Ohio State punter commit, Johnny Townsend of Orlando (FL) Boone made his second trip up from the Sunshine state to Columbus to check out Friday Night Lights. Here are some notes gathered after talking to the rising senior about his latest visit:
- Went up with his whole family and spent six days in Ohio. Attended a baseball camp and also got to see more of the campus, surrounding area, and city of Columbus.
- Called FNL "awesome" and said it was a "incredible experience"
- It was his first time working out inside Ohio Stadium and it was great. He got to work 1-on-1 with Urban Meyer and said "he taught me a lot of things I didn't know. I can't wait to get up there and work with him full time".
- Got to meet Joey Bosa, which was nice because they are both Florida guys. Said the opportunity to get around and meet all the other commits was difficult, but he keeps in touch via Facebook and other outlets like that.
- Said he is trying to help recruit the remainder of the class. Called OSU "an incredible program and place" and he's trying to spread that word. WR Levonte Whitfield and WR Tony Stevens are two players in his area he is trying to get to come to Ohio State.
- He never had second thoughts or regretted his decision, but this trip to Columbus made him even more sure of his choice to become a Buckeye. He got to tour the campus further and meet more with the coaches this time around and it made him "feel even happier about becoming my decision".
- He's not sure exactly when his next visit will be to Columbus, but he said he will try to make it to one or two games this fall.
- His team starts practice on Monday and this season he will punt and play some linebacker and safety.
Townsend showed off his leg in front of the fans at the Horseshoe on Friday and those on hand were very impressed. He has a great chance to start as a true freshman next season for the Buckeyes and we will check in with him throughout the fall to keep you updated on his senior season.