Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Defense, Post-transfer Portal 2024 (TL-DR)

+11 HS
WinningForLackOfABetterWordIsGood's picture
May 1, 2024 at 4:17am
61 Comments

I usually walk the line between homer and “realistic” as a Buckeye fan, so it makes sense that I feel two different ways about OSU’s 2024 defense. But in this case, I can see like, really, really, really different possibilities.

Scenario #1 is, somebody please calm me down because we’re not gonna give up a fucking point all season. If you look at the key player list below, I think there are close to 20 future NFL draft picks (and that list doesn’t include some of the freshmen). I think if the other 132 FBS teams were all given the chance, 110??  115?? would trade their defensive starters for OSU’s backups.

Scenario #2 is, that’s really cool and all, but all of these incredibly talented players are the same guys who have lost to Michigan three straight times, giving up 117 points in the process. So maybe they’ve got too much of Scenario #1 in their heads and haven’t humbled themselves and are just set up for more losses this year.

Personally, I lean closer to Scenario #1. I think Mitchell Melton could transfer to Notre Dame right now like JJB did last year and might be their star DE. He’s probably third-string for us. Jermaine Mathews is either going to knock Igbinosun/Hancock out of the starting lineup or be the best backup corner anyone has seen in years. NOBODY has 10 D-Linemen like ours.

I know. I know.  …  It’s May 1.  … I’ll calm down.  .. But holy shit, look who we got:

DE — Tuimoloau, CCurry, MMelton

DE — Sawyer, KJackson, EHouston

DT — TyliekW, KMcDonald, JMoore

DT — TyHamilton, HKanu, TMalone

LB — CSimon, AReese, GPowers

LB — SStyles, CJ Hicks

S — CDowns, Hartford

S — Ransom, JBonsu

CB — Burke, JMathews, AScott

CB — Igbinosun, LStyles, BWest

CB/S — Hancock, Simpson-Hunt

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 61 Comments