I was at last Saturday's showdown at Dayton Welcome Stadium that featured Springfield and Hamilton. Springfield has several players that will attract recruiting attention such as juniors Thaddeus Snodgrass and Davonte James, along with freshman running back Xavier Garland. Hamilton also played a freshman at CB in A'Shon Riggans that could definitely attract some top schools in years to come.
What I saw from Thaddeus Snodgrass:
- Had 3 catches for 76 yards in the game
- 1st catch was a 17 yard reception where he was able to break a few tackles. He showed some strength I wasn't sure he had.
- 2nd catch He beat his man on a route down the sideline for a 48 yard reception.
- 3rd catch was a ball he caught in the last drive that stalled inside the 10. It would have given Springfield the lead with under 2 minutes to go. Snodgrass found a spot in the middle of the field for an 11 yard reception.
- Snodgrass had two other targets in the first half but the balls were not catchable.
- From the little action he got I was impressed with Snodgrass. Springfield really did not feature him on offense like they should but he did well with what he was dealt with. He also was active blocking down the field which is what you like to see. He never took plays off.
What I saw from Davonte James:
- He is listed at 6'3 and 218 pounds. The size is there but sometimes he is exposed because he needs to get a bit stronger, as he is challenged with shedding blockers from time to time.
- Regardless of the strength question, he performed well. He plays inside and really close to the line of scrimmage. James was in on a lot of tackles.
- He is looking to take some visits at games this season but unsure of which ones exactly.
- Snodgrass hoping to be more involved on offense as the season proceeds.
- Has no favorites and has offers from the likes of Michigan State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.
- Was thrilled with his performance and can't wait for the challenge of Middletown's offense.
- He is planning on visiting West Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State for games. James may get to West Virginia's game against Marshall this weekend.
- Looking forward to keep performing at a high level and attract more offers from top programs.