2013 Cleveland Heights (OH) High School WR Shelton Gibson is one of the biggest remaining targets on the Buckeyes' recruiting board. The 5-10/175 pound wideout would fill a big need for the Buckeyes (an offensive play-maker). I chatted with Cleveland Heights Coach, Jeff Rotsky about Shelton's recruitment last night. Here's the latest:
- Ohio State: "He likes Coach Meyer quite a bit, he also like Coach Zach Smith, the receivers Coach. He was there this summer and performed really well at the football camp. He has really liked his game visits too."
- Visits: "He'll visit West Virginia (this weekend) and Ohio State (in January). For the rest of the visits, we have some decisions to make. Whether he wants to go as far as Oregon or to see what happens with some of the Florida schools. He might even visit Nebraska. The key is to find a good coaching staff, that will treat him well and use him in multiple ways, whether it be at receiver, kick returner, or punt returner."
- Army Ceremony: "Today (Thursday) was a great day for him. The army bowl came in and gave him a great ceremony. The ceremony was unbelievable. There were a two-three reps from the Army there, got his jersey, and gave a great speech."
- OSU Leader: "I would say so, yes. He has built a really strong relationship with Coach Meyer and so I have I. I was proud to sent Kyle Dodson to Ohio State last year and he really likes it in Columbus, he had the redshirt this year because of his shoulder, but he'll be ready to go next year. Coach Meyer also treats him like a son."
- Timetable: "I'm not sure, it's whenever it feels right in his heart and soul. It could be in a few weeks or in February."
- Factors: "Who's going to look out for him, if something bad happens back home, who's going to take him in? Football wise, the offense, he fits great in the spread. He's a Percy Harvin., Tavon Austin type of player."
- Strengths: Fast, competitive, shifty.
- Wants to compete for early playing time.