm just calling what I think will occur.

The Ohio State University, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2006
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Class of 2009

Chris Lauderback's picture

Oh, I know. I was cracking up at your press release.

BED's picture

Glad to know I provided some entertainment.

The Ohio State University, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2006