Ohio State has recently put out offers to several 2014 prospects. S Erick Smith, DB Kiy Hester, and DE Solomon Thomas. I caught up with DE Lawrence Marshall, who received an offer a couple weeks ago, and TE Nic Weishar, who received an offer last night.
Lawrence Marshall is a 2014 DE from Southfield, Michigan.
- Coach Vrabel is the one that informed Marshall of his offer.
- Has already visited Ohio State before. He was at a game last season, and enjoyed himself while taking in the atmosphere and meeting the coaching staff.
- He spoke to Coach Meyer on the phone the next night. Meyer conveyed him his desire to bring in Marshall for a visit the weekend of February 17. Marshall said he would take a visit to Ohio State at that time.
- Marshall will also visit Michigan next month.
- He visited Michigan State recently for a junior day.
- The top 3 for Marshall in no order: Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.
- My thoughts: Just like Marshall told me, I see it remaining a three team race. With him taking visits early on and having three midwest schools in mind, I can see Marshall making a decision sometime before his senior season.
Nic Weishar is a 2014 TE from Midlothian, Illinois.
- Weishar has 12 offers from the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt.
- He has a cousin that plays for Indiana and a cousin that goes to Michigan, but not involved in athletics. Neither will impact a college decision for him too much he says, but they'll be good sources of information for him when wondering how it's like to be a student at those respective schools.
- A lot of visits have already been taken by Weishar, including visits to Notre Dame, Michigan, and Oklahoma.
- No school has really stood out yet, and he hasn't really begun to dive into the process too much yet with new offers still rolling in.
- No date has been set but Weishar plans to visit Ohio State at some point.
- Vrabel had been by his school numerous times to check in on him before, but the offer came when Coach Hinton dropped by his school on Wednesday, and delivered the news to his coach.
- My thoughts: Weishar not nearly as far as along in the process as Marshall so I would not expect him to have any type of early college decision. However, anything is possible in recruiting and a future visit can be enough to tip the scales one way or another. I don't foresee that happening, though. There is a long ways to go with Weishar.