Last night on the outdoor courts by Lane Avenue, Buckeye students got their first glimpse of the 2013-14 basketball team. The event was for a promo video shooting, for the video that will be shown before home games. The event started out as a casual scrimmage before turning into a dunk contest, but here are a few takeaways that I had as well as some interesting tidbits:
- Kam Williams showed some flashes of potential, and reminds me a little bit of Nate Robinson, not only with his leaping ability but with his play style. Williams was a little shorter than I was expecting (probably a touch shorter than Craft), but he can really get off the floor. Williams is definitely a natural scorer, and has a very short memory when it comes to shooting the ball (which he does pretty well). I think Ohio State has a real playmaker here.
- For those who are wondering, Aaron Craft can indeed dunk (though it took him 4 tries to throw it down cleanly).
- I know it was just a casual pickup game, but Trey McDonald looked pretty comfortable on the court, looked pretty smooth and athletic. I think McDonald is going to log a lot of minutes this year with Ravenel gone.
- Amir Williams had a pretty nasty block on somebody (I think it was Kam Williams), maybe this is the year he puts it all together. Didn't see a whole lot from him offensively
- Marc Loving is a legit 6'8" and very athletic. He was really smooth, with some flashes of power on dunks. Can also really shoot it.
- Sam Thompson had a minor lower leg injury so he didn't play.
I'll try to find a couple more videos (including craft dunk) and add to this a little more